Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Home Networking (Basic Problem) for Newbie using Windows 2000 Pro  (Read 2875 times)

mozaltoff

Let me start by saying that my wife, kids, and I all have no computer networking experience.  But, we HAVE been reading thru MANY posts on this site (great site by the way) trying to find a problem similar to ours listed but to no avail.

We have 3 computers in a home situation.  They are all running Windows 2000 Professional edition.

We recently connected them to a LinkSYS router, via which all three can connect to the internet, so we can assume that is working OK.

All 3 machines can also "see" each other by clicking on "my Network Places" and then clicking on "Computers near me" but that's where the problem begins.

We would LOVE to be able to share information and files between the machines but when we click on either one of the "computers near me" the only two icons that come up for any other machine are labeled "printers" and "scheduled tasks" -- there is no option to access any other files or folders on the other machines.

What else do we need to do to allow the machines to share files and transfer data between them (even if it is only accessing each other's desktop?)

Thank you in advance for any help you can lend.  I know I probably left out many important details but if you need to know something else to help please post it and I will get back with more specific details as they are required. 

-moz
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 03:07:02 PM by mozaltoff »

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert