Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD Drawer Locks Closed  (Read 5107 times)

Ole_Man

CD Drawer Locks Closed
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:35:43 PM »
The CD drawer for my CD-RW Drive (E:) locks after a CD has been inserted and the drawer closed.  Until and unless a CD has been inserted it operates properly, i.e. when the button is depressed it opens and when either the drawer is pushed in or the button depressed again it closes.  After a CD has been inserted and the drawer closed the CD performs normally.  I can cause the drawer to operate properly, but only momentarily, by turning the PC off and then turning it on again and as the PC commences to boot up if I depress the button the drawer will open properly.  Alternatively, as the PC boots up I can depress the F2 key to stop the boot up and in such mode the button and the drawer opens and closes properly whether or not a CD is inserted.

I have concluded that my problem has to be within the software somwhere, otherwise the drawer and button would not operate correctly in any mode.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 8200.  The OS is Windows XP Home Edition and SP2 has been loaded, along with ALL MS updates labeled "critical."  The computer is approximately 5 years old. I experienced this exact same problem when the computer was only days old.  In such instance I contacted a Dell Tech, who advised me to delete MS Windows XP and then reinstall it, which I did and which corrected the problem . . . . . until now!  I resist the notion of doing this again, as I wish to avoid all the changes that will take place on my PC if I do.

Does anyone know how I can correct this problem without the necessity of deleting the OS and then reinstalling it?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: CD Drawer Locks Closed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:38:12 AM »
When the drive is locked, go into Windows Explorer, right-click on the drive icon and click Eject.  Does that work?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Ole_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 03:40:53 PM »
Rob,

I'm embarrased to tell you that I don't completely follow your instructions to "go into Windows Explorer, right-click on the drive icon and click Eject."
Where do I find the drive icon in Windows Explorer?  Please bear with me, as I'm an ole man plagued with a condition described as advancing age and failing memory (a wonderful excuse that you are awarded later on in life!)

When I left click on "start;" left click on "My Computer;" right click on the drive icon; and then click on "Eject" nothing happens.  The drawer remains locked.

I am very, very appreciative of your response and I hope that you will continue to attempt to assist me.   THANKS!!!   :-[

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 04:12:59 AM »
Yeah, you've done pretty much what I was suggesting.

There are two possible causes of this problem: software corruption and hardware failure.

In the first instance, a repair installation of Windows XP may work.  In fact if the problem occurred fairly recently, you may be able to go back to a recent restore point, losing virtually nothing in the way of configuration information.

Before doing that however, if it were me, I would try a different CD drive in the computer.  They're not too difficult to swap round, if you have a spare.  It may be that the controller on your current drive is confusing XP.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 05:59:09 AM »
Welcome to computerhope Ole man from Alabama. ;D

You may try going to control panel,double click on system,go to device manager,click on DVD/CD-ROM drives,click once on the drive in question,
then right click the highlighted drive,then choose uninstall and reboot your computer.Windows should then re-install the drive properly. ;D

Rob is my English teacher.He is a real smart person so........
I am just giving you another possible fix.

I am 55 years old.I too am not a whipper snapper. ;D

Sweet Home Alabama!

SNAP!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 06:01:41 AM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Ole_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 08:58:20 PM »
Rob,

Again, THANKS very much for your response and advice.  

Prior to my posting this I did in fact attempt to fix the problem by using the "restore" feature.  I first used the most recent available date, which did not have any effect.  Then I used the oldest restore date, which also did not help.

I do not have a spare CD drive to try replacing the one that is not working properly, but based upon your suggestion I plan to purchase one within the next few days and give that a try.

Street1,

Many, many THANKS also for your response and suggestion.  I have located the uninstall feature you have described, but just as I was about to depress it I got "cold feet" concerning "what if" my computer did not re-install it.  Do I run any risk that this might complicate the problem or is it a certainty that when my computer (which I refer to  it as my "puter contraption") is rebooted it will automatically re-install the driver correctly?

Street1, you are from my perspective (which is at age 70 1/2) a whipper snapper.  But, be patient lad, as with the passing of time and some good luck to remain alive and well you too will lose that designation and in lieu thereof also become an "ole man!"  So, Rob is your English teacher . . . . . I may some day attempt to learn English also.

Thanks again to both of you.  In sincerely appreciate your efforts to help me and I look forward to your further valuable input.

