Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista, why should you get it?  (Read 14865 times)

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Windows Vista, why should you get it?
    « Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 08:31:29 AM »
    Maybe that's just me . . . but I wouldn't want to trade last year's Ford Mondeo for this year's, and then find out the pedals are on the ceiling.

I agree wholeheartedly. I had to install Vista on a relative's computer (they paid me for the know-how, not so I could advise them on OSs...), and it took me an extra 10 minutes to do simple, everyday tasks. Then, of course, installing software was a bit of a problem: Compatibility. Multiple times, I had to try compatibility mode or (worse) not install drivers for hardware. This sucked. Of course, everyone knows the dreaded:

The actual PC not handy, I got this off the internet. We ALL know this little box. I bet $12 that they'll be tired of that in a year or less.
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 03:33:02 PM »
    I don't want to have to get used to something entirely different when I "upgrade" my OS - in an upgrade, what I want to see is more speed, reliability, and security.  If I have to pay for this, then fine.  What I don't want is having to re-learn the entire OS.  Maybe that's just me . . . but I wouldn't want to trade last year's Ford Mondeo for this year's, and then find out the pedals are on the ceiling.
    So... you want Windows 3.11?

ale52:
    Dont let the performance of the VPC fool you, it may be greatly decreased simply since its on a VPC

Compatibility:
    Its still better than a Macs performance and compatibility.

Dilbert:
    I think 10 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration. There are quite a few things in different places, but overall, its very much the same. It only took me one week to get out of XP mode. (And, thats really not much time when you think about it)

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 08:59:03 PM »
      Okay, a bit of one. But, if they tout their "ease of use", they'd best back it up. ;)
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 05:31:46 AM »
        Reasons to "get" Windows Vista (right now):
        DX10
        It's pretty

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 12:48:58 PM »
        So... you want Windows 3.11?
        I don't go back that far.
        What I'm saying is, radical changes aren't what I want to see.
        Win2K/WinXP - to me, they are similar enough to be easy to use both, why can't Vista continue the trend?

M1CH431

Hopeful
        • DuffMan!!!
          « Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 06:38:38 PM »
          I don't get why people say that Vista is so different. Personallyif your just doing simple tasks its very easy to use.

evanparker2134

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 12:27:26 AM »
          I actually enjoy Vista very much. It plays [most] of my games flawlessly, although they perform better on XP (driver maturity). I did do a dual boot XP/Vista and am having trouble getting back into Vista after installing XP on a partition. If you could, go to the thread labeled "Vista/XP partition problems" and help me out. Appreciate it.

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
            • Yes
          « Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 05:11:55 PM »
          Driver concerns:
          Though older hardware may not have drivers from the manufacturer, Windows Vista may have a generic driver for it. This is, basically, like a generic drug from the pharmacy. Its the same thing, but it costs less and it is used as a substitute. Now, yes, of course, XP does have the same support, but I cant come up with a contradiction, so this really hasn't changed much, except that newer hardware will work better in Vista than in XP, though, I doubt that hardware companies will just stop supporting XP all the sudden... SUPPORT LINUX FOR ONCE, BROAD-COM!

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
            • Google
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 05:41:03 AM »
          Windows Vista, why should you get it?
          you shouldn't.
          Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
            « Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 10:48:06 PM »
            Actually, having looked at some Linux OSs, Vista seems to copy them. And I'm glad I didn't get Vista until recently, as I am still having compatibility issues with it!

But I cannot lie.... I have NEVER liked XP, it was just so....

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
              • Yes
            « Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 10:53:54 PM »
            Actually, having looked at some Linux OSs, Vista seems to copy them. And I'm glad I didn't get Vista until recently, as I am still having compatibility issues with it!

But I cannot lie.... I have NEVER liked XP, it was just so....
            I think that you will find, most Linux OS's have copied Windows, and Macintosh. (Specifically for the OS Desktop interface design, GUI)

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
              « Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:44 PM »
              That could be.... Linux creators wouldn't want their OS to be too far from Windows. If they did, less people would use it because it would be much harder to learn.

thedairyman

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 08:03:12 PM »
              Aero, the program that adds the special effects like Windows Card Flip, Glass Effect, Transparent Task Bars/Menu Bar, is in fact, all for eye-candy.
              But why?

Because, if it had the same look as XP, why in the world would they call it Vista?

Why did Microsoft add the Windows Vista eye-candy, even if it requires more resources?

And then you said:

Now, another thing to remember is that Aero utilizes the GRAPHICS CARD, not your CPU! If you have a descent graphics card, you will not be wasting your CPU usage.

As for RAM: Yeah, they did go a bit too far in that department, but all over, Vista itself doesn't require much RAM. Aero wont kill you, and 1GB of RAM isn't going to leave you with almost nothing.

Okay, so I'm not a Vista user, but Vista has some of the features included with XP.
              I at least took a test drive.

Mind reminding me why you dislikes Windows XP when it first came out? You didn't have a real reason, you just didn't think it as worthwhile. And now, you think its the greatest thing on earth. What now?

That's a different matter. Don't change the subject.

Comment if you want, but I don't plan on letting this get into an argument or war.

I don't think many people are here to start and argument or war, nor am I.
              My best advice is to cut out as many visual effects as possible, without making it look like 'old style' Windows.

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
                • Yes
              « Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 08:14:56 PM »
              Aero, the program that adds the special effects like Windows Card Flip, Glass Effect, Transparent Task Bars/Menu Bar, is in fact, all for eye-candy.
              But why?

Because, if it had the same look as XP, why in the world would they call it Vista?
              *cough*
              Kernel, people, Kernel
              Why did Microsoft add the Windows Vista eye-candy, even if it requires more resources?

And then you said:

Now, another thing to remember is that Aero utilizes the GRAPHICS CARD, not your CPU! If you have a descent graphics card, you will not be wasting your CPU usage.

Correct. Resources include a graphics card, the graphics card is a resource, and since it requires a descent one, it requires a resource.

As for RAM: Yeah, they did go a bit too far in that department, but all over, Vista itself doesn't require much RAM. Aero wont kill you, and 1GB of RAM isn't going to leave you with almost nothing.

Okay, so I'm not a Vista user, but Vista has some of the features included with XP.
              I at least took a test drive.

Mind reminding me why you dislikes Windows XP when it first came out? You didn't have a real reason, you just didn't think it as worthwhile. And now, you think its the greatest thing on earth. What now?

That's a different matter. Don't change the subject.
              How is it different?
              Its a reflect on past versions, and a reminder of the cause of todays argument. People dont like a little bit of change.
              Comment if you want, but I don't plan on letting this get into an argument or war.

I don't think many people are here to start and argument or war, nor am I.
              My best advice is to cut out as many visual effects as possible, without making it look like 'old style' Windows.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                « Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 02:29:06 PM »
                Why does everyone like the old of the old Windows anyway?