Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd burner causing problems  (Read 8289 times)

terps

dvd burner causing problems
« on: February 25, 2007, 01:13:44 PM »
I thought my burner ha died, but it actually didn't. I removed some registry junk with Winxp manager and it did something to my dvd drive. Like my computer wouldnt recognize it, therefor i couldn't do anything to it. Well, i bought a new dvd drive and installed it correctly. Then i logged on and it still wouldn't recognize the drive. So i found out Winxp manager had deleted something from my registry making my computer not recognize my drive. I was about to do a system restore, so i turned off my computer and put my other drive in instead of the new one. I turned on my pc and after the bios screen, this firmware picture appears.
Heres the pic: http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4900/pict0205vd4.jpg

The message says:
Novell Netware ready firmware v1.00 (940809)

SiS 900/7016 PCI Adapters DOS ODI Driver v1.14 (020416)

RPL-ROM-ADR
RPL-ROM-IRQ:11

RPL-ROM-FFC:5

After that screen i get that screen that says windows has encountered an error and it let's me decide if i want to do: Last known good configuration, safe mode, start windows normally, etc. But, no matter which option i choose, my computer will reboot and will not be able to get passes that choice screen. Its kind of like a loop going nowhere.

Ive been doing a lot of researching on the web, and i might know what the problem is, but i dont know how to fix it. Im reading other peoples problems kind of like mine. By reading, i think that i have a problem with something not finding the HD, or something to do with An IDE.

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 01:14:25 PM by terps »

pcdoc4christ

Re: dvd burner causing problems
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 03:51:15 PM »
Does the Blue Screen give you a "STOP: 0x . . . " error message?  If so, what are the numbers or letters after the 0x?

terps

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 05:45:11 PM »
No, i dont get a STOP on any screen

Awhile back i made a bootable floppy disk, except when i push F8 upon boot i do get the screen to boot a device, but my floppy disc is not there.

heres another picture:http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5334/pict0206al3.jpg
thats of the choices of what i want to do, but all lead to a reboot

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 05:53:29 PM by terps »

terps

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 01:17:34 PM »
I think i will just try to reformat my computer because i am not getting that much help with my current problem. So, is there a way to reformat windows if i cant login? Also, i bought my computer used, and it had xp pro on it. The person i bought it from didnt give me any discs for what he used. But for my other computer i have an XP home disc. So, is it possible to reformat to xp home instead of xp pro when i am at xp pro.

1 more question- if i reformat, will it uninstall all the drivers?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »
One copy...one machine. That is MS's policy.
You might go through all that only to find it will not register and block you from getting any updates etc.

And yes when you re-install an OS everything gets wiped off including the drivers and any data that is on that HDD. Programs need to be re-installed as well.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

terps

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 05:04:24 PM »
I just got the disc from the guy who sold me my computer.

When i reformat does it uninstall hardware(like wireless desktop card), or just drivers like the sound card, and printer?

Second question- I have been doing some reading, and i found out that you need to save "important files" before reformatting. What exactly are those "important files?"

Third question- how do i set my computer to boot from my cd/dvd drive. And since my cd/dvd drive doesnt really work, will i not be able to reformat?? Or is worth a try?

Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 07:03:19 AM »

And yes when you re-install an OS everything gets wiped off including the drivers and any data that is on that HDD. Programs need to be re-installed as well.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

terps

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 04:42:32 PM »
I boot up the install disc and i chose to push "R" to repair my computer. After successfully repairing, my computer rebooted and the same firmware screen showed up!! I thought dang, but then the screen with the options like safe mode didn't come up! I thought YEAH!,  and my computer boots up like it normally does. But at the screen where it says Windows Xp is loading, and theres that blue bar moving, my computer restarts like it normally does!!!

So, should i do a fresh install instead of repairing it? But the fresh deletes my documents, or not?

Thanks for the replies :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 05:02:58 PM »
Yes, a full format and install should solve the problem but everything will be deleted. Do you have a lot of documents to back up?

This is but another danger of playing in the registry.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:03:38 PM by GX1_Man »

terps

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 05:40:18 PM »
Darn Registry. I don't have a lot of stuff. Just like 200+ pictures of family, pets, vacations, etc. I don't really have that many documents. Its just if i could get the pictures i would be almost glad to reformat. Is there still any way, like putting the pictures on a flash drive?

I understand there are many hassles when someone reformats. Like installing drivers and stuff. But, will i have to install hardware? Like parts of it, like the processor?  

So the Repair is the same thing as an overlay? i think it is because someone else told me that its where someone just reinstalls without losing any documents.

Thanks for the help.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 06:55:50 PM »
A flash drive would be fine for this exercise. If you have more than one drive's worth, just copy them to a machine with a usable burner.

An install is fairly straightforware. You will have to reinstall drivers for sound, video and lan, etc., but nothing for the processor. Lots of site can walk you through it. Just be sure to format the drive during the install.  ;)

terps

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 07:11:32 PM »
A flash drive would be fine for this exercise. If you have more than one drive's worth, just copy them to a machine with a usable burner.

An install is fairly straightforware. You will have to reinstall drivers for sound, video and lan, etc., but nothing for the processor. Lots of site can walk you through it. Just be sure to format the drive during the install.  ;)

But how would i copy my files to a flash drive if i cant login?
Is there any chance the reformat might not work? Like will i still get the same firmware screen?

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 04:22:55 AM »
http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152393515

In regard to your second question, all things are possible, but will your condition be worse even if it does happen? I think not.

terps

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 06:14:33 PM »
I need to get into safe mode, except when i push F6 (which is the button i always used to get the advanced menu), it never works. It doesn't matter how fast i tap the button; the screen never appears. Is there a way to set a setting so i my computer can go into safe mode. Like instead of pushing F6, push F9, or some button?

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 06:23:10 PM »
Try F8.  ;)