Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing plug & play Drivers  (Read 3539 times)

darren10000

Missing plug & play Drivers
« on: August 01, 2007, 06:39:17 AM »
Help!!!

I plugged in a new usb memory stick and xp couldn't install it!.  I went to the device manager and discovered that all of the preloaded generic drivers for everything has gone; not just for usb but everything.  When I clicked on 'all devices', normally loads of drivers for everything appears, but it windows says there's nothing there.

I checked the PNP directory, and all the dll files are there.

Consequently I cannot even plug in a joystick, memstick, camera or anything and get it working unless I've got the Driver CD, which obviously I haven't got as they are all Plug & Play. And the last thing I want to do is re-install xp as my system is a packard bell, and that'll involve formatting the HD as it runs it's own recovery program which wipes everything back to factory condition  >:(, and I don't have a external HD to back up 170Gb of personal files to.

Any ideas would be great

Darren

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Missing plug & play Drivers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:41:50 PM »
You should have a Packard Bell Driver disc that shipped with the machine...all that would be needed is to re-install the motherboard drivers...no re-install of XP.

If not check Packard Bell's website or whoever bought them out.
And start considering a regular backup strategy. All HDD's fail even externals. I recommend Acronis True Image.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "