Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card help  (Read 8662 times)

Shynnie

Intermediate

• "All I want is his whereabouts, then I'm rich"..!!
    Re: Video Card help
    « Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 03:37:14 AM »
    Dont be so nasty Dude. Msg that my HD is not load OS at all.
    =============================================================

"those who know how will always work 4 those who know why"

“the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence”

contrex

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 03:44:37 AM »
    Dont be so nasty Dude. Msg that my HD is not load OS at all.

This is a thread about Deny's video card. (See title "Video Card Help".) It is the wrong place for your question. It is not a chat room. You should not add your question to somebody elses thread. You should start a new one. Then you might get some answers.

Deny

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 03:15:34 AM »
    Alright let me update my story I recently bought a geforce 6800 gt from ebay and bought a psu of 350 watts so it said in the advertisement but when i recieved it said 400 max power output on the label. So i go ahead and unscrew my old 250 watt psu and put this new one in and i put the video card in and there is no signal or nothing in my moniter. I did uninstall all the drivers and in the bios setup i put it to agp for the video card and there is no on-board video i search and nothing. Well so after using a little i smelled something burning. When i feel my cpu its very hot which is unusual. Could it be that the psu is damaged or its giving to much energy to my cpu and not enought to the video card? Oh and the on-board lan got screwed or burned... What do you guys think is the problem?

contrex

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 03:32:29 AM »
    If you were in England I'd say that bonfire night came early this year...  :(

Was the cpu fan going round after the new psu was installed and you powered up?

How did you see the bios setup screen if there was no signal on your monitor?

Deny

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 03:41:00 AM »
    Yeah the fan was on and still it was burning hot. I put back my geforce fx 5600 agp back and my 250 watts psu and the cpu is cool again and the no burning smell ^^. Could it be possible that the psu is to strong for my mother board?

contrex

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 03:45:15 AM »
    I put back my geforce fx 5600 agp back as it was in the first place could it be possible that the psu is to strong for my mother board?

No, a 400 watt psu is better than a 300w psu. The motherboard only takes as much power as it needs. Did you check that all the plugs and connectors are properly inserted?

I do know that with Dell PSUs and motherboards, if you don't use a genuine Dell PSU you will fry the board, but I didn't think HP was like that.

Is the PC completely dead now?

Deny

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 03:50:01 AM »
    Yeah the fan was on and still it was burning hot. I put back my geforce fx 5600 agp back and my 250 watts psu and the cpu is cool again and the no burning smell ^^.(last replay modified it)
    And yeah i did connected all the connectors and used one seperate for the video card.
    Hmm nop my cpu is good and running again also I don't know if you heard about the hp bios update 3.12 that screws the bios settings and also your computer... Well I thought that updating the bios would help with the new video card but it just made it worst and it didn't want to turn on. Well so i ordered a new bios chip and today its working but the on-board Lan got screwed. I am thinking in trying the new video card with my 250 watts psu even though the video card needs 300 watts.

contrex

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 03:52:53 AM »
    maybe I should change what I said. A good 400 W psu is better than a good 300 W psu. A cheap 400W psu is worse than a good 300W psu. What brands are your new and old psus?

Deny

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 03:55:12 AM »
    the 400 w psu is a power king brand and it was about $20 the old one which is 250 watts came with the computer hp so i am guessing its from the company hp

contrex

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 04:01:12 AM »
    the 400 w psu is a power king brand and it was about $20 the old one which is 250 watts came with the computer hp so i am guessing its from the company hp

if that's 20 US dollars, then that PSU is what I would call an el-cheapo model. Quality ones cost upwards of $50.  Cheap PSUs are a waste of money. I am not BSing you here.

Deny

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 04:09:04 AM »
    Hmm so it could be that the cheap psu wasn't supplying electricity to the video card... and it was kinda burning my cpu... Hmm I spended about $200 usd so far and don't want to buy another psu and find out it wasn't the psu the problem  :(... Do you think maybe the mother board is not compatible with the video card or the the agp slot isn't compatible or something else that could be the problem?

contrex

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 04:24:58 AM »
    Well I think the 6800 GT needs a 1.5v AGP slot, and the Asus A7N8X-LA board has those according to a Google search, in fact the makers say "only use 1.5v AGP cards on this board" so i don't think that would be the problem.

You did go in the BIOS and disable the on board video?

Deny

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 04:39:41 AM »
    I went to bios settings but didn't find anything about disabling a on-board video card and on the back of the cpu there is no onboard video card to connect to the moniter. On product specifications it says :
    Onboard graphics memory - None

contrex

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 04:50:10 AM »
    The back of your motherboard doesn't look like this?

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs -  Motherboard Specifications, A7N8X-LA

at

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00006476&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=372031

1 - Mouse
    2 - Parallel
    3 - IEEE 1394 FireWire
    4 - Local Area Network
    5 - Line-In
    6 - Line-Out
    7 - Microphone
    8 - USB 2.0
    9 - VGA
    10 - Serial
    11 - Keyboard

Puzzlingly, if you have no onboard video, here is an HP page telling how to add an add-on card to the Pavilion a350e and other HP PCs with the Intel 810 or 815 onboard video chipset.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=buh06273&lc=en&cc=ca&product=384327&dlc=en

I quote:

Before beginning to install a video card, reinstall the i810 and i815 video drivers and make sure they function. This will ensure that all i810 and i815 video driver files can be located, removed, and disabled, before installation of the new video card drivers is performed.

Dam1an

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 05:03:20 AM »
    Do one thing for me.  Look and see if there's a switch on the back of your new PSU to change the voltage.  A lot of PSU's have a manual switch in the back that converts it to either 110 or 223 volts.  If it's set to 220 and you have it plugged into 110 you won't get much more than a power light and rarely the bios, but nothing more.  Other way around and you get this nice popping sound and some smoke.

Also, if possible, try using the new components in a different rig and see what happens.  I'm a big advocate of hot-swapping parts to known good setups to troubleshoot.

If its the same mobo and you had a video card in the AGP slot before you put the new one in, it's not the onboard video setting in the bios.  Was the old video card maybe a PCI slot card?