Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downloaded IE 7-now I can't use IE 7 at all-what to do?  (Read 6904 times)

kernel

Topic Starter

Rookie

Downloaded IE 7-now I can't use IE 7 at all-what to do?
    « on: September 19, 2007, 11:35:42 AM »
    Last week in an effort to update, I thought I had downloaded IE 7 correctly.  Looks like I made a mess as I am unable to use IE7.  I keep getting this message which I don't understand.  My son, who is much more knowledgeable also has hit a brick wall.  Help would be most appreciated.  Here's what we get when we try to open IE7:

The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
    To attempt fixing network connectivity problems, click Tools, and then click "Diagnose Connection Problems..." 

Windows cannot connect the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP.  This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer.  Check firewall settings for HTTP Port 80, HTTPS Port 443 and FTP Port 21

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established 
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.
    info Redirecting user to support call

DNS Client Diagnostic
    DNS - Not a home user scenario

info Using Web Proxy: no
    info Resolving name ok for (www.microsoft.com): yes
    No DNS servers

DNS failure

Gateway Diagnostic
    Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Disabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list: 
    info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 24.184.232.1
    info This computer has the following IP address(es): 24.184.234.100
    info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
    info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
    info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
    info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
    info TCP port 80 on host 207.46.19.190 was successfully reached
    info The Internet host www.microsoft.com was successfully reached
    info The default gateway is OK

IP Layer Diagnostic
    Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
    info The loopback route is valid
    info The local host route is valid
    info The local subnet route is valid
    Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
    Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 24.184.234.100

Wireless Diagnostic
    Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
    info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
    info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info Ethernet connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established 
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    See what's new at