Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing ISP - advice please  (Read 3372 times)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Changing ISP - advice please
    « on: September 22, 2007, 06:05:44 PM »
    I am thinking of changing my ISP.  I have been with AOL for the last couple of years, and while they have been adequate for me, I am aware that they are way down the list in terms of service and speed in most comparative assessments.

I should say first off that I am in the UK.

At the moment I have AOL's Silver Service (up to 2 Mbps), and I think I would be better served by Zen Internet - they offer 8 Mbps for the same price and have recommendations from some reliable sources.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I'm not sure what happens to my email if I change.  I presume that I'll need a new email address - would I still be able to access old mail?

Thanks.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Changing ISP - advice please
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:01:39 AM »
    Well, with many ISPs, you would lose your email service if you switch to another ISP.  I don't know much about AOL, but I found this info, which may pertain to you: http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/email.adp 

Does this mean you could continue using your existing AOL email address?  I don't know for sure. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 10:06:07 AM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
      Thanks for replies and links.

The AOL link certainly seems to offer continued use of an AOL email address and  access.

There is also at the moment an offer from them of an upgrade to 8 Mbps for the same price - but that's with an 18 month contract.

Something to think about...

Thanks again.