Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Word Problem ?  (Read 27747 times)

Jp

MS Word Problem ?
« on: May 16, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »
I recently restored my system ;

Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1
128 MB of RAM

do to trojan irrepaiability !

I used the computer manufacturer's CD to restore.

My problem is I can not find my MS Word files, my Start column and icons has changed and just doesn't look the same, I'm sure that is where, note pad, word pad, and what I think is, MS word, meaning the files when open look very much like word pad with several exceptions,
one of which is, when scrolling you are able to tell when the page has ended and a new one starts.

If this is MS word, mine is missing. When I have gone to my, CD back up file
for some reason this seems radically changed and does not have the file data that I stored, fortunately I did make some previous back-up files, that seem to have most of the files that the latest CD is not yielding.

The files in question are listed with an icon I have never seen and appears to be a white page with a little blue notepad and blue pen in its center, when I bring up it's properties, it says that it opens with wordpad, I tried this and it opened with illegible geek-greek, little squares and letter symbols.

I'd without doubt appreciate it if you could help me understand, . .
What is this how did it happen and where is my original systems MS word ?

???
Jp

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: MS Word Problem ?
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 04:29:41 PM »
    Jp ...... Go into My Computer, C: drive...... find the folder called programs. open it..... look for a folder called MicroSoft Office ( if thats what you had) or MicroSoft Word.)
    If you don't see either of them ....... you will simply reinstall your MicroSoft Word.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 04:30:33 PM »

And what does the CD say on it?

Jp

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »
    GX1_Man,

1st CD Compaq Restore Plus
    2nd CD Compaq Operating Systen CD (Microsoft Windows XP Home

dl65,

I did not find either, I will check MS on the web for the re-installation D/L.

Thanks.

Jp

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »
    And which one did you use? Walk us through it with you exactly what you did.

Jp

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:16:37 PM »
    GX1_Man,

If I can I will, . . this may take some time, . .  however if you would please verify the program we are speaking of MS Word, the sophisticated chap that was nearly impossible to control the curser when high lighting in scroll fashion ?

Jp

contrex

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 02:07:43 AM »
    Microsoft Word is not part of Windows XP, so it won't be included on the Manufacturer's Restore CD. It sounds like maybe the dealer put it on as a freebie (naughty!) so it won't be there. Neither will any Word files created during its use! Sounds like JP thought that the "Restore" in "Restore CD" meant that it would make his system back like it was before the trojan, whereas it made it back like it was when Windows was newly installed, and before Word was put on the system.

The files in question are listed with an icon I have never seen and appears to be a white page with a little blue notepad and blue pen in its center, when I bring up it's properties, it says that it opens with wordpad, I tried this and it opened with illegible geek-greek, little squares and letter symbols.

disable hide file extensions, and a pound-to-a-penny they have .doc at the end?

Get ready to use your wallet!!!

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 09:34:58 AM »
      try openoffice it's free

Jp

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »
      OK, I think I am grasping what you are saying, I will continue with this post and provide you with the details, . . however I believe that unloved warrior has pretty much summed it up.

For now, I have, first page search results for microsoft word ;

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=client_searchbox&query=Microsoft%20Word

You would naturally think that this would provide me with what I am looking for, . . MS Word D/L to replace my missing program, but if I can't find a safe and authentic MS Word program here, where will I ?

Jp

contrex

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 10:52:49 AM »
      Jp, there seems to be something you are not understanding. Microsoft Word is a commercial product, that is, you have to pay for it. You cannot download it free on the world wide web! You have to go to a store, either online or physically go there and use this thing called "money". The process is called "purchasing" or "buying" the software. You get a CD ROM with a serial number printed on a label on the case.

Try this link: it may be more relevant.

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=topsearchbox.search&query=buy+microsoft+word

Jp

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:07:08 AM »
      Ok, Ok, I get the message,

Hey thanks alot Compaq ! ! Yeah ! Thanks for Nothing, !!

but while your your here let me wet your thirst for knowledge.

