Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing XP on two h disks  (Read 6519 times)

shouvik

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Computer Hope - Always For Your Help
    installing XP on two h disks
    « on: September 13, 2007, 05:42:08 PM »
    If i have two hard disks can i intall Windows XP on both and use them
    on the same computer?

This I am asking because I Want to work on two programs (both need Windows XP for running properly) and both can not run on the same Windows XP operating system simultaneously.

So is it possible that I use the two h disks on the same computer, partition them, and then install Win XP on both h disks? And if i install the two programs on the two h disks will they run properly?

Thanks

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: installing XP on two h disks
      « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 05:45:31 PM »
      no

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 05:46:11 PM »
      Yes, its possible, I personally don't know how (but you cant run them at the same time), but I thought I might provide this for an alternative:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx
      Its free to download, don't worry. (and you can run them at the same time)
      You might consider putting the virtual HDD file on your second drive, that way, you can simultaneously access data.

Recall:
      WGA can and will prevent you from using both OS's at the same time, and it will sneak onto the internet.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:06:14 PM »
        This I am asking because I Want to work on two programs (both need Windows XP for running properly) and both can not run on the same Windows XP operating system simultaneously.
        So you want to install 2 XPs on seperate HDDs and run them simultaneously so that you can run 1 program on each at the same time.... NO.

Edit: Take it up another notch and get 2 computers. ;)

shouvik

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 09:14:15 AM »
          So you want to install 2 XPs on seperate HDDs and run them simultaneously so that you can run 1 program on each at the same time.... NO.

Edit: Take it up another notch and get 2 computers. ;)

I already have two computer (or, more precisely, system units), but the other is a Pentium II and although XP can be installed on it, it gets harder to run some programs on a PII machinewith XP installed. So I was thinking to get the h disk of the PII machine into the PIII.

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »
          But, he could install 2 XPs on seperate HDDs and NOT run them simultaneously. 

This reference may be helpful: Beginners Guides: Dual OS Installation of WindowsXP 32-bit/64-bit

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »
            Correct me if I'm wrong shouvik but it seems to me that you want to run two XPs on one computer simultaneously?
            I don't think that will work.

shouvik

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 08:10:33 PM »
              Correct me if I'm wrong shouvik but it seems to me that you want to run two XPs on one computer simultaneously?

Yeah I want to run to XP from the same computer, but from separate PHYSICAL hard disk (pls note that i am not talking about separate partions on same disks,
              but talking about separate h disks, thatn means the two h disks can have
              one or more partitions on each of them, and i install XP on the first drive of
              those two h disks).

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
                • Yes
                • Technology News and Information
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »

Yeah I want to run to XP from the same computer, but from separate PHYSICAL hard disk (pls note that i am not talking about separate partions on same disks,
              but talking about separate h disks, thatn means the two h disks can have
              one or more partitions on each of them, and i install XP on the first drive of
              those two h disks).
              Its not possible...
              The best thing you can do is download Virtual PC 2007 (free) from Microsoft and create a VPC for XP, and then have the VPC HD file on the separate HDD. This allows you to run two XP Operating Systems at the same time, while keeping them separate.
              http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx