Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Type Password" prompt at start up  (Read 5340 times)

Terri Buster

"Type Password" prompt at start up
« on: October 26, 2004, 02:51:31 PM »
Big problem with hard drive.  It crashed, (I presume), and my son brought it to me to see if I could fix it.  I plugged it in and started it up and all I get is a black screen with this phrase: "Type your password, then press enter".  Son says he never saw that prompt before.   Windows always came up at start-up.  I am assuming this is a DOS prompt, but I can't get any of the keys on the keyboard to type anything.  The only key that works is "enter", which repeats the phrase  (total) three times and then it locks me out.  

Is this a total wash, or can I take it to a repair shop to be fixed, or is this something I might can fix somehow?  
I am a novice with the inards of a computer.  My skills run to web pages, etc.

Crash mentioned above was a digital camera (cheap one) that his wife tried to download the software from, and then computer just blanked out. Hasn't worked since.

merlin_2

Re: "Type Password" prompt at start up
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 03:29:56 PM »
is this hard drive from a laptop.....

Terri Buster

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 03:31:57 PM »
No, it is from a PC.  An older one at that.  It has (had)Windows 95 on it.  

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 03:52:53 PM »
Sounds like someone entered a BIOS password.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000235.htm

Clearing it is near impossible on a laptop.  BTW, a laptop is a PC, but a PC is not necessarily a laptop.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 03:53:35 PM »
what make is this hardrive...maybe a diagnostics on may shred more light...like bad sector /block