Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd burner causing problems  (Read 8319 times)

terps

Re: dvd burner causing problems
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »
That brings up a blue screen that says what device i want to boot.

terps

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 02:50:53 PM »
Ok, i pushed F5 upon startup, and nothing special happened. But after the 2nd screen (which is the firmware one), i get the advanced options menu!

There are some new things from before. Here's the whole list:

Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
Enable VGA mode
Last known good configuration
Directory services restore mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start windows normally
Reboot
Return to OS choice menu.

Out of this list, i tried Safe mode, start windows normally, and last known good configuration. After each selection i make, my PC asks me which to select which operating system. Under it says my OS, Windows XP pro. I push enter and my computer begins to load. But, its the same as usual, my computer restarts after a second of loading at the windows xp loading screen :( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :(.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 03:06:56 PM »
It's time to pull that HDD out, hook it up as a slave drive in a machine with a working burner in it so you can retrieve your data and burn it to CD...then do a format and a clean install of Windows.
Grab all the drivers for that machine from the manuf. site.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 03:08:29 PM by patio »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

terps

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »
Hmm, that is a good idea! I am not very smart with computers. So when you say hook it up as a slave device, i don't really know what that means. Does it mean just attach it like my other HD?

Thanks

GX1_Man

terps

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 05:03:35 PM »
So there is a chance that i will screw up my working computer because in the guide it says to backup work on good computer??

GX1_Man

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 08:51:10 PM »
Not likely, but important things should be backed up regularly anyway...if they really are important.  ;)

terps

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 06:11:13 PM »
I tried it tonight. Put in the hard drive, looked for where the slave settings and settings were, but couldn't find which was which. There were like 5 sets of 2 pins. Like i said, i didn't know which was which. So i got it all connected and turned my computer on. I got a new screen with some blurred writing at the top of the screen, so blurry i couldn't read it. I panicked, and turned off my computer. I don't want to wreck another computer, so i guess i will just have to reformat. :'(

GX1_Man

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »
Why don't you post the make and model of the drive so we can see what the appropriate jumper settings are?

terps

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 08:35:55 AM »
I didn't really look at my HD, but now i did. It has little diagrams for slave/master settings. I don't have that little piece that you use to set for the settings. So can i use the same piece from my dvd burner?

terps

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 02:36:01 PM »
I think i m just going to reformat :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

GX1_Man

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 03:44:21 PM »
If the drive is not jumpered correctly and not seen correctly in the BIOS, everything else, INCLUDING WINDOWS, is irrelevant.

terps

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 06:15:56 PM »
I have been busy lately, i have 1 more question before i try it again.
1: The guide says to make sure to hard drive is seen. That means, i push delete and then go where and set which options?

GX1_Man

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 05:31:19 PM »
If the drive is not jumpered correctly and not seen correctly in the BIOS, everything else, INCLUDING WINDOWS, is irrelevant.

Push delete? What kling of guide is this?  ::)

terps

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 05:35:24 AM »
To go into my bios at startup. The guide mentions i need to do this. So it said you push either delete or some other buttons to get there at startup.