Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: x16 to x8 in SLI mode.  (Read 3843 times)

Eredell

Topic Starter

Beginner
    x16 to x8 in SLI mode.
    « on: January 02, 2007, 10:35:34 PM »
    I've been reading some reviews on some SLI tech MBs and some people say that the PCI-E x16 slots go to x8 while using SLI mode? If someone could just explain to me what that means? It wouldnt mean I couldnt use regular PCI-e x16 cards right? :P

Thanks
    -Eredell

Track

Apprentice

Re: x16 to x8 in SLI mode.
      « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 07:20:14 AM »
      When u have a single PCIe x16 slot, 16 lanes are active. When is SLi or CrossFire each slot is reduced to 8 lanes, because there is no need for 16 lanes for any card on the market. The reason that they do this is somewhat because of power reasons, as there is only 6A allocated to the PCIe slot(s) and 8 lanes will take less power than 16, so having 32 would be too much and each card would not get enough.

This dosent have any effect on any card before the 8800 GTS/GTXs, wich cannot run on 8 lanes, but actually need 16 lanes in SLi mode and there are some motherboards that do have x16 in SLi mode instead of x8.
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

Eredell

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 08:16:07 AM »
        Cool, so two 7600gts would be fine in SLI mode.

Thanks Track!
        « Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 08:16:32 AM by Eredell »

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 08:22:04 AM »
          Cool, so two 7600gts would be fine in SLI mode.

Thanks Track!

Sure will. But the smart thing to do is buy a single card that is as good as two 7600 GTs now and another when the price drops. There is really NO reason to buy two cards at the same time unless they are the highest end and u MUST have 100 FPS and not 80.
          That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

Eredell

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 09:01:21 AM »
            Aye, right now I only am set on one 7600gt.. but for future refrence... though I'll consider a higher grade one but they are pretty expensive  :-/