This is a scrsht of the MS Word Viewer I instinctively thought would solve all my problems.

So, if you thought that would work like I did, which you probably didn't , . .

it doesn't !

:o

Jp

P.S. Don't let Raptor see this he'll decode it !!   Any Bets ?? >:(

Jp

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »

In regard to details requested by GX1_Man,

When I restored, I used the first disc, followed instruction, to use the second disc, I think I opted to skip the third disc, etc. and I restored the computer, but did not know anything about
      MS word being uninstalled during the process, . . however,

I am using an old  floppy disc, and have opened what I am sure was, MS word, in my notebook, which was restored previously to factory condition,

as I use the document file on the notebook to store data from this WXP system document file, as a back up, and I use CD's for this, . .

now the MS Word icon has changed and when I open it, I'm getting the code script, therefore I am concluding that, in someway the incapacity has spread or was transferred in someway to the laptop by the disc. of which I am positive use to open MS Word.

Also, after the restored WXP, I went to the CD to download my document files, of which, it seems that there was a lot of files that were missing, . .
      I used another CD, which allowed me access to the missing files.

JP

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 02:45:57 PM »
      Get back to the Window from the screenshot and change that setting to Windows (default)....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jp

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 02:54:26 PM »
      Done, No Change.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 07:17:31 PM »
      Did you re-boot ?

Jp

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 10:05:48 AM »
      Patio,
      Your kidding !!  >:(
      -----------------------------------------------------------------
      Below the original Scrsht is what I get when I click W Default, prior to reboot.

Then you want me to reboot, Right ?

I haven't done it yet, but if you still think it will
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a scrsht of the MS Word Viewer I instinctively thought would solve all my problems.

:o

Jp

P.S. Don't let Raptor see this he'll decode it !!  >:(
      [/quote]

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 11:00:46 AM »
      You screen shot does not indicate you made the change patio mentioned.  See below:

Jp

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »
      No ! No !

The first pic is what patio referred to the second is after I clicked W Default.

Below the original Scrsht is what I get when I click W Default, prior to reboot.
      Then you want me to reboot, Right ?I haven't done it yet, but if you still think it will------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 12:44:21 PM by dl65 »

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »
      Hmmm, above that screenshot, you said:
      Yet, the Scrsht shows W Default was not selected.   Why did you not post a Scrsht showing that you truly selected W Default?

Jp

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 03:20:23 PM »
      OK 1st pic.;
      Open with MS Word Viewer, selected Windows Default

2nd pic.; Default Selected and Clicked

Don't ask me where the confusion occured, all I can say is, yes your right, but when I selected Windows Default previously, it clicked in and gave me the same as you see here in the 2nd pic. Last time I opened it the WD box was checked and I pushed OK.

Jp

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »
      Open an Explorer window, browse these Word files and take a screen shot and post it.  Can you do that?  We should see filenames with extension .doc.  I'm skeptical that you ever had Word installed and that you have any Word files on your computer.  I suspect you were actually using Works word processor, not MS Office, before you formatted your hard drive and re-installed Windows.

I just installed Word Viewer 97 on a Win 98SE machine and opened a Word 2003 file from a flash drive with it and had no problem.  Then, I tried opening a file created on that Win 98SE computer with the old version of Works that was originally installed on it as part of the original software package from eMachine.  The Works .wps file was not readable; it looked exactly like your screen shot. 

Jp

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 07:25:30 PM »
      soybean,

This much I can tell you,
      Previously before the restore there were three types of document files
      Note Pad; the little note pads that don't allow you to print a single page or highlite for printing, and you can not change fonts from paragraph to paragraph.

Then there was the, (Word Pad),  this was stock in W98 and is the same in WXP, but there was not a place that I know of for adjusting pages of print,

Then there was the MS Work or what I thought was the MS Pad which had
      a distnct page line markation that was visible when you scrolled down.
      and was a bit more sophisticated then word pad, . . 

this is what your are saying I have mistaken for MS Words and is actually

Works Processor, you may be very right, . .previously in the post I tried to

explain that I was not sure what it was, . .  now that the icons are

changed it is hard to tell, but I still think you are right,

I'm posting what, I hope is the explorer window you wanted, the icon ;

representing SGC PPM is the one we have been discussing.

