Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: More and more internet site are unable to reach.  (Read 13987 times)

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
    More and more internet site are unable to reach.
    « on: July 22, 2007, 02:15:48 PM »
    I've been having a strange problem since yesterday.
    More get the error message: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
    I even get that message at Google.com, hotmail.com, Some vids of youtube, ...
    When I ping the site I get the message: "ping statistics: 100% loss" (For those who do not know: start -> run -> cmd -> ping Google.com)
    There were 4 packages send and 0 received.
    But When I use the IP of the Site I'm able to access it.
    I checked the router for sites that might been blocked but I found that there weren't any sites blocked.
    This happens to all our computers of the network.

How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance Jonas ;)
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:37:31 PM by Jonas Wauters »

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: More and more internet site are unable to reach.
      « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »
      Sounds like you're having DNS troubles. Try reading this thread and see if anything help you.
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,39358.0.html
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:01:35 AM »
        I've already red that post when it first was posted but it doesn't exactly matches with mine.
        I do not get that DNS problem and if it would be a DSN problem than normally I should be able to ping the site?
        When I ping it I get 100% loss so.
        The problem is getting better now I'm able to enter google and Hotmail but I still can't get into my inbox.

Thanks for helping me Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 05:07:52 AM »
          I do not get that DNS problem and if it would be a DSN problem than normally I should be able to ping the site?
          When I ping it I get 100% loss so.
          If by pinging it you mean that you're pinging the domain (ping computerhope.com) then no, ping also need contact with a DNS server to resolve the domain name into an IP.
          The symptoms you described in your first post sounds exactly like DNS problems and when you say it happen to all the computers on your network I would suspect the router.

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 05:11:37 AM »
            that is exactly what I thought too but we have a router and an access point with both a different firmware and that same problem happens with both the wireless things.
            And I get the IP of the site by first ping the site and than Pinging the ip I got still 100% loss.
            I'll try to do as you said in the other post and I'll post if it worked.

Jonas ;)

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 07:19:02 AM »
              My dad won't allow me to change the codes he says that it will be fixed by itself.
              Any other suggestions?

Jonas ;)

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 07:54:45 AM »
                try pinging 127.0.0.1             what do you get?
                try pinging the IP your router gives          what do you get?

If both are 100% losses replace the nework card

Check Device Manager for any problems there with the NIC

Alan <><  :D
                I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 08:01:55 AM »
                  Already tried all of it.

0% loss

0% loss

Device is working properly.

I'm able to enter this site so.
                  Its only some sites like google.com is working only once and a while but I'm never able to enter My Inbox at hotmail

Jonas ;)

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 08:03:27 AM »
                    Isn't there any program I can install at this computer without affecting the router?

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                      « Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 11:26:26 AM »
                      Uhh what do you mean Jonas? No program installed on your computer should affect the router?

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 12:03:03 PM »
                        That was what I was asking.
                        If there is a program witch can change the DNS settings because I'm not allowed to change the router settings because they work ( in the most settings)now and he don't want any problems.

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                          « Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 12:07:12 PM »
                          Change your Windows DNS settings that should let you bypass the router. I explained how to do that in the thread I linked to.

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 01:31:01 PM »
                            I already tried both the code first the one of my router and then the one that you gave in the other threat: No luck.
                            Still having the same problem.

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                              « Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 01:51:34 PM »
                              Hmm...
                              Lets try and see where the packets are getting lost then.
                              In a Dos shell type 'tracert' followed by a domain you can't access.
                              E.g. tracert google.com
                              Then post the result here.

Btw. I don't know if you are aware of this but you can save the result to a file by putting >> and a file name after the command. E.g. tracert google.com >> google.txt. Just thought I'd tell you as it makes it a bit easier. :)

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 03:18:10 PM »
                                I didn't know the command but I did know how to save it. oh and I used Desktop/google.txt as google.txt didn't work.
                                I used login.live.com as google.com seems to work once and a while.
                                Alright here you go:
                                Tracing route to login.live.com.nsatc.net [65.54.179.203]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     *        *     
                                BTW: thanks for helping! I really need a smarter person than me to solve this.

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                                  « Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 05:15:48 PM »
                                  Hmmm...
                                  Is that really the entire log?
                                  See the tracert command traces the route a data package takes from your computer to its destination. The first hop should be your router, but  in your log, tracert didn't even get a response from it.
                                  Are you sure you didn't accidentally stop the trace before it finished? I probably should have mentioned that it can take a while.

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 02:51:18 AM »
                                    Sorry my fold it wasn't the entire log here it is:
                                    Code: [Select]
                                    Tracing route to login.live.com.nsatc.net [65.54.183.203]

1     *        *        *     Request timed out.

2     *        *        *     Request timed out.

