Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive problem  (Read 2032 times)

rubycon

hard drive problem
« on: February 18, 2007, 01:30:18 PM »
I've got which I hope is a slight problem.  I installed a new harddrive a Raptor 72 GB, its fast and works great.  The only problem is, I can't access my old hard drive with all my files on it.  I can access a few files from my computer on the Raptor, but not the important ones.  I go to boot menu to start manually and it gives me this message:  We apoligize for the inconvience but Windows did not start successfully.  Is there anyway to get this problem resolved or am I just screwed. Please help!!!

pcdoc4christ

Re: hard drive problem
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 01:54:22 PM »

Is the old hard drive still inside the computer case or is it disconnected from the motherboard and sitting on a shelf somewhere? (Sorry i asked such a stupid question, but you would be amazed at some of the answers we get to that one!)

Is the old hard drive IDE or SATA and the new hard drive IDE or SATA?  

If both hard drives are IDE drives, is the new one jumpered as master and the old one jumpered as slave and are they both connected to the same 80 or 40 wire data cable?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 01:55:08 PM by pcdoc4christ »

rubycon

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 02:00:15 PM »
well to tell you the truth, my friend installed them.  I actually have 3 hard drives in there.  a 200 GB that came with the comp, a 250 gb slave drive for my music.  I can access the 250 gb with no problems from the raptor.  Theya are both SATA and are both installed at this time.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 05:56:03 AM »
Sounds like your friend did not connect the hard drive properly.  Bring it back to her and ask her to check the connections inside the case and the settings in the BIOS setup.