Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer overheated, now it doesnt work  (Read 2991 times)

cubfan022

Computer overheated, now it doesnt work
« on: May 28, 2007, 03:48:30 PM »
Hey i have a nice computer, only half a year old, worth 3 grand, but i put it under my desk and i guess that the fan was blocked by the desk and the computer overheated. It turned off when i was playing bf2, and it does not want to turn on now. When i plug it in, the blue light indicating that it is on works, but when i press the on/off button, nothing happens.
What should i do

--Topic moved to Others from Off Topic
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 03:51:29 PM by Zylstra »

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Computer overheated, now it doesnt work
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 03:56:03 PM »
Unfortunately it's likely something has overheated and gone bad causing the computer to not boot. This really could be any component in the computer, however if I had to guess I'd assume motherboard, CPU, or Power supply. I'd imagine the computer is not also passing the POST (beeping when it starts). If you plan on troubleshooting this issue I'd suggest that you go through the POST troubleshooting steps found in the below document, you'll need to try removing hardware one  at a time to help determine what component in the computer is bad and then replace that component.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

contrex

Re: Computer overheated, now it doesnt work
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 02:33:07 AM »
Hey i have a nice computer, only half a year old, worth 3 grand, but i put it under my desk and i guess that the fan was blocked by the desk and the computer overheated

It sure ain't worth 3 grand now  ;D

Even if it worked perfectly, and it cost you 3 thousand whatevers, you don't say what currency, you can probably buy the same hardware for less than 2.5 thousand whatevers now. PC hardware gets cheaper. My pc cost $2000 2 years ago. I can now get better hardware, faster cpu, hard drive 3 times bigger, better video card, 2x RAM for much less than $1000.