Thank you.

Jp

GX1_Man

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 07:55:16 PM »
      So it was PEBCAK after all.

Jp

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 08:11:22 PM »
       MS Word Problem ?
      « on: May 16, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently restored my system ;

Home Edition
      Version 2002
      Service Pack 1
      128 MB of RAM

do to trojan irrepaiability !

My problem is I can not find my MS Word files, my Start column and icons has changed and just doesn't look the same, I'm sure that is where, note pad, word pad, and what I think is, MS word, meaning the files when open look very much like word pad with several exceptions,
      one of which is, when scrolling you are able to tell when the page has ended and a new one starts.

If this is MS word, mine is missing.

Jp ...... Go into My Computer, C: drive...... find the folder called programs. open it..... look for a folder called MicroSoft Office ( if thats what you had) or MicroSoft Word.)
      If you don't see either of them ....... you will simply reinstall your MicroSoft Word.

If it was PEBCAK, I had help !

I knew this was going to happen, . . :(

GX1_Man

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »
      I think that you will find that most, if not all, of your problems are PEBCAK.  ;)

Jp

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 08:27:07 PM »
      I'm still waiting for soybeans answer.

PEBCAK !!  SMEBCAK!!

:P

soybean,

This much I can tell you,
      Previously before the restore there were three types of document files
      Note Pad; the little note pads that don't allow you to print a single page or highlite for printing, and you can not change fonts from paragraph to paragraph.

Then there was the, (Word Pad),  this was stock in W98 and is the same in WXP, but there was not a place that I know of for adjusting pages of print,

Then there was the MS Work or what I thought was the MS Pad which had
      a distnct page line markation that was visible when you scrolled down.
      and was a bit more sophisticated then word pad, . . 

this is what your are saying I have mistaken for MS Words and is actually

Works Processor, you may be very right, . .previously in the post I tried to

explain that I was not sure what it was, . .  now that the icons are

changed it is hard to tell, but I still think you are right,

I'm posting what, I hope is the explorer window you wanted, the icon ;

representing SGC PPM is the one we have been discussing.

Thank you.

Jp

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 08:49:06 PM »
      So, apparently Works was part of the software on the computer when it was new.  If so, you were probably issued a CD with Works.  If true, you just need to get that CD and reinstall Works.  If you can't find a CD with Works, you can buy it; like MS Office, it's not free but it does not cost much.  You might go to ebay: Works 

You seem to talking about just one file.  If you only have one or a few files that you need to open and you don't want to buy Works, why not copy the file(s) to a floppy disk, take them to computer that has Works on it, open the files and then save them in .RTF format.  RTF can be opened in WordPad, which you have on your computer.

Jp

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 11:01:41 AM »
      Hey Guys,

I think were are not getting to where I want to be.

Please let me say this in explanation to my problem.

When using my :
      Compaq Presario 4403US ( Systems Model )
      Home Edition
      Version 2002
      Service Pack 1
      128 MB of RAM

In the past prior to the system restore, There were three,(3) types of
      document programs on my system ;

1. Note Pad
      2.Word Pad
      3.The mystrey program, (this is the one that disappeared and is now converted to the illegible format we are discussing.

Word pad, . . I have found when typing and printing does not offer a format that when wanting to type and print out seperate pages, does not have page breaks that I know of.

Therefore prior to printing you would use print preview and look at and see the text then determine what page it was on, if it wasn't where it was suppose tobe, i.e. you had to go back and move it but you still weren't sure.

Maybe I have something turned-off, . . but, . .

with the missing mystrey program, it was a delux functioning program when it came to this, you would know what page(s) your text was on, and if you wanted to break to another page, (a new page), you simply scrolled down to the visible page break and you new you were on the first line of the next page would be and comence typing, and therefore when you went to print the document your text would be on the page you expected it to be.

