Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card help  (Read 8663 times)

Deny

Re: Video Card help
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 01:15:13 PM »
Maybe other similiar mother boards have a on-board video card but this one had a black plastic covering the vga onboard plug in

And Dam1an the new psu was on 115v.
When i first bought the computer it had a agp geforce fx 5600 install in it.

Deny

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 03:04:38 PM »
I've tried the new video card with the old 250 watts psu but it doesn't have enough power for the mobo and the new video card which requires 300 watts... hmm maybe the video card is not working...

Dam1an

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 03:17:14 PM »
Sounds like a video card problem to me, but I'd try placing it in a buddy's computer to test it first if I were you.  Video cards are expensive :P  Wanna be sure.

Deny

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 04:15:18 PM »
hmmmm i am getting kinda tired of all this problems  >:( I should get a new comp or something. I checked the bios settings and also notice that the cpu temp was at 60 C/138 F which is very hot... its a 4 year old pc... hmm should i just get a pci-express mobo and forget this whole thing

Deny

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 05:07:58 PM »
Hmm I have some good news  :) I plug the new video card geforce 6800 gt in a dell dimension 8100 with a psu 330 watts and it worked! So the video card is not the problem... The only problem is that the dell dimension has a 4x agp slot which is not good cuase i want 8x. I was planning in removing the psu of the dell dimension and putting it in my hp pavilion a350e. You guys think this might damage something or it won't work ^^?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 05:20:39 PM by Deny »

contrex

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 12:48:29 AM »
Sounds like a video card problem to me, but I'd try placing it in a buddy's computer to test it first if I were you.  Video cards are expensive :P  Wanna be sure.

What about the "buddy's" computer? Motherboards are expensive too!!!!

contrex

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 12:55:57 AM »
I was planning in removing the psu of the dell dimension and putting it in my hp pavilion a350e. You guys think this might damage something or it won't work ^^?

It's good for you that you asked!!! NEVER, never, never, never mix Dell power supplies and (any) other maker's motherboards!!! Or the other way around - NEVER mix Dell motherboards with ordinary, standard power supplies. In either of these scenarios you will destroy the hardware and the power supply.

Dell deliberately wire up their PSUs and motherboards differently from everyone else, but they use standard power connectors, and they don't warn you. The first you'll know is when you press the power button and nothing happens except a burning smell.

Deny

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 01:12:33 PM »
I came to a the conclusion that the cheap psu i bought is not cutting it even though it says 400W output... I ordered a antec 350 watts basiq and will try it with that psu. If that doesn't work I will have to put burn my pc

Deny

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 01:26:17 PM »
Hmm so I got the Antec psu 350 watts and installed in my cpu. It worked fine so i uninstalled my old video card and plug in the geforce 6800 gt and still no signal to the moniter. I think the video card is not compatible to my mother board or what else could it be...?

contrex

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 01:31:27 PM »
Hmm so I got the Antec psu 350 watts and installed in my cpu. It worked fine so i uninstalled my old video card and plug in the geforce 6800 gt and still no signal to the moniter. I think the video card is not compatible to my mother board or what else could it be...?

some video cards have a 4 pin 12 volt connector for a special power lead which they need because of the power consumption. Is your card one of these? Has the PSU got such a lead?

Deny

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2007, 01:37:49 PM »
yeap it does i've tried connecting it with a 4-pin power connectore directly from the psu and still no response  :(

contrex

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2007, 01:43:53 PM »
6800 gt does not work with all mobo chipsets. Google for "6800 gt incompatibility"

Deny

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2007, 02:06:19 PM »
ahh that sucks i spended like $200 + to upgrade this pc  i guess changing the mobo is not worth it. I think i would be better off buying a new pc...

Deny

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2007, 02:44:34 PM »
Hmmm thinking about it i think i am going to buy a new barebone system but i've got no idea which one or how to look for one that will be compatible with my old hardware