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 11:45:48 PM »
    Hi Ole Man, I just thought I would post a response to your 'Cold Feet' episode. There is no chance that you can make the problem any worse by uninstalling these drivers. If you uninstall these drivers, there is something like a 99.9% chance that if your computer still detects the existance of the CD drive, that it will automatically re-install the drivers. If however it doesn't, you can always manually re-install the drivers, but by the sound of things, either way you can't really make the problem any worse. I would also check inside the comptuer that both plugs are still connected in the cd drive (the smaller one which is called the Molex is the power supply, and the larger flatter one is your IDE connection which tells the computer that your drive is there, if you didn't already know either of them). Good luck with however things turn out.

Ole_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 04:37:52 PM »
    Phoenix910 AND street1 AND Rob,

Rob, I have now acquired the other CD drive you suggested and have uninstalled the old one and reinstalled the new one.  The results was, unfortunately, no change in the problem.  

Phoenix910, as a consequence of the exercise described immediately above I have insured that the Molex and the IDE plugs/connections are connected and firmly seated. (Sounds like I know what I'm talking about here, but that is a false and misleading sound . . . . . I had no idea what those connections were called until you informed me.)  But, unfortunately the problem remains unresolved.

street1,

I finally got up enough nerve and with the encouragement of Phoenix910 and your instructions have uninstalled the driver.  And, as both of you told me, when I booted my "puter contraption" back up the driver did reinstall.  This resulted, however, in no change in the problem.

Now . . . . . in the interim of all this and your much appreciated valuable input, I have made a discovery that I believe narrows down the source of my problem.  The discovery is that when I insert a blank CD OR a CD containing music OR a program CD in to this drive the drawer operates normal and without any problem in the opening or closing of it.  BUT. . . . . when I insert a CD containing copies of digital photographs is when it locks up.  I had not tried any CD other than those containing  digital photos in the drawer until this afternoon.  

The method or routine that I employ to store digital photographs on a CD is to first download the photographs from my camera to my "puter contraption" at the file designated "My Pictures."  Then I view such photos thusly downloaded via the use of my "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" facility.  While viewing them and as an adjunct to such I left click on the  3 1/2 floppy icon at the bottom of the screen and select the CD I have inserted in my drive (E:) to save it to.  With this having been discovered and hereby described, do you think that the software glitch might be in my "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" software and if so, how do you recommend that I correct it??

Again, many, many THANKS to each of you for your willingness to assist me.

I hope that this new found aspect of the problem, as I have attempted to describe herein above, will provide sufficient fodder to light a fire resulting in a resolution.  But, I need and hereby respectfully solicit your assistance in determing what that resolution is.

The Ole Man from Alabama (USA)

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 04:58:37 PM »
      Hi again. It sounds like the problem could be more in your windows software rather than the cd drive itself, but there is a few ways to test each of these which I will mention. You also have another problem - the method you employ to save your photo's will technically not work unless you have your computer set up in a special way (I will go into detail on this further down).

To test if this is a hardware or software problem, you can get your windows XP installation disk and put that in your cd drive when starting windows, and when it says "Press any key to boot from disk", press the space bar. If your computer then goes to a blue screen with some messages appearing at some point, then your computer has a software rather than a hardware problem, as this indicates that when using the most basic cd drivers (the boot/bios drivers) the cd drive works. However, if it does not detect the cd drive or allow access it could mean that your bios is not set up properly, or there is a problem with the IDE connection on your motherboard. You can tell if your bios is set up properly if at some point when starting up, it displays a message on the screen something like "Searching for boot cd" or "Attempting to boot from cd drive". If this is not the case, then you will have to change a few options, but this is not likely so I wont confuse you by explaining this. The other possibility is that quite simply (and I have this trouble sometimes as well) the blank disc is freezing windows, and causing it to stop responding, which brings me too my next point.

You said you save your pictures to CD using the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer save icon. This will not save the pictures to a cd (unless you have set it up specially to do so, which most people haven't), you need a CD burning application to do this. You can buy software such as "Nero", but this will cost around $100 (that's AUD), or you can download free software such as Burn4Free (http://directdownload.burn4free.com/burn4free_setup.exe). You will then need to use this to select the pictures that you have downloaded to your computer, and then burn them to your cd, assuming you have a cd-burning drive (which I think you do if I remember correctly). Keep us posted.