I thought that this was a stock program for most Windows, 98, XP.

Would you kindly tell me what the mystery program was or is because I can not find it any more.

If you don't know, please don't answer, maybe someone who knows will come along and help me regain this feature.

At this time the most logical explanation, I have is that Compaq has added this feature that I thought was stock, and that it is not necessarily stock and it may not have been on the restore CD system that I used, I am leary of placing these CD's back into my system at this time to look into the features, that I may have missed.

Mean while I will send a version of this letter as a request for defining informations, to both Compaq and Microsoft, that may give me a clear idea of what this program is. I will also check into the conversion system, .RTF format that soybean has introduced.

I can only ad this, I am looking for a program that creates documents where I can determine where the page break is.
      I do want to know what this program is called, if I can not retrieve it in any other way. The name of it is not clear to me.

(For your Information )
      Something tells me this was a MSWinWord97 program, I'm still checking.

I thank you sincerely for bearing this with your as usual graceful patience.

Jp

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 11:23:34 AM by Jp »

contrex

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 12:13:14 PM »
      Would you kindly tell me what the mystery program was or is because I can not find it any more.

If you don't know, please don't answer, maybe someone who knows will come along and help me regain this feature.

You have a ****** cheek writing that, Jp, when you have jerked everybody's chain over this. You are the guy who does not even know the name of this so called "essential" program.

I can only ad this, I am looking for a program that creates documents where I can determine where the page break is.
      I do want to know what this program is called, if I can not retrieve it in any other way. The name of it is not clear to me.

(For your Information )
      Something tells me this was a MSWinWord97 program, I'm still checking.

What tells you that exactly?

<Admin edit> taking out swearwords...
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:46:28 AM by Computer Hope Admin »

GX1_Man

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »

C'mon, contrex, you're not playing with the JP rules. Tell him what he wants to hear whether it is right or not. Don't confuse him with facts, his mind is made up.

contrex

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2007, 12:19:30 AM »
      From my experience, writing "if you don't know, please don't answer" in a forum because you don't like the answers you are getting, is a pretty good way of killing the thread stone dead. The rudeness will put off anybody who does know from answering. So, Jp, you are the cat that just lost its ninth life.... Goodbye.

Jp

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 01:08:04 PM »
      Sorry, . . . .

I didn't mean to be rude, that was thoughtless of me.

:-X

Jp

BTW, here's some info on the posted subject, from HP/Compaq, . .

but I am still working on how this is suppose to work, so far so, . .not good ! :-\

I would like to inform you that, your Compaq Presario 4403US is pre
      installed with Microsoft Works 6.0 which includes Word Processor. Also
      the operating system will have Word Pad and Note Pad to edit text files.
      I am not sure whether you have installed other softwares like WinWord.
      The FullRestore process will restore your PC to factory settings. All
      the pre installed programs will be restored. And also if you have
      installed any other applications besides the pre installed ones they
      will be lost. You have to reinstall them. So I recommend you to
      reinstall WinWord. 

Based on the information provided I am not sure about the word you are
      referring. How ever if the missing word programme related to MS works,
      which is a pre installed software, I request you to reinstall the
      programme using the steps given in the link below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=94079&lang=en&docname=bpb10289

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 01:12:58 PM »
      well, there ya go.  As I deducted in a previous post, you had Works.  And, you can reinstall it from a CD.  I don't know whether the word processor in that version of Works displays page breaks.  Install and see.

contrex

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2007, 01:19:11 PM »
      well, there ya go.  As I deducted in a previous post, you had Works.  And, you can reinstall it from a CD.  I don't know whether the word processor in that version of Works displays page breaks.  Install and see.

The one in Works 5 does. Or rather it will do if the "Print Layout" is chosen from the "view" menu.

Jp

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2007, 01:28:53 PM »
      Well, I can tell you that the program I am missing is the more sophisticated of the three prorams,

The first two are Note Pad and Word Pad, these I have, . .

