Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Freezes when connect to internet  (Read 13832 times)

tlalla

Re: Computer Freezes when connect to internet
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 06:43:59 PM »
Spider,

I did install the drivers first. Then shut down and installed the new network card into a different pci slot. But it still does not come up in device manager anymore. And the green light on it does not come on.

So i decided to put the old network card back in with new updated driver. It does not freeze up the computer but it does not connect to the internet. It says network cable unplugged. ...now the green light is not on this one now...

I also tried to restore a couple of times but it says it cannot restore to that date. I tried to restore a to a couple of days ago and then back to 8/1 and it says it cannot restore back to that date.

The other thing it is taking 5-10 to boot up now. Now sure what I did to cause that.

Thanks
Terry

tlalla

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 04:06:07 PM »
I think i am almost there.

It is "Acquiring network address"  and i cannot get and further than that?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Terry

spiderlucci

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 03:45:43 PM »
hi If the card does not have any lights or has orange or red lights, it is possible that either the card is bad, the card is not connected properly, or that the card is not receiving a signal from the network.

are you using a hub or switch,  or router? verify that the cables are properly connected and that the hub or switch has power.

if you have a router... you may have to reset them!

as for getting your ip address.

click start,Run,cmd, ipconfig / all
check your ip address if you see 0.0.0.0
type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

are you sure you have the right up dated driver?
Verify that the network card is capable of pinging .....To ping the card or the localhost, type either

ping 127.0.0.1

This should show a listing of replies from the network card. If you receive an error or if the transmission failed, it is likely that either the network card is not physically installed into the computer correctly, or that the card is bad.

Let me know and good Luck!  :)
spider

tlalla

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 06:23:51 PM »
I am getting a green light. I reset the D-Link Router. I believe i have the right driver.

When i do the ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew I get.. "an error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection 16: The RPC server is unavailable.

When I ping 127.0.0.1 I get.."Unable to initialize Windows Sockets interface, error code 0."

Thanks
Terry

spiderlucci

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 08:38:33 PM »
Repair The WinsocK:
Another Potential cause of your inability to connect to the internet is a winsock file that has been altered or damaged by spyware or other digital threats.
Fortunately, repairing the winsock is easy to do. The appropriate method of repair depends on whether you have installed a special collection of windows security patches ...Known as Service pack 2.

which service pack do you have on your computer?
then I can help you better! spider 8)

tlalla

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 08:56:02 PM »
I have Service Pack 2

spiderlucci

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 09:54:54 PM »
1.click the start button in the lower-left corner of windows.

2.click Run.

3.A winddow opens. Type cmd in the blank, and then click button labeled OK or press the enter Key.

4.A command Window opens. Type "netsh winsock reset" and then press the enter key. This restores your winsock to its original, default configuration.

5.Shut down your computer and restart it.

6.If you can successfully connect to the internet, you may discover that this fix has altered or corrupted your antivirus program, antispyware program, software firewall, or other programs that monitor your internet activity. In that case, you must reinstall those programs by following the steps below. This requires their original installation CD_ROMs or their digital installers and License Keys.

a. Click the start button in the lower-left corner of windows.

b. Click the control  panel. If you don't see this option, your Start menu is in classic mode. In that case, click settings, and then select the control panel.

c.double-click add or remove programs.

d.  A window opens. Scroll down the list until you see the name of your antivirus,antispyware, or firewall program.

e Click the name of the program, and then click the button on its right labeled remove.

f. If a message pops up and asks you if you want to uninstall the program, click the yes button.

g.After the software has been successfully removed, reinstall it by using  its CD-ROM or its installer program.

Note: When you uninstall a program, you also must restart the computer each time.

good Luck!  ;) spider

tlalla

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 08:41:40 PM »
Spider,

That worked!!!!!!!!

Thanks alot for all the help!

Terry

spiderlucci

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 10:37:42 PM »
not a problem, glad I can help ;).. make sure your anti spyware and virus programs is up to date.
scan for a virus ....also go to microsoft update windows too.

once you scan for a virus.... go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

scan for a virus there too because some antivirus program can detect better than others.

take care !   ;D spider

spiderlucci

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 10:47:31 PM »
This Link will tell you what a winsock is...
http://home.centurytel.net/nacent/guru/learn/dasock.html

spider :)