Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with sound  (Read 3093 times)

Rhianna

Problem with sound
« on: October 21, 2004, 10:54:42 AM »
my speakers are definately connected properly and wokring. The problem appears to be with volume control. Ive clicked on the Sounds and Multimedia icon in the control panel, and tried to adjust the volume seetings, which are on the lowest possible setting (i.e. very quiet - no sound), but the computer wont let me change it. it stays that light grey colour and i cant select anything or drag the volume control thing acroos to make the volume higher. please help!

Raptor

Re: Problem with sound
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 11:23:10 AM »
Your soundcard may not be properly detected.

Right click on my Computer -> Device Manager -> Control for Sound, video and games.

Remove any soundcard entries from there and reset the Computer allowing Windows to redetect the soundcard.

If you have allready done so, be certain you have installed the proper drivers.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:57:26 PM »
...i cant select anything or drag the volume control thing acroos to make the volume higher. please help!

Select Audio tab at the top, Sound Playback should show the preferred device.  Sound Recording should show the device.  MIDI Music playback should show the device.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 03:18:01 PM »
type dxdiag in the run box..it should give you a diagnostics on your sound problem...maybe your sound is disabled in the bios?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 03:18:24 PM by merlin_2 »

rhianna ketley

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 09:34:08 AM »
thanks, but none of these suggestions seem to be doing any good. i possibly have a problem with the sound card, but to be honest im not too sure what im doing so i dont know how to check this

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 10:23:56 AM »
Have you done exactly as we suggested?

rhianna ketley

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 10:51:30 AM »
yes - i did the first suggestion but there were no sound card entries at all
then with the second there were devices selected in all 3 boxes, but i wouldnt know if they were the correct ones or not. i tried selecting different ones but this didnt do any good
with the third suggestion in the notes box it said there were no problems found, but when i tried to Test DirectSound it said: Failure at step 3(Direct Sound Create): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller)

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 01:17:29 PM »
You need to install proper drivers.

Your soundcard is most likely being detected, but can not be used due to the lack of drivers.

rhianna ketley

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 01:19:47 PM »
how would i do that?

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 03:30:58 PM »
By obtaining drivers either from the CD-ROM or Diskette that came with it or by looking on the manufacturers website.