The computer came with three disc, one of them During the restore I was allowed to skip, a fourth was not included with the system,

The compaq solutions guide concerning Restore Solutions lists
      4 disc.
      Compaq Restore Plus
      Compaq Operating System CD
      Compaq Restore Supplemental Software CD
      Compaq Restore Special Content

I used the first 2 but would like to review the Disc process, however I don't know of a way to do this without doing another Restore, and or use the 3rd disc, I have not run this to see waht is on it, because I am skeptical
      of what could take place, I'll shoot a letter of to HP and see what they say.

Jp

contrex

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 01:35:45 PM »

I used the first 2 but would like to review the Disc process, however I don't know of a way to do this without doing another Restore, and or use the 3rd disc, I have not run this to see waht is on it, because I am skeptical of what could take place,

"skeptical"? You can be skeptical of a proposition or an argument. Did you mean "wary"?

Why don't you just put the disk in the ****** drive and see what's on it? Cancel any autorun action and open the disk in Windows Explorer. If you see a "Microsoft Works" folder, you're home and dry.

I am afraid that many of your troubles seem to be caused by you having a mixture of ignorance and arrogance.

<Admin edit> Removing swearwords...
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:50:07 AM by Computer Hope Admin »

Jp

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 03:43:41 PM »

:-[

WELL I GUESS YOU TOLD ME !!

Yes your Majesty !

I guess the autorun cancelation is what I am skeptical :-X, oooh woops!
      wary, oh no,  I mean weary, . . oh no, . . I mean leary, . . .

ah, . .ah, . . a, . a, .  about,

There I go with my ignorant and arrogant attitude, *censored* it, . . I can't help it.

Would you Mind telling me why I should open the disc in

Windows Explorer,  :-*

Jp

Hey how come I can't curse and you can, your Majesty ?

Jp

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 03:48:21 PM »
       :P

I'm gonna tell, . . Raptor !

BTW, . .

Welcome to HP Total Care.

In reviewing your email description, I see that you need to know whether
      the page break in the word procesor application is normal or not.  Let
      me help you in this regard.

This is quite normal and it is one of the feature of the application
      that shows or prompts that the page has come to an end.

Jp

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 04:01:57 PM »
      I believe contrex suggested canceling autorun simply to prevent the CD from installing whatever might be on it besides Works, since you seemed to be concerned about that.  By canceling autorun and then viewing the contents of the CD in Windows Explorer and locating the setup file for Works, you can double click on it to install Works only. 

Jp

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 04:11:19 PM »
      Windows Explorer

It just runs, . .  where do I turn off Autorun ?

Jp

To prevent the AutoRun process from occurring, press and hold the SHIFT key when you insert a CD.

NOTE: The AutoRun process is not initiated when you insert your CD if Office 2000 has already been installed on your computer.
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 04:36:34 PM by Jp »

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 05:21:36 PM »
      The circus continues.  If a CD automatically opens an installation window, you'll probably see a Cancel or Exit button.  That's how you can stop it. 

NOTE: The AutoRun process is not initiated when you insert your CD if Office 2000 has already been installed on your computer.
      OBVIOUSLY, this has nothing to do with your case since you do not have Office 2000 installed.    ??? ::)

Jp

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 05:43:39 PM »
      OBVIOUSLY, this has nothing to do with your case since you do not have Office 2000 installed.     

No, but I did discover turning-off auto run, and I did not find any MS Word Processor, etc.

DankaShane.

Jp

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #42 on: May 21, 2007, 05:50:24 PM »
      You said Compaq told you that Works was part of the software issued with the computer.  So, why haven't you found it?

Jp

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2007, 07:34:14 PM »
      I am finding all sorts of bunk,
      apparently what goes on when Compaq now HP, made deals with MS, instead of packing MS CD's they packed there own cute little CD's for Operating systems namely Compaq restore disc, well not every computer comes with MS Works 6.0 on the restore and its on the computer apparently as a trial version, I have come across this before with another software deal, I can't think of which one, but yeah it's gone, and I have been to both HP and MS, and to get a trial version you have to go to ALL Programs and click on Word, . . it's not there, yeah nice, real,  real nice.

