Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet sharing via bluetooth  (Read 10405 times)

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

internet sharing via bluetooth
    « on: May 12, 2007, 04:33:59 PM »
    Is there anyway i can share a dial-up internet connection using bluetooth? 

GX1_Man

Re: internet sharing via bluetooth
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 05:59:34 PM »
    Why don't you list ALL of your hardware and we can go from there.

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »
      ok sure  what do i need to list?  I'm wanting a hp laptop and a dell deskop to share a dial-up internet connection using bluetooth dongles

Sid

Apprentice
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 10:02:56 AM »
        XP? If so:

I want to say yes, but I'm not sure.

Get the two machines talking via Bluetooth first, then:

On the machine that is connected to the internet, go into control panel, network connections, then right click on the Bluetooth network, and select properties.  go to the advanced tab, and click "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection".

Then all should be well...I think.

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »
          Yes they are both Xp...  And what do you mean by getting them "talking"? Just making sure I understand everything correctly  ;)    And when i go to the properties of the internet connection on my desktop and go to advanced, it doesn't have anything about sharing. All it has is windows firewall  :-\

Sid

Apprentice
            « Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 01:47:46 PM »
            Yes they are both Xp...  And what do you mean by getting them "talking"? Just making sure I understand everything correctly  ;)    And when i go to the properties of the internet connection on my desktop and go to advanced, it doesn't have anything about sharing. All it has is windows firewall  :-\

Basically, I'm suggesting setting up a bluetooth network between the two computers, and sharing the connection between the two...which I think is possible.

And it's not the internet connection you'll be right clicking, it's the connection to the second PC you want to right click.

So get the two computers on, communicating via bluetooth...might need to use the Wireless Network Wizard (on the control panel), and then just configure the network connection to allow internet connection sharing.

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 04:00:31 PM »
              thanks alot man    i've got to get me another bluetooth dongle before i can go any farther... when i made this topic i was at a friend's house and he has bluetooth so we was trying to figure it out but here at home i only have one bluetooth. So i'm going to get another bluetooth dongle then i'll let you know and probably ask more questions i'm sure. lol    thanks for the help you've gave so far!  :)

Sid

Apprentice
                « Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »
                No worries.  Let us know how it goes.

ComputerCrazy2

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:00:30 AM »
                hey it's me, i had to make a new login name. Anyway just wanted to let you know that my 2nd bluetooth dongle is on it's way, i ordered it yesterday. I cant wait to try internet sharing!  ;D   I'll let you know how it all works out 

Sid

Apprentice
                  « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 04:23:40 PM »
                  I'll let you know how it all works out 

Please do!

ComputerCrazy2

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 10:19:57 AM »
                  Alright i need help bad. I'm getting very aggravated! I've got my 2nd bluetooth dongle now, and i've got this computer and my laptop connected through a PAN. So now i'm wanting my laptop to share this computer's internet. So i right-clicked on the bluetooth PAN thing in network connections like you said, then i went to properties then to advanced, and it doesn't have anything about internet sharing.  >:( all it has is windows firewall settings.  I dont understand it, on my laptop i can go to the same place and it does have internet sharing settings but on this computer, the one i need it to work on, it dont have it. please help!  :'(

Sid

Apprentice
                    « Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 11:16:28 AM »
                    I'm not finding anything on a brief google or MS search...could you just jot down what comes up in the scroll box on the PAN in network connections (right click)?

Cheers.

ComputerCrazy2

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 11:22:21 AM »
                    i'm not sure if this is what you're talking about but here goes... when i go to network connections and right click on the bluetooth network, here is what comes up: Disable, Status, Repair, Bridge Connections, Create Shortcut, Delete, Rename and Properties

Sid

Apprentice
                      « Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 09:29:44 AM »
                      Ok, click properties, and it should bring up another window with a few tabs at the top, and a scroll box.

What's in that scroll box?

ComputerCrazy2

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 07:13:10 PM »
                      If you're referring to the box under the tab "General", the one that says "This connection uses the following items:", this is what is in it: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).  And they are all check-marked