Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard disk after booting....  (Read 2102 times)

cest

hard disk after booting....
« on: September 24, 2007, 04:48:49 PM »
I have Windows Xp and I have made a boot disk on a floppy. When I start the computer with the floppy in, after finished the booting sequence, if I type from the prompt "C:" it says "invalid device name"... how is it possible?  thanx

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: hard disk after booting....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

Need details of the bootdisk you have created.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

cest

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:09:48 PM »
I have made a bootdisk with Windows Xp file manager: by rigth clicking on floppy disk, choosing format and then MS-DOS booting disk....

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:25:18 PM »
The bootdisk you have created will work for MS-Dos only.   Your hard drive is probably formatted with the NT file system (NTFS) which MS-Dos cannot recognise therefore gives you the error message.   If your hard drive was formatted FAT32 then your bootdisk would recognise it.  It's often been a puzzle why Format in XP gives the option to create an MS-Dos boot disk.

You can check your file system by opening My Computer and right click on your hdd then Properties.   The file system will be displayed in the General tab.

But all is not lost.   If you want to access NTFS from a boot floppy one option is to create a boot floppy using NTFS4DOS which is freely available from here.

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.