You don't think I'm trying to set a post record do you ?

It's all a racket kid !

>:(

Jp

I changed my attitude since the contrex blow-out, ream job, . .

I am now a more serious and conscientious observer and student of
      Nerdology !     ::)

GX1_Man

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2007, 07:56:15 PM »
      You don't think I'm trying to set a post record do you ?

The one who smelt it dealt it.  ::)

Fed-up2

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2007, 08:07:24 PM »

I used the first 2 but would like to review the Disc process, however I don't know of a way to do this without doing another Restore, and or use the 3rd disc, I have not run this to see waht is on it, because I am skeptical of what could take place,

"skeptical"? You can be skeptical of a proposition or an argument. Did you mean "wary"?

Why don't you just put the disk in the ******* drive and see what's on it? Cancel any autorun action and open the disk in Windows Explorer. If you see a "Microsoft Works" folder, you're home and dry.

I am afraid that many of your troubles seem to be caused by you having a mixture of ignorance and arrogance.

WOW! contrex. You are one rude Basterd.Jp came here for help not psychiatric
      evaluation.

<Admin edit> Removing swearwords...
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:52:08 AM by Computer Hope Admin »

GX1_Man

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2007, 08:12:50 PM »
      Jp came here for help not psychiatric evaluation.

Frankly I am not sure about the first as he has resisted even putting SP2 on that machine for over 4 months and quibbles and doesn't take the advice on other issues.

On the second point that is up to him, but it may prove helpful.

By the way, did you know you are only allowed one "identity" on this forum?

Jp

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2007, 10:53:26 PM »
      contrex,

How the h**l was I suppose to know that the d**n CD restore disc would fail me, and that the system restore would restore the system without
      putting the d**n MS word or works or whatever ?

and then go into the web and search all over the place to find out that what goes on is that OEM doesn't put the same stuff in the CD's as installed on the computer.

I just use the d**n program to type and create documents and print them out, your the ______ @!, one that suppose to know this Sht.

:'(

and SP2 I can't install it until I resolve a RAM thing so that I can have FW and V-Protection.

Where the h**l did get the d**n Trojan for the second time anyway______@!!<%#@

How Many of these would you like to read from the last 4-5 days
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jp,

Thank you for writing back.

To isolate and resolve the issue, you can perform the full restore to
      get back the computer to a factory settings  with preinstalled softwares
      and drivers.

Yes you can perform the fullrestore using the restore disks.

However, if you have any further questions or clarifications, please do
      not hesitate to reply to this mail. We would be delighted to assist you.

Sincerely,

David
      HP Total Care

Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on
      the information provided to us.  HP does not assume any responsibility
      or liability for the advice given and shall not be liable for any
      direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages in
      connection with the use of this information.  Always back up your data.
      For more information, including technical information updates, please
      visit our Web site at http://www.hp.com/support.

Original Message Follows:
      -------------------------

In a message dated 5/20/2007 8:37:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 
      [email protected] writes:

Hello  Jp,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I regret to inform  you that this could be due to corrupt operating
      system files. To resolve  this I recommend you perform full system
      recovery. To perform full system  recovery, please refer to previous
      e-mail.

Hello Peter,

Are you saying that the first time I did a full Restore using, (2) disc,

Compaq Restore Plus CD and Compaq Operating System
      and that since my Word Processor was not installed, that this means   
      the
      operating system files are corrupted and I should do another Full
      Restore  ?

Jp

contrex

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2007, 12:18:39 AM »
      What's in the SW folder?

Jp

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2007, 07:20:06 PM »
      Contrexy,

I am tryin to tell you, . .thats business at prime time.

Heres an analog with a connect to the super.

Today. . . .

ck G: Can I send you the product specification on your e-mail.

