Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 2000 install  (Read 8733 times)

Matt

Win 2000 install
« on: March 16, 2004, 08:59:09 AM »
Can anyone help !

When trying to install windows 2000 pro my computer freezes at the point where "setup is starting windows" is displayed in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, on a blue backdrop.
This has occurs when installing form Win98 SE and from a formatted drive.    

I am using a ASrock K2VT2 board, Authentic AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+ , NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X, 80 Gb Maxtor hard drive, 512 RAM and a Conexant SoftK56 Data,Fax,Speakerphone PCI Modem.

Many Thanks Matt

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Win 2000 install
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 03:36:56 PM »
Matt,

Unfortunately we were not able to find to much about this type of issue, so we will make a few suggestions.

• Open CMOS setup and make sure the computer hardware does not have a virus protection enabled.
  • Is the 2000 CD you are installing from a burned CD if so it could be a bad burn.
  • Make sure the CD is clean.
  • Try removing any unnecessary hardware such as printer, scanner, USB devices, etc and try the install.
  • During the format of the hard disk drive do you get any errors, if so it's possible the hard drive may be failing causing the installation to fail?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 03:37:22 PM by admin »
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Matt

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 10:34:18 AM »

Hello

I've have remove all other hardware, no luck
i have aslo had no errors on the hard drive, and have used the disk to install on another pc

Please could you explain how to use CMOS setup to make sure the computer hardware does not have a virus protection enabled.

Thanks Again

Matt

Rick

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 12:46:00 AM »
Hello

I've have remove all other hardware, no luck
i have aslo had no errors on the hard drive, and have used the disk to install on another pc

Please could you explain how to use CMOS setup to make sure the computer hardware does not have a virus protection enabled.

Thanks Again

Matt

Rick

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 01:37:53 AM »
 :P matt,
Did you enter bios to make sure the virus protection was not enabled? Did you save your new config data in bios after removing all? hardware Is it an ASUS board and r u sure of the numbers?If it is an asus and the K#V sounds like ASUS I bet the # is K7V-T and it does not support the xp 24oo  there is also a patch the for AGP video. I also had a similar event with XP and It turned out to be a bad ram stick. Pull them out one at a time and make sure u dupkicate the event. If you you still have a prob then try the other ram stick and see what it does but chk compatability of ALL individual components to insure they will work together - and check the model # of motherboard and go to the manufacturers website. I will bet u aren't the only one who has experienced that particular problem. GOOD LUCK. and remeber: that which doesn't kill us or get us thrown in the same cell with Bubba makes us stronger.
Rick If it works get back and let us know? :-/ ???
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Matt Bullock

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 01:56:35 PM »
Cheers Rick

i tried to disable the virus protection, but i could not find the option in my BIOS. After reading around i understand that some BIOS do not have such a feature?

I have used a BIOS agent to find the following

BIOS Date: 12/10/02
BIOS Type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID:   62-P120-001368-00101111-040201-VIA_K7-K7VT2120
OEM Sign-On: K7VT2 BIOS P1.20                                            
Chipset:   VIA 82C3099 rev 0
Superio:   Winbond 697HF rev 2 found at port 2Eh
CPU Type:  AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+                        
CPU Speed: 2000 Mhz
CPU Max:   3000 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 512 MB
Memory Maximum: 4096 MB
Memory Slot 01: 0 MB
Memory Slot 02: 0 MB
Memory Slot 03: 256 MB
Memory Slot 04: 256 MB              

Any advise would be of great help!!

Thanks

MATT          

Mukhtar

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 06:02:54 AM »
Dear

I have faced this problem. u must repalced your HDD and try again

Good Luck

Matt Bullock

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 04:16:31 AM »

Dear

I have installed Win 98 on the HDD so why not Win 2000?. The hard drive is brand new.
I have mailed maxtor and ASrock for advise, still awaiting for a response.
Does anyone think that upgrading the BIOS will solve the problem?

Thanks

Matt

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 09:32:09 PM »
Depending on the age of the computer a BIOS update may help with your upgrade. If you are able to install Windows 98 with no problems it is definately not a hard drive related issue however.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 09:32:32 PM by admin »
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Matt

Re: Win 2000 install (solved!!)
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 02:04:32 PM »
!!Problem solved!!

I flashed my bios to the newest version via Asrock, but a little later on in the setup froze at scanning C drive.

Than I removed one of my memory sticks, Bingo!! ;D

For some unknown reason ??? it worked after updating the BIOS and remove one RAM stick, leaving only one.  (as "e POX" posted)

Many thanks to all who posted. ;)

With a bit of luck I will not post again, unless to help some other frustrated :-/ pc user!      

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 02:42:48 PM »
Thanks for the follow up. We always enjoy finding out what the end solution was to a users problem.
-Albert Einstein