Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Grief with backslash/installing 98 - dos  (Read 3948 times)

zootog

Grief with backslash/installing 98 - dos
« on: November 30, 2004, 07:30:32 PM »
Hello all

Just adopted an old Gateway 2100 laptop, with a swappable drive - so a bit of dos'ing is required to install 98. Problem is I don't seem to have a backslash that works properly. Control squggily bracket appears to insert backslash - but the cursor moves to the next line as if i'd hit enter?

Found some info on changing reg keys - but I've already formatted the laptop? Can I still do this in dos - if so how?

read somewhere else I need to save the content of my start up disc onto the hard drive - how do I do that?

Soooo......  sorry to fire so many questions - if anybody can help with any part of my "challenge" I would be grateful - the end goal is to get windows 98 on the machine - with the minimum of fuss and heartache

Thanks Zootog

Thank you in advance

MalikTous

Re: Grief with backslash/installing 98 - dos
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 05:44:48 AM »
If you can set your BIOS to boot from the CDROM, an original Win98SE CD (or image copy of one) is bootable.

If not, boot from a Win98SE floppy, manually FDISK and FORMAT the hard drive so the partitions are the way you want them, and install a bootable DOS 7 layout in the primary boot partition with a working CDROM driver:

config.sys
device=c:\dos\himem.sys
dos=high,umb
device=c:\dos\emm386.exe noems
devicehigh=c:\dos\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001

autoexec.bat
@echo off
lh c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /m:12

Copy the OAKCDROM.SYS, EMM386.EXE, and HIMEM.SYS from the floppy, and MSCDEX.EXE from the RAM drive the floppy puts up, to the temporary DOS directory on the hard drive. (If you can't find EMM386.EXE, leave off the third line in CONFIG.SYS, the 'high' in 'devicehigh' in the fourth, and the 'lh' in the second AUTOEXEC.BAT line.)

Reboot to the hard drive with the CDROM drive installed, and you should be able to select the CDROM and run SETUP.EXE in the root directory.

If the backslash key is shot, try holding the ALT key down and typing 092 or 0092 on the number pad (you may need to use NumLock or Fn to access the 'embedded numpad' feature for this).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 05:49:17 AM by MalikTous »

merlin_2

Re: Grief with backslash/installing 98 - dos
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 05:16:16 PM »
Are we in it  moving backwards to to the days of win3.1 or what... go into the bios del key on select the boot option to boot from<boring.> cdrom save  and exit.....if yu need a boot floppy disk <of which wil nul and void soon>www.bootdisk.com and chose<boring> the one that come with cdrom drivers)

bat files@$?/% will soon begone......good what  waste of time........!!!!!¬```¬