JP: I am trying to explain to some computer techs on-line of what the problem was, I read about the temp. installation on Compaq WXP PC. but can not find it again.
      rick G: If you had purchased and installed the Microsoft office application disc from Microsoft, then you can go ahead reinstall it using the same disc.
      J P: I guess that is what I will have to do, that isn't the problem, explaining it to the computer tech's on a forum is the problem.
      : However if you wish you can also purchase the Microsoft of

Seriously, I'm feeling a little slow tonight, I think I'm martinied-out, . .

Please tell me, what is the SW Folder ?

Jp

contrex

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2007, 12:31:56 AM »
      Please tell me, what is the SW Folder ?
      Jp

Boy you are hard work!!! See those little yellow folders? It's the middle one.

Are you doing this on purpose? I'm beginning to smell a rat.

See the picture YOU POSTED of YOUR CD files.

Also look here

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-120633.php

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:04:12 AM by contrex »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #51 on: May 23, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »
      If he double clicks it we may get to see the contents...

GX1_Man

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2007, 04:36:17 PM »
      He'll have to debate it with us first. Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a *censored*.  ::)

Jp

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2007, 10:44:47 PM »
      You certainly are  a proficient one, ( I can tell by your graphic acuity ), as I woke the few thoughts I had on my mind, finally became clear and that d**n SW folder finally dawned on me.

Yeah, I new that !

At first, I thought that you were becoming threatening and you might have meant Smith and Wesson !

Your not going to ask me to run that disc again, . .if you want to take odds or even if you just think there really is something in it worthwhile, I'll do it.

But here's my end,

I've been searching around and the computer  M. factory's, promise is a crock,

unfortunately that's the way it goes !

I recall the Fax and Outlook incident after months that CH doesn't know about and months that they do, . . I had my fax re-install by the M., whom I had been e-mailing on a daily bases to verify where the program was, they were insisting was stock, . .and It was un-installed.

I became aquainted with there software do to the fact it was factory installed on the W (* Notebook I have, . .they made a fairly good deal at that time because it was in fact, restorable, I guess OEM and Comp.M are getting wise to what people will pay for what they become adicted to. Like word Processors.

Any way,  I had a slightly updated version on this machine, and it stopped working, they were absolutley positive that it was
      a outlook association, probably one of there manf. lisence deals, I'm not sure.

But after months of dogged research, I asked them abot a D/L, of course they still insisted,(silently) that it would not work without a re-installation of the missing software, that actually was never on this machine.

Lies, . .Tell Me Lies, . . .Sweet Innocent Lies, . . .

They checked me out as an old customer (G They asked me for the serial number), . .  (fotunately I recall my old e-mail address, how could I forget it ), . .and or but,  gave me a free reinstall. and it works fine without the supposed outlook deal, of course I haven't tried the dial-out yet, but it's here and it's doin it's job!

I have been going rounds with another software deal, This one, . .
      and Man There Busten My, . . .They Set You Up and Nock You Down ! !, . . .

Thats Business at Prime Time !

Oh Well thats what you smell buddy !

It ain't me babe !

Hows That Trexy?

:-*

Jp

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 11:00:36 PM by Jp »

contrex

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2007, 12:22:20 AM »
      I am bailing out at this point; there are sufficient clues in JP's last post, (style, language, attitude) which tell me very clearly that he is a "help forum troll". There were hints before. Maybe I'm the dumb one for failing to fully realise before. I guess in your twisted mind you score extra troll points for getting pictures posted, since it means you suckered people into extra efforts on your stupid behalf. Congratulations, Jp, for spinning it out this long. So long, in fact that I no longer give a *censored* what happens to your bloody computer.

Goodbye.

Jp

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2007, 12:48:17 AM »
      Hey Carnegy !

Kool It !

Big Dreamer, . . . Your so d**n Smart A,  . . . . but I don't sympathiz with an A who thinks he's Dumb, DimbW, . . . of course you haven't heard yet about how completely niave you are, Big Right  !

