Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Word Problem ?  (Read 27752 times)

Jp

Re: MS Word Problem ?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 10:05:48 AM »
Patio,
Your kidding !!  >:(
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Below the original Scrsht is what I get when I click W Default, prior to reboot.

Then you want me to reboot, Right ?

I haven't done it yet, but if you still think it will
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a scrsht of the MS Word Viewer I instinctively thought would solve all my problems.

:o

Jp

P.S. Don't let Raptor see this he'll decode it !!  >:(
[/quote]

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 11:00:46 AM »
You screen shot does not indicate you made the change patio mentioned.  See below:

Jp

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »
No ! No !

The first pic is what patio referred to the second is after I clicked W Default.

Below the original Scrsht is what I get when I click W Default, prior to reboot.
Then you want me to reboot, Right ?I haven't done it yet, but if you still think it will------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 12:44:21 PM by dl65 »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »
Hmmm, above that screenshot, you said:
Yet, the Scrsht shows W Default was not selected.   Why did you not post a Scrsht showing that you truly selected W Default?

Jp

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 03:20:23 PM »
OK 1st pic.;
Open with MS Word Viewer, selected Windows Default

2nd pic.; Default Selected and Clicked

Don't ask me where the confusion occured, all I can say is, yes your right, but when I selected Windows Default previously, it clicked in and gave me the same as you see here in the 2nd pic. Last time I opened it the WD box was checked and I pushed OK.

Jp

soybean

Genius
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »
Open an Explorer window, browse these Word files and take a screen shot and post it.  Can you do that?  We should see filenames with extension .doc.  I'm skeptical that you ever had Word installed and that you have any Word files on your computer.  I suspect you were actually using Works word processor, not MS Office, before you formatted your hard drive and re-installed Windows.

I just installed Word Viewer 97 on a Win 98SE machine and opened a Word 2003 file from a flash drive with it and had no problem.  Then, I tried opening a file created on that Win 98SE computer with the old version of Works that was originally installed on it as part of the original software package from eMachine.  The Works .wps file was not readable; it looked exactly like your screen shot. 

Jp

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 07:25:30 PM »
soybean,

This much I can tell you,
Previously before the restore there were three types of document files
Note Pad; the little note pads that don't allow you to print a single page or highlite for printing, and you can not change fonts from paragraph to paragraph.

Then there was the, (Word Pad),  this was stock in W98 and is the same in WXP, but there was not a place that I know of for adjusting pages of print,

Then there was the MS Work or what I thought was the MS Pad which had
a distnct page line markation that was visible when you scrolled down.
and was a bit more sophisticated then word pad, . . 

this is what your are saying I have mistaken for MS Words and is actually

Works Processor, you may be very right, . .previously in the post I tried to

explain that I was not sure what it was, . .  now that the icons are

changed it is hard to tell, but I still think you are right,

I'm posting what, I hope is the explorer window you wanted, the icon ;

representing SGC PPM is the one we have been discussing.

Thank you.

Jp

GX1_Man

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 07:55:16 PM »
So it was PEBCAK after all.

Jp

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 08:11:22 PM »
 MS Word Problem ?
« on: May 16, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently restored my system ;

Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1
128 MB of RAM

do to trojan irrepaiability !

I used the computer manufacturer's CD to restore.

My problem is I can not find my MS Word files, my Start column and icons has changed and just doesn't look the same, I'm sure that is where, note pad, word pad, and what I think is, MS word, meaning the files when open look very much like word pad with several exceptions,
one of which is, when scrolling you are able to tell when the page has ended and a new one starts.

If this is MS word, mine is missing.

Jp ...... Go into My Computer, C: drive...... find the folder called programs. open it..... look for a folder called MicroSoft Office ( if thats what you had) or MicroSoft Word.)
If you don't see either of them ....... you will simply reinstall your MicroSoft Word.

If it was PEBCAK, I had help !

I knew this was going to happen, . . :(

GX1_Man

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »
I think that you will find that most, if not all, of your problems are PEBCAK.  ;)

Jp

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 08:27:07 PM »
I'm still waiting for soybeans answer.

PEBCAK !!  SMEBCAK!!

:P

soybean,

This much I can tell you,
Previously before the restore there were three types of document files
Note Pad; the little note pads that don't allow you to print a single page or highlite for printing, and you can not change fonts from paragraph to paragraph.