3     *        *        *     Request timed out.

4     *        *        *     Request timed out.

5     *        *        *     Request timed out.

6     *        *        *     Request timed out.

7     *        *        *     Request timed out.

8     *        *        *     Request timed out.

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

10     *        *        *     Request timed out.

11     *        *        *     Request timed out.

12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

14     *        *        *     Request timed out.

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

16     *        *        *     Request timed out.

17     *        *        *     Request timed out.

18     *        *        *     Request timed out.

19     *        *        *     Request timed out.

20     *        *        *     Request timed out.

21     *        *        *     Request timed out.

22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

23     *        *        *     Request timed out.

24     *        *        *     Request timed out.

25     *        *        *     Request timed out.

26     *        *        *     Request timed out.

27     *        *        *     Request timed out.

28     *        *        *     Request timed out.

29     *        *        *     Request timed out.

30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Looks like nothing works?!
                                    I hope you have some info of this one!

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                                      « Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 06:11:35 AM »
                                      It tells me tracert wasn't able to get reply from your router (it should have been hop 1). that strengthens my suspicion that it is router related.
                                      But could you try and do a tracert for a site that does work?
                                      You were able to ping your router right?

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 10:48:12 AM »
                                        In also think its the router but I can't believe it.
                                        1) If the router is broken than the access point should work! (it a total different network)
                                        2) then the pass-by should work shouldn't it?
                                        Ok cause your the pro I'll let you decide what it is.
                                        Here is a log file of computerhope.com (Witch works perfectly. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to type this.)
                                        Tracing route to computerhope.com [204.228.150.3]

23   151 ms   144 ms   151 ms  www.computerhope.com [204.228.150.3]

Trace complete.
                                        I think I'm going to learn what that stuff means look cool.

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                                          « Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
                                          I have to say, those logs are really making me scratch my head.
                                          Let me demonstrate how a tracert log should look:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  10.0.0.1

2     6 ms     6 ms     8 ms  loop0.mxc1-aalx.ip.cybercity.dk [212.242.2.159]

3     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  ge-0-1-4-10.mcr1-arhx.ip.cybercity.dk [212.242.8.37]

4     8 ms     9 ms     8 ms  ge-0-0-0.mcr1-kolx.ip.cybercity.dk [212.242.6.9]

5    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  ge-1-0-0.mcr1-albx.ip.cybercity.dk [212.242.6.5]

6    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  ge-0-0-0.br1-albx.ip.cybercity.dk [212.242.6.22]

7    12 ms    12 ms    13 ms  213.242.108.9

8    37 ms    12 ms    26 ms  ge-0-0-0.mp1.Copenhagen1.Level3.net [4.68.125.189]

9    34 ms    35 ms    35 ms  ae-1-0.bbr1.London1.Level3.net [212.187.128.58]

10   150 ms   149 ms   150 ms  ae-0-0.bbr1.Denver1.Level3.net [64.159.1.113]

11   158 ms   153 ms   152 ms  ae-32-52.ebr2.Denver1.Level3.net [4.68.107.62]

12   152 ms   163 ms   154 ms  ae-1-100.ebr1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.132.37]

13   163 ms   163 ms   163 ms  ae-5-5.car2.SaltLakeCity1.Level3.net [4.69.133.125]

14   163 ms   163 ms   164 ms  ae-11-11.car1.SaltLakeCity1.Level3.net [4.69.133.121]

15   164 ms   163 ms   165 ms  unknown.Level3.net [64.158.69.18]

16   163 ms   165 ms   164 ms  gi-3-14.dcr1.slc.xmission.net [166.70.5.66]

17   164 ms   164 ms   163 ms  404.gi-1-2.asr1.slc.xmission.net [166.70.5.73]

18   262 ms   163 ms   163 ms  www.computerhope.com [204.228.150.3]
                                          Trace complete.
                                          So something is definitely wrong. You say you have the same problem with an access point? Isn't the access point connected to the router?

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
                                            Yes in some way it is: Its connected trough a switch(TOPCOM TSH-205)that the ISP "gave" us (They say its free but the next bill you get is a bill with the router inlcuded).
                                            There the Internet come in and is splitted in 3. 2 for Internet (Accesspoint and Router) and one sow we can dload movie true our digital TV.
                                            Sow in that way they are connected true a Ethernet cable.
                                            But a while ago I was going to connect the wireless by giving them the same SSID. (Wasn't allowed (same reason) I hope that there will be a major error sow I can change the things to what I want because when it is broken I'll be the one who'll have to fix it.
                                            Whit the help of you-guys  ;D(If you want off course))

Oh I've got something you might want to take a look at.
                                            This is imossible!
                                            This is from Google.com as you can see. Its works at the time I did the test.
                                            Here it is:
                                            Tracing route to google.com [64.233.167.99]

Trace complete.
                                            Weird huh!
                                            I really don't get this!!!
                                            This is way out of my reach!
                                            I hope you can solve it.
                                            BTW:Thanks for helping!

