Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive / Verifying Dmi Pool Data (FIXED!)  (Read 9172 times)

XChrisX

Hard Drive / Verifying Dmi Pool Data (FIXED!)
« on: October 06, 2004, 12:27:07 PM »
So when I did a search for "verifying dmi pool data" this was the first webpage that came up.  I got excited because the info on this page was very resourceful and I have tried everything and nothing.

Here is my problem.  My computer hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" so I did as what was said on this page.  I checked all of my connections for loose connections, I cleared the CMOS, I set the Cmos to "Auto" and it still hangs.  I am building this computer so currently I have no O/S installed.  My hard drive is recognized when I set the cmos on "Auto" but it still hangs on the dmi pool data.  It loads up saying Maxtor(set of letters and numbers) 251gb, etc...  However when I dissconnect the hard drive I get "Disk boot error, boot from disk" meaning I should install the O/S.  Well without a hard drive installed I cannot install the O/S(which will be Windows XP)  

I tried calling Maxtor's 1800 number and nothing.  I just need to know why it is stopping at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and what I can do to get past that so I can install my O/S

Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks a lot
-Chris-
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 11:22:38 PM by XChrisX »

merlin_2

Re: Hard Drive / Verifying Dmi Pool Data
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 01:10:17 PM »
just wondered if you hard drive jumpers are set..and is this an old pc?http://www.duxcw.com/faq/computer/dmi.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 01:11:55 PM by merlin_2 »

XChrisX

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 02:10:47 PM »
it's a brand new pc and the jumpers on the Hard Drive are set to Cable Select.  I was having a problem with getting the pc to boot so I took it back to the place where I purchased the parts because I did all I could so I wanted them to look at it out of my frustration.  The guy told me that the Hard Drive that I currently had installed was bad and encouraged me to exchange the bad one for a new one.  Well I took the pc home and tried to install windows Xp and I got an error msg telling me that I didn't have an HD installed.  So the following day I exchanged the old hard drive for a new one.  Once I finally got the HD installed and saw that it was recognized, I reboot planning just to install windows and thats when I saw The Verifying DMI Pool data.  This might make more sense if my hard drive wasn't being detected because then maybe I could just diagnose it as being the hard drive.  But is it possible that both hard drives could be bad?  Thanks for any help!
-Chris-
P.S. I'm at work but when I get home I'll check that page again and see if any of that info does the trick.  Thanks!

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 02:23:01 PM »
the motherboard should have cdrom install disk try loaded it...

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 02:23:22 PM »
...But is it possible that both hard drives could be bad?...

Same cable or different cable for both drives?

XChrisX

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 03:42:13 PM »
Sorry for the consusion but when I meant both Hard Drives I meant the one that I had to return and the new one that I recieved in place of the bad one.  

I do have a cd rom disc that came with the Motherboard but more than likely it won't load with the current Hard Drive Connected.  None of the installation cd roms load while the HD is still connected.  if I dissconnect it they load fine.
-Chris-

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 03:59:13 PM »
Sorry for the consusion but when I meant both Hard Drives I meant the one that I had to return and the new one that I recieved in place of the bad one.  

I do have a cd rom disc that came with the Motherboard but more than likely it won't load with the current Hard Drive Connected.  None of the installation cd roms load while the HD is still connected.  if I dissconnect it they load fine.
-Chris-

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  Are you using the same cable with the one that you had to return and the new one that you received in place of the bad one.  Did this cable come with the hard drive or was it one already in the computer?  I've had brand new cables (packaged with new hard drives) that were bad, especially the new 80-conductor cables.  Instead of "cable select", configure drive as "master" with no other drive on cable.

XChrisX

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 09:17:54 PM »
I am using the cable that came with the new hard drive.  If perhaps this cable is bad would the hard Drive still be acknowledged like it is?  When I boot up the Hard Drive is noted as the Master drive and gives the specs etc...  Cables are relatively cheap I suppose so perhaps I'll just buy a new one tomorrow and see if that helps.

As far as setting the drive to master, I've tried that before(and just now after you mentioned it) and still nothing.  Usually I wait for a minute or two to make sure that it's truly hanging at verifying dmi pool data.  I'll see what happeneds with a new cable tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestion!
-Chris-

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 11:12:26 PM »
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 11:12:46 PM by Raptor »

XChrisX

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 07:59:22 AM »
One quick question before I buy a new cable.  Let's just say the cable is bad.  By having the HD only connected to the power supply and having a bad cable why is the hd still recognized in the bios?  Just curious.  Any way that is could be the Mobo?  I mean everything else seems to be ok when I unplug the Hd.  Thanks for the help.
-Chris-  

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 09:57:42 AM »
How about reading the article I supplied you with first..?

XChrisX

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 12:22:24 PM »
As stated in my original post, I have read through the article and nothing.  If I don't have an O/S installed is there any way to get to a dos prompt so I can to run an fdisk?  I have no boot disk and when I load the hard disk that came with the mobo I get a msg telling me to remove the disk and press any key to restart.  However I am having trouble locating the "any" key(a little Simpsons humor!)  Running Fdisk(if at all possible without an O/S) is the one thing I have yet to trySorry for the mass amounts of posting and thanks for the help I will beat this problem!
-Chris-

Computer_Commando

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 01:05:46 PM »
...As stated in my original post, I have read through the article and nothing.  If I don't have an O/S installed is there any way to get to a dos prompt so I can to run an fdisk?  ...

Please read the article again.  You have obviously missed many things.  You cannot boot the hard drive until you have installed an operating system.  You must boot from the WinXP CD or a boot floppy.  You will have to set the boot order in the BIOS:  FDD, CDROM, HDD.  Create a Win98 boot disk from here:  http://www.bootdisk.com/

This disk will boot to A:> if you've set the boot order properly. Then fdisk and format the hard drive.  If this completes, hardware is okay.  Then put CD in with no FDD and CD should boot.  You can skip the boot floppy step and just boot from the CD.

XChrisX

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 02:20:27 PM »
Ok the problem is fixed(just needing to install an O/S)  HOWEVER perhaps the article was mistyped check this and then Comando check what you wrote....

"We commonly recommend that the floppy be set the first boot device, hard drive as the second boot device and the CD-ROM as the third boot device."

Comando you said to boot as FDD, Cd Rom, and THEN HD last.  I set the boot order to that and I got past the dmi pool data.  I had read over the provided link several times but with no luck.  Thanks a million for the help!  Just curious but should I keep the boot order as it is now or change it once the O/S is installed?
-Chris-
P.S. Also raptor thanks for providing the link!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 09:03:34 AM by XChrisX »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 01:42:46 PM »
...Comando you said to boot as FDD, Cd Rom, and THEN HD last.  I set the boot order to that and I got past the dmi pool data...I keep the boot order as it is now or change it once the O/S is installed?...

Sorry, I don't write the articles.  I standby my recommendation, but not all computers will allow that order.  My own computer doesn't allow all three in that order.  Keep the boot order, not necessary to change it.  If you forget and leave a FD or CD in, you'll get an error message when you try to boot.  Slap yourself silly and remove the offending disk.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 01:44:10 PM by Computer_Commando »