Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where do i find ms-dos in windows 2000 Prof ?  (Read 2943 times)

stephen_waller

Where do i find ms-dos in windows 2000 Prof ?
« on: November 26, 2004, 08:29:38 AM »
Hi

I am a bit of a newbie with computer and i am struggling to find MS-DOS on my computer, my pc runs on windows 2000 professional and i have just installed a new Maxtor 120 gb hard drive into my computer and i want to transfer my full O.S system onto my new hard drive, i have already install the new hard drive, and when i am in windows and go to explore my computer, my new hard drive is not there, or there is no reference to it at all, i have downloaded a copy of norton ghost, and i was hoping to transfer my O.S onto the new hard drive as well as to partition the new drive into two sixty gb drives (whcih would i think make defragging a little easier as well) but i am struggling because i cannot find ms-dos please can anyone help me ?????

Computer_Commando

Re: Where do i find ms-dos in windows 2000 Prof ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 10:11:27 AM »
There is no longer an MS-DOS on Win2k or WinXP, that's why you can't find it.  Create a Win98 floppy boot disk, add Ghost and run from the FD.
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Does BIOS recognize new hard drive?  Did you remember to set jumpers on old hard drive and new hard drive (master, slave).

Did you read the instructions that came with your new Maxtor hard drive?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 10:12:05 AM by Computer_Commando »