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                                              « Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 01:40:19 PM »
                                              Something is blocking the packages tracert uses, some firewall or routers might do this so I can't get much info out the trace logs.
                                              If this is affecting all the computers on the network regardless of whether they're connected through the AP or the router, I think it's time to contact your ISP. It might be a problem with the modem or a problem on the ISPs end.

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 02:04:53 PM »
                                                My dad won't contact the ISP before the problem keeps happening for more than 10 days.
                                                Looks like Windows OneCare firewall was blocking it.
                                                Here is a log of computerhope.com:

1    10 ms     9 ms    11 ms  10.78.0.1

2    11 ms    10 ms    11 ms  dD5E0FBA1.access.telenet.be [213.224.251.161]

3    17 ms    11 ms     9 ms  dD5E0FD51.access.telenet.be [213.224.253.81]

4    14 ms    10 ms    11 ms  dD5E0FD22.access.telenet.be [213.224.253.34]

6    11 ms    10 ms    11 ms  dD5E0FD62.access.telenet.be [213.224.253.98]

7    18 ms    19 ms    18 ms  Level3-Telenet-London [195.50.113.185]

8    31 ms    49 ms    22 ms  ae-31-53.ebr1.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.94]

9    25 ms    18 ms    18 ms  ae-1-100.ebr2.London1.Level3.net [4.69.132.118]

10   104 ms   106 ms    89 ms  ae-4.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.132.109]

11    90 ms    91 ms    90 ms  ae-61-61.csw1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.134.66]

12   106 ms    89 ms    90 ms  ae-62-62.ebr2.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.134.81]

13   115 ms   109 ms   107 ms  ae-2.ebr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.132.65]

14   123 ms   111 ms   108 ms  ae-68.ebr3.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.134.58]

15   182 ms   145 ms   143 ms  ae-3.ebr2.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.132.61]

16   144 ms   142 ms   145 ms  ae-1-100.ebr1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.132.37]

17   175 ms   154 ms   149 ms  ae-5-5.car2.SaltLakeCity1.Level3.net [4.69.133.125]

18   142 ms   143 ms   148 ms  ae-11-11.car1.SaltLakeCity1.Level3.net [4.69.133.121]

19   143 ms   146 ms   143 ms  AMERICAN-FI.car1.SaltLakeCity1.Level3.net [64.158.68.14]

20   144 ms   143 ms   143 ms  unknown.Level3.net [64.158.69.18]

21   162 ms   144 ms   143 ms  gi-3-14.dcr1.slc.xmission.net [166.70.5.66]

22   165 ms   143 ms   143 ms  404.gi-1-2.asr1.slc.xmission.net [166.70.5.73]

23   148 ms   147 ms   144 ms  www.computerhope.com [204.228.150.3]

Trace complete.
                                                Looks like this is what you were looking for no?
                                                I hope you can help me I really need  to see my Inbox. (I'm starting to sound like a newbie that need a quick answer sorry for that)
                                                I don't need a quick answer but I don't want to wait 7 days before I can check my mails.

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                  « Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »
                                                  Now that's a lot better. :)
                                                  Do a tracert for a domain that doesn't work and lets see where it takes us. :)

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 03:52:47 PM »
                                                    OK I'm afraid it isn't working.
                                                    First I did this: (To make sure my firewall isn't blocking the process.)

1   108 ms    11 ms     9 ms  10.78.0.1

2    14 ms    11 ms    11 ms  dD5E0FBA1.access.telenet.be [213.224.251.161]

3    17 ms    10 ms    10 ms  dD5E0FD51.access.telenet.be [213.224.253.81]

4    16 ms    10 ms    10 ms  dD5E0FD22.access.telenet.be [213.224.253.34]

5       *        12 ms    12 ms  dD5E0FD26.access.telenet.be [213.224.253.38]

6    15 ms    10 ms    14 ms  dD5E0FD62.access.telenet.be [213.224.253.98]

7    27 ms    20 ms    17 ms  Level3-Telenet-London [195.50.113.185]

8    28 ms    18 ms    17 ms  ae-31-53.ebr1.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.94]

9    30 ms    17 ms    18 ms  ae-1-100.ebr2.London1.Level3.net [4.69.132.118]

10    91 ms    88 ms    87 ms  ae-4.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.132.109]

11    90 ms    89 ms   111 ms  ae-61-61.csw1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.134.66]

12   105 ms    91 ms    89 ms  ae-62-62.ebr2.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.134.81]

