Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Update won't update!  (Read 4281 times)

kafka

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Windows Update won't update!
    « on: September 02, 2007, 12:19:58 AM »
    Windows (Vista) advises me that there are new updates available. I click the box and Windows Update looks for updates. After five minutes or so I am notified that "Windows Could Not Search For New Updates". The code is 80070002. I have clicked the help link and followed the instructions which are supposed to solve this problem but it won't go away.

I have tried updating with Zone Alarm firewall and Avast Anti-virus disabled but had no luck.

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows Update won't update!
    « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 12:31:25 AM »
    could it be pirate vista? ::)

Richenstony

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 02:07:50 AM »
    I have got a few copys for pirate vista updates fine for me , only assumeing he has a pirate theres a update that can completely shut the OS down so ive been told by a few eggheads :D when you 1st install vista the updates run without you knowing .......... i actually wish i could help this guy out *sigh* vistas a pain in the *censored* , i dont blame people for getting illegal copys its way to pricey for what it is ........... i have a legit version as well though :P so i aint all bad :D

kafka

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 10:49:05 PM »
      No, I have a legitimate copy of Vista which came pre-installed with my Lenovo. Windows Update was working fine until I downloaded and ran a registry cleaner. After that big mistake I found that my scanner didn't work and some of my other stuff had to be re-set up. Everything works now except Windows Update and Windows System Restore. I was able to restore my system using System Restore in Lenovo Care.

JXY

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 05:24:55 AM »
        No, I have a legitimate copy of Vista which came pre-installed with my Lenovo.
        just cuz something's pre-installed doesnt mean it legitimate. try going to the microsoft support website and have them check to see if you're copy of windows is genuine or not.

Windows Update was working fine until I downloaded and ran a registry cleaner

which cleaner did you use?

did you choose to backup registry changes?

you might be able to restore those registry entries which were deleted.
        Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime

kafka

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:11:39 PM »
          My Vista is definitely legitimate. Widows Update used to work before I installed the abovementioned registry cleaner. Unfortunately I have removed that software and can't remember what it was called. This was stupide as the software did create a backup but I don't know where it is.

Lenovo Support reckons that the registry cleaner planted a bug which prevents both Windows Update and Windows Restore working so that I can't go back to a time when I didn't have the bug! They suggest taking my machine to a computer repair shop or formatting the hard drive and starting again. Neither suggestion appeals to me much

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 06:38:05 PM »
          I agree...not attractive options...

Try Here
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JXY

Hopeful
            « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 05:34:50 AM »
            sometimes, when you uninstall a program, the directory folder might still exist, however empty or almost empty it might be.

you should check in your program files folder to see if you can recall what that program was called. and you might find your registry backup in the directory folder too.
            Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime