Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IPX/SPX Netware  (Read 7605 times)

John Chain

IPX/SPX Netware
« on: November 22, 2004, 09:50:08 PM »
Okay first question. Do I need the client for netware networks on both comps to get IPX/SPX to work? Because IPX/SPX always to refers to NetWare. Second is, Win 98SE has Clients for Netware Networks, but Win XP home edition keeps tellin me the database don't exist and it asks me to run the driver from a disk, "have disk." I have run a system recovery disk, so that might of screwed it up, and I don't want to run it again to find the driver. So is there any place i can download and install this driver onto XP? What driver is it?

Joleen

Re: IPX/SPX Netware
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 05:48:06 AM »
Don't use the Windows provided clients for novell.  Download the appropriate client from the novell website.

John Chain

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 08:14:43 AM »
Do you have any suggestions for a client that runs IPX/SPX (from Novell)? Otherwise I want to know how to recover these missing clients.

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 11:07:36 AM »
Hmm well I'd go to the novell website and search for the appropriate client based on what operating system you're installing to.  But that's me.

John Chain

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 04:43:21 PM »
I did go to the novell website to download a client a while ago, but I guess I should have asked for what version of the netware client does Win XP home edition have. They offer netware 6.x. I'm pretty sure there is something older.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 04:51:12 PM »
John can you explain more on this project you have under took...to play games on!!!!via the net or..home networking....i dare say is the net....as you maybe aware the netblui....it runs the risks of port scanning and crackers...update us on what you are trying to do..and more posters may help you...someone knows out there...

John Chain

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 11:18:55 PM »
Yes, I am trying to play games that only work over IPX/SPX. It turns out I have a bigger problem. When I go to install new network clients, it turns out it can't find the drivers. How can I recover them?
(I don't have XP CD).

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 03:08:05 AM »

John Chain

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 09:04:41 AM »
It turns out, that this game can run on NetBIOS over TCP/IP, so thanks for the help anyways.

John Chain

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 10:06:25 AM »
Okay sorry folks, I got the game to work over netBIOS, but it is so slow you can't even play. You move two pixels, wait five minutes and the same thing over and over again, I'm sure IPX is about 40 times faster. I looked at the sight Merlin, it didn't help much, any good tutorials on how to set up IPX/SPX between Win 98SE and Win XP?

John Chain

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 12:44:53 PM »
I donloaded an old version of Novell netware client but i don't know what server im using. To set up TCP/IP, I just added the client to both computers and it worked, shouldn't it be like this for IPX?

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 01:42:34 PM »
to find the server ipconfig/all in the  command prompt...hope you have a  good firewall..those  port scanners...are something else...alexa is a good one...and apropos....ati .dll..i have my share.. ;D

John Chain

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 02:17:16 PM »
So the server I was looking for was the DHCP server?

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 02:29:09 PM »
info>http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm  and if you use a sygate firewall you can... the use whois....program...

John Chain

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 02:45:14 PM »
Well, between XP and 98SE, I have a Novel Netware Client (downloaded), one for XP and one for 98SE since the same one can't work on both, incompatible versions. And I want them to communicate over an IPX/SPX protocol. From my understanding, IPX/SPX ONLY works over novell netware. Novell's netware client keeps asking me for a server, and I don't know what my server is. I can't use the DHCP server: one, because I don't know what the client is looking for (just DHCP or the actual IP address, either don't work). Two, DHCP assigns IP addresses, and I want IPX/SPX. So if anybody is familiar with the old Novell netware client 4.x, i could use some help. Unless there is another way to run IPX/SPX.