Then there was the, (Word Pad),  this was stock in W98 and is the same in WXP, but there was not a place that I know of for adjusting pages of print,

Then there was the MS Work or what I thought was the MS Pad which had
a distnct page line markation that was visible when you scrolled down.
and was a bit more sophisticated then word pad, . . 

this is what your are saying I have mistaken for MS Words and is actually

Works Processor, you may be very right, . .previously in the post I tried to

explain that I was not sure what it was, . .  now that the icons are

changed it is hard to tell, but I still think you are right,

I'm posting what, I hope is the explorer window you wanted, the icon ;

representing SGC PPM is the one we have been discussing.

Thank you.

Jp

soybean

Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 08:49:06 PM »
So, apparently Works was part of the software on the computer when it was new.  If so, you were probably issued a CD with Works.  If true, you just need to get that CD and reinstall Works.  If you can't find a CD with Works, you can buy it; like MS Office, it's not free but it does not cost much.  You might go to ebay: Works 

You seem to talking about just one file.  If you only have one or a few files that you need to open and you don't want to buy Works, why not copy the file(s) to a floppy disk, take them to computer that has Works on it, open the files and then save them in .RTF format.  RTF can be opened in WordPad, which you have on your computer.

Jp

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 11:01:41 AM »
Hey Guys,

I think were are not getting to where I want to be.

Please let me say this in explanation to my problem.

When using my :
Compaq Presario 4403US ( Systems Model )
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1
128 MB of RAM

In the past prior to the system restore, There were three,(3) types of
document programs on my system ;

1. Note Pad
2.Word Pad
3.The mystrey program, (this is the one that disappeared and is now converted to the illegible format we are discussing.

Word pad, . . I have found when typing and printing does not offer a format that when wanting to type and print out seperate pages, does not have page breaks that I know of.

Therefore prior to printing you would use print preview and look at and see the text then determine what page it was on, if it wasn't where it was suppose tobe, i.e. you had to go back and move it but you still weren't sure.

Maybe I have something turned-off, . . but, . .

with the missing mystrey program, it was a delux functioning program when it came to this, you would know what page(s) your text was on, and if you wanted to break to another page, (a new page), you simply scrolled down to the visible page break and you new you were on the first line of the next page would be and comence typing, and therefore when you went to print the document your text would be on the page you expected it to be.

I thought that this was a stock program for most Windows, 98, XP.

Would you kindly tell me what the mystery program was or is because I can not find it any more.

If you don't know, please don't answer, maybe someone who knows will come along and help me regain this feature.

At this time the most logical explanation, I have is that Compaq has added this feature that I thought was stock, and that it is not necessarily stock and it may not have been on the restore CD system that I used, I am leary of placing these CD's back into my system at this time to look into the features, that I may have missed.

Mean while I will send a version of this letter as a request for defining informations, to both Compaq and Microsoft, that may give me a clear idea of what this program is. I will also check into the conversion system, .RTF format that soybean has introduced.

I can only ad this, I am looking for a program that creates documents where I can determine where the page break is.
I do want to know what this program is called, if I can not retrieve it in any other way. The name of it is not clear to me.

(For your Information )
Something tells me this was a MSWinWord97 program, I'm still checking.

I thank you sincerely for bearing this with your as usual graceful patience.

Jp

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 11:23:34 AM by Jp »

contrex

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 12:13:14 PM »
Would you kindly tell me what the mystery program was or is because I can not find it any more.

If you don't know, please don't answer, maybe someone who knows will come along and help me regain this feature.

You have a ****** cheek writing that, Jp, when you have jerked everybody's chain over this. You are the guy who does not even know the name of this so called "essential" program.

I can only ad this, I am looking for a program that creates documents where I can determine where the page break is.
I do want to know what this program is called, if I can not retrieve it in any other way. The name of it is not clear to me.

(For your Information )
Something tells me this was a MSWinWord97 program, I'm still checking.

What tells you that exactly?

<Admin edit> taking out swearwords...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:46:28 AM by Computer Hope Admin »

GX1_Man

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »

C'mon, contrex, you're not playing with the JP rules. Tell him what he wants to hear whether it is right or not. Don't confuse him with facts, his mind is made up.