Ole_Man

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 06:02:25 PM »
      Phoenix910,

Many THANKS for your very prompt response.

Will using the XP installation disk (in my particular instance a  CD labeled "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition") in the manner you describe change other setting, etc. that now exist on my computer?  The reason I ask this is that as I have previously describe within my several posts, I had this same problem within a few days after I purchased and took delivery of this PC.  This prompted me to contact a Dell Technician, who consequently had me delete the Windows XP program and then reinstall it.  This fixed the problem, but as I recall left me in a dilema of reinstalling or otherwise correcting other changes that were consequently made.

If I use the method you have described to test whether I have a hardware or a software problem and it develops that I have a software problem, i.e. the screen turns blue, etc.  How then do I correct the software problem.

As concerns the method I have described that I use with respect to downloading digital photos from my camera to my computer and then copying the same from my computer to a disk;  This is the only method I have ever used and I have used it successfully and frequently since about 3 years ago.  I don't recall having made any change to my computer to get this to work.  It always has.  There is, however, one step that I failed to describe which may be the "missing link" toward your understanding why it does.  What I'm referring to here is the fact that I format the CD using a Roxi "Easy CD Creator 5 Basis" software program that came pre-loaded on my computer.  After having done so, then I download the photos from my computer to the thusly formatted CD in the manner that I have earlier described.  And it always works. I have fourteen (14) full CD's on which I have thusly stored photos copied in this method from my computer.

Thanks again for your response and assistance.  I would appreciate your further response.

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 06:22:45 PM »
        In terms of the CD changing any settings or anything like that, you shouldn't have to worry about that, as I am telling you to use that specific disc not because of its contents, but because I know it is a 'Boot Disc', meaning you can start your computer from that disk. The blue screen itself isn't the error, rather the contents of the cd, but by being able to display the contents of the cd in this way, it means that the problem is in windows not the hardware. Once you know that you can boot your computer from a cd (i.e. this cd), do not proceed to reinstall windows or change any settings, just reboot your computer and remove the cd. By showing that you are able to boot from a cd, it proves that windows is the problem, rather than a hardware problem.

In referral to your CD burning methods, you were right about the missing link. I used to use that program and it is the program I was referring to in terms of the special settings that some people change. It is a handy program, and it looks like this cd problem is heading towards a windows software problem. Do you use instant messaging software of any sort?

Ole_Man

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 08:03:05 PM »
        Phoenix910,

I do not completely understand exactly how to perform your instructions of, "To test if this is a hardware or software problem, you can get your windows XP installation disk and put that in your cd drive when starting windows, . . . . . . ."  When do I place the XP installation disk in the drawer / cd drive?  Before I turn the computer off and leave it there as  I turn it on or at some subsequent point after I turn it on?

I do now understand that the intent of the use of the installation CD  in this case is NOT to attempt to use the content thereof, but to determine whether or not the CD drive will recognize the presence and content of it.

I continue to appreciate your and other's responses and attempts to assist me.  Thank You!

Shortly I will be away from my puter contraption until sometime tomorrow (just so you don't think that I have run out on you).

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 10:07:53 PM »
          Insert the CD before you reboot, or just after you reboot.

Ole_Man

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 10:11:14 AM »
          Phoenix910,

I have, pursuant to your instructions, placed the Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition in the subject CD drawer after I rebooted, but before Windows started.  And the results was that nothing happened!  Windows booted up as usual / normal.  The only indication I observed that the Reinstallation CD was in fact in the drawer for drive (E:) was that the light for that drive / drawer came on intermittently and I could hear the whirring sound of the CD.

Street1,

If you are still "in there", I'm reminded of your earlier use of the term "whipper snapper" when I consider the age of Phoenix910, who is 15 . . . . . . now that is a genuine certifiable "whipper snapper!"  Phoenix 1, please don't take offense to being labeled a "whipper snapper."  I must admit that I am smiling a bit that a very astute 15 year old is attempting to assist this "Ole Man" at age 70 1/2 in resolving a high tech issue.  Heck, I have shoes older than you!

Rob,

As the "Resident Troll" who bites, what'a yeah thank now?

Now back to the serious side of all this . . . . . . . Does anyone have any further recommendation as to how I might rid myself of this gremlin that has taken up residence  in my drive (E:) drawer?

Fed

• Sage
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 12:32:24 PM »
            Welcome to Computerhope, try a different disk.