13   121 ms   108 ms   108 ms  ae-2.ebr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.132.65]

14   125 ms   118 ms   116 ms  ae-68.ebr3.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.134.58]

15   147 ms   130 ms   139 ms  ae-3.ebr2.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.132.61]

16   140 ms   144 ms   144 ms  ae-1-100.ebr1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.132.37]

17   149 ms   147 ms   173 ms  ae-5-5.car2.SaltLakeCity1.Level3.net [4.69.133.125]

18   148 ms   145 ms   146 ms  ae-11-11.car1.SaltLakeCity1.Level3.net [4.69.133.121]

19   145 ms   147 ms   148 ms  AMERICAN-FI.car1.SaltLakeCity1.Level3.net [64.158.68.14]

20   147 ms   146 ms   149 ms  unknown.Level3.net [64.158.69.18]

21   149 ms   152 ms   145 ms  gi-3-14.dcr1.slc.xmission.net [166.70.5.66]

22   152 ms   144 ms   144 ms  404.gi-1-2.asr1.slc.xmission.net [166.70.5.73]

23   150 ms   146 ms   144 ms  www.computerhope.com [204.228.150.3]

Trace complete.

Looks good doesn't it?

Then I did this:
                                                    Tracing route to hotmail.msn.com [64.4.33.7]

Trace complete.
                                                    But this looks like something is blocking it wright?
                                                    I checked twice and the firewall was of and to be sure I even checked Windows firewall.

I hope you do have some info with this.
                                                    Again thanks for helping me mate.

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                      « Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 04:01:52 PM »
                                                      That is just weird. It's able to get the correct IP so it's not a DNS problem. Your computer is able to do complete traces to some sites, but can't even get a response from the router on other. ???
                                                      You don't by chance have a spare router lying around you could try instead?

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »
                                                        Nope no spare router.
                                                        I can connect to the other network or I could plug the cable right into my computer.
                                                        That switch can't be it wright?
                                                        Tried the other network: Same problem.
                                                        I think it will be the ISP but then the problem would be solved after this period, No?
                                                        I use Telenet.(NOT TELNET that's something else)
                                                        Sow if anyone used telenet and can or can't connect to hotmail.msn.com Please let me know.

Jonas ;)

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
                                                          • Google
                                                        • Certifications: List
                                                        • Computer: Specs
                                                        • Experience: Experienced
                                                        « Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 04:21:02 PM »
                                                        i have a friend with telenet, whose main email address is with hotmail. he checks hotmail everyday. he also hasn't had a problem before... the only problem he had was with customer service.
                                                        Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 04:30:45 PM »
                                                          Yes but it could be different in different countries, no?
                                                          Does he live in Belgium?
                                                          Or can't it be the ISP?

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                            « Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »
                                                            Yes try to plug directly into the modem. If it works then, I'm pretty sure the router is the culprit. I can't rule out the switch completely, but I think it's less likely to be the problem because a switch doesn't have the capabilities to block certain domains.

Btw. you may or may not get internet access straight after connecting directly to the modem. This because the modem might still be expecting to see your router and sometimes they can be really slow at detecting a change.

I would think that if this was a general problem with the ISP it would be fixed by now, considering that these are major sites many of their users are likely to visit. But it might be just a problem with your connection.

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 04:59:34 PM »
                                                              After much reading I found out:
                                                              That Telenet is using a MAC filter.
                                                              Because of our budget we can only use 2 mac addr.
                                                              One of the router and one of the accespoint.
                                                              We would have to call to Telenet to change that and after testing I would have to call back to rearrange it.
                                                              So I can't try it but if it would be the router than the accespoint should work, no?

Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                                « Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 08:14:12 AM »
                                                                Okay, well then I can't really think of much else to try besides all the basic stuff I probably should have started with, but assumed you've already tried. Like powering off the modem, switch, router and so on and then power them back up. You could also try to reset your router.

Else I'm all out of ideas. :(

Jonas Wauters

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 08:33:16 AM »
                                                                  Ok thanks Deerpark for helping me out!!
                                                                  I learned allot like the DNS bypass and the tracert command!
                                                                  As there was no other solution I reseted the whole thing!
                                                                  Now the problem is solved after hours of testing and making the router work! (It was only my second time so...)
                                                                  Thanks for taking the time to helpe me!
                                                                  I'd liked it if I could solve it without having to rest but hé it works so.

Thanks for everyone who helped me!!
                                                                  Jonas ;)

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                                    « Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 09:57:35 AM »
                                                                    Sometimes a router reset is simply unavoidable. But if your router supports saving its settings to a file this can make your life a lot easier. Then you can just restore the settings file after the reset.

But it's good to hear everything is working again and that I could teach you a little. :)