Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installed new HD, computer lagging  (Read 3359 times)

specialkel

Installed new HD, computer lagging
« on: September 30, 2004, 04:27:24 PM »
I recently bought a 120GB hard drive in the hopes of moving everything from my current master drive (20GB) to the bigger one and upgrading to Windows XP.   I currently am running Windows 98.  The 120 GB drive is a secondary drive.

Everything is set up fine, however, my computer now takes about 10 minutes to fully load my desktop (icons, start/task bar, etc) in 98.  Then, when I try to open a new program, the computer stutters/lags until it is open.

Why is it doing this?  Do I need more RAM?  I currently have 384 MB of RAM.

I also want to eventually upgrade to XP (I want to move everything from the 20GB hard drive to the 120GB one and then upgrade).  I've already transferred some things.  It's been suggested to me that I use the 120GB drive as the master and install XP on it.. if I do that, can I still have the 20GB one as the slave without removing 98?

This sounds confusing...

Sorry I don't really know what I am talking about... anyone have any ideas?

Computer_Commando

Re: Installed new HD, computer lagging
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 05:05:40 PM »

(1)...Do I need more RAM?...

(2)...It's been suggested to me that I use the 120GB drive as the master and install XP on it.. if I do that, can I still have the 20GB one as the slave without removing 98?...

(1) On Win98, 384MB RAM does almost nothing, to help.  On WinXP, 384MB is more than adequate.
(2) Good plan.  Create a dual boot.  See this thread:  http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1096500356

specialkel

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 09:23:41 PM »

(1) On Win98, 384MB RAM does almost nothing, to help.  On WinXP, 384MB is more than adequate.
(2) Good plan.  Create a dual boot.  See this thread:  http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1096500356

So, when I upgrade to XP, I shouldn't need to buy more RAM.  Excellent.

Secondly, I was told that if I used the 20GB drive as a slave, it would slow down the computer.  Is this true?  
But I could also upgrade to XP on the 20GB (as the master) and keep the 120GB as a slave and it wouldn't make a difference?

And I apologize for this in advance... but what does it mean to "dual boot"?

Thank you very much for your help...  ;D

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 07:28:07 AM »
Dual Boot

I suggest you use your fastest HDD to install your Operating System on.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 07:28:40 AM by Raptor »