But by by for the big try, . .  :-*

Jp

Seriously, . .you didn't even answer my question Nerd, whats in that file and or can't even volunteer a reason why you have asked ??

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:48:36 AM by Jp »

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #56 on: May 24, 2007, 01:58:38 AM »
      Jp, Contrex, and any other users I may have not seen. Please avoid from the name calling and especially the swearing. This forum should be a place that's friendly to all users.

As I've said before, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it.. PM warnings will be sent.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

Jp

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2007, 02:20:17 AM »
      O K, . . but did you tell contrex that, like days ago, or did he already know that, since he is a watayamacalit , . . and even if he isn't, . . I mean he said I was a forum troll, . . what the H, . . do CH Members know that you deleted , . . . some of my best stuff, . . .  ????, . . . like curse words and what I said to contrex ?

And actually he is probably makin a living off Computer Virus Cures like alot of Dr. Fix S.O.B's, EITHER THAT OR HE IS A CAPATALIST PIG WHO IS TRYING TO
      MAKE COMMIE LOVE OVER THE INTERNET, . .FOR BROWNIE POINTS ! !

I have more to say if anyone wants to hear it, vis my personel message !

Jp

;)   8) You wouldn't defry me of the constitutionality of my own Rights !  Would You ?  ;)  8)

O.K. I'm a Radical, . BUt aleast I did Hate Ashbury ! !

That isn't what I was gonna say, . .but I didn't feel like getting SENSORED ! !

Which is more than I can say for AH !
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 02:51:40 AM by Jp »

Jp

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2007, 02:54:27 AM »
        tHIS ISN'T fUNNY  !!

yOU mADE a mONSTER ! !

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #59 on: May 24, 2007, 03:05:16 AM »
      The reason posts were censored was because they were inappropriate. This forum is meant for users of all ages and you've disobeyed rules mentioned in the first paragraph of the forum agreement (seen below). I warned not only you but also contrex about inappropriate behavior on the forums.

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

You are again testing my limits in the two posts you made above, I've already warned you. I'm publicly giving you your last warning. Next offense and your permanently banned.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

Jp

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2007, 05:30:24 AM »
      Ok,. .I get your kind and Warranted gesture, . . I mean,  I can respect that up to a certain point, surmonting to a vote for a  democrat ! ; as follows;

:P________________BLANK SPACE________________________ :P

but could we kindly converse, on our mutual concerns, namely the questions, . . One of which, . . was, . . In all encompassing understanabilities, . .       ?  Did you contact contrex on his literate  usage, of banned terms ? ? ? Like curse words for all the girls , which of he is one of ,  . . .but you failed to spare me my 15 minutes of Flame !  ? ? ?

Jp

Raptor

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2007, 11:50:24 AM »
      I'm gonna tell, . . Raptor !

And he did!

You make me proud, Contrex.. I see I have found a succesful heir, someone who can continue my reign of trollification.. It is time for me to leave!

This is another reason as to why people should have to fill out two pages or more about their PC's if they want help. Hate to have another Jp1, Mac2 or Merlin2 ... It's obvious this system doesn't really work when it comes to forum help; fixing a PC has never been about how many suggestions fit into one topic; it has been about letting whoever is at it have full control over it and be able to ask anything anytime without any interference.. Such a situation is difficult to realize in real life, let alone on a forum.

Anyhow, I'm going into hibernation. See you all in a few months if anything has changed!

Jp

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2007, 02:34:07 PM »
      Raptor,

Before you go on your little vacation, . .

Let me buy you a remote access software, so you can fix computers all over the World !!

And you can share it with contrex !

Jp
       :-X

Dark Blade

• Forum Gaming Master

• Adviser

• Yes
      « Reply #63 on: May 26, 2007, 11:41:12 PM »
      Raptor's leaving...? Then who's gonna yell at Jp?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #64 on: May 27, 2007, 04:59:16 AM »
      Jp has been banned already.
      See you later, Raptor, probably on BF.
      We'll miss you round here . . .