Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: QBasic won't stay open for more than a few seconds  (Read 2994 times)

QBMan

QBasic won't stay open for more than a few seconds
« on: November 26, 2004, 05:26:15 AM »
I can't get QBasic to stay open for more than a few seconds.  I am using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.  At another forum, someone said:

"The problem is most probably in NTVDM.EXE, the XP DOS emulator."

I'm not sure if that person is correct, but he couldn't help me fix it, if that was the problem.  Does anyone here know what might be wrong?

When I right-click on it, and click Run As, it brings up this error message.  "A temporary file needed for initialization could not be created or could be written to.  Make sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available."

THANKS!

merlin_2

Re: QBasic won't stay open for more than a few sec
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 02:45:33 PM »
I use XP Pro and have had no problem running QBasic. Most people's problem stems from where they put the \QBASIC directory. It should be as follows:

C:\QBASIC\

You may or may not have to go into QBasic, and change the file paths [depending on which version you're using].

I have QBasic v1.0, and all I did was copy it from another computer, and stick it right back into the same root directory, and it worked

.............snipped  from mr  j smith.........................

and you need this>http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5967/downcomp.htm

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: QBasic won't stay open for more than a few sec
    « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 03:53:38 PM »
    Try using this

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

A better DOS emulator for XP.

Or try using a more recent programming langauge. There are more powerful and (sometimes) easier to use/learn langauges available.