Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What do YOU look for in a website?  (Read 4402 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
What do YOU look for in a website?
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:57:10 PM »
What do you look for in a website?
What attracts you to a page?
What layout, colors, etc...?

For entertainment, or buisness?
(This would make a good FAQ post if anyone is willing, but I just need to find some of this stuff out)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: What do YOU look for in a website?
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 02:25:57 PM »
    Zylstra555.......
    What do you look for in a website?  
     ok , this may not apply to all , but when I go to any website...... it's because I am looking for some information . So with that in mind , lets say I am looking for info on how to build a widget ......... I would google ....... how to build a widget and then based on the results go to a specific site ..........
    Once there :
     I would like the site to load quickly.
    The site must be easy to navigate........ I don't want to have to be looking at a lot of ads and that sort of stuff .........( remember all I am looking for is info on Widgets )
    I do not want to be redirected off the page I'm on ........ if possible.
    Any text information must be pleasing to the eye and easy to read .
    If there are screen shots or pics , they should be sized to fit the page.
    A search engine specific to the site would be extremely helpful....... particularly if the site is very large and contains hundreds of links.
    I'm not impressed with smoke and mirrors , when it's information I'm looking for ........  
    the KISS principale should apply .......... [highlight]K[/highlight]eep     [highlight]I[/highlight]t      [highlight]S[/highlight]imple     [highlight]S[/highlight]tupid.

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:25:08 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 06:16:15 AM »
    I agree with ALL of the above and banner links are a real turn off. Some web pages appear to be little more than this.

A site needs to be unique and as fast as possible. I would prefer substance to fancy pics, streaming video, etc.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 07:40:32 AM »
    I agree.
    I like websites to be fast and easy to use.
    Ads don't bother me - I accept they are sometimes necessary to raise funds for the site, and I have Adblock anyway ;)
    Correctly sized images are nice, and previews of large images/files before they load would be nice so I know if I want to load the whole thing or not.
    Easy to read text is a big bonus, and I dislike very fancy formatted font, with unusual/difficult to read fonts, too large sizes, excessive amounts of different fonts.
    Just my two cents.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
      • Yes
      • JSPCRepair
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 07:54:06 AM »
    Same here.
    Mostly speed, slow loading times and ads are annoying as he** >:(. Easy navigation also a big must.
    Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.