Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Booted from games, even emulators  (Read 37959 times)

Jess607

Hopeful

Re: Booted from games, even emulators
    « Reply #90 on: September 29, 2007, 07:29:25 AM »
    The phone line is plugged into the comp. Jess, are you having sympathy pains? Thanks. Well, what does it mean that I didn't get error messages. But really, when the screen freezes nothing works so I suppose I wouldn't expect a report.

I used to get AOL ERROR (AC 1200), (AC 3000); (AC 1502). I also got ERROR:42-IVCF, and ERROR:23- UVRI. I got "The System has recovered from a serious error.

Okay, I was trying to recall all of my basic complaints when my dino began having problems. I think the major one was I couldn't get my AOL info to click over to my screen name after I uninstalled AOL 9.0 Optimized, and Installed 9.0VR. Nothing anyone did helped and I got really ticked. I think I wasn't able to click on my "Existing Member" name until after I had the validation of Windows. I had to backdoor the "GUEST" name to get online with AOL. But also this happened, I never install or uninstall without a Tech, first of all. And, I was told to never uninstall AOL unless you have a copy online. You can uninstall it after the new installation. But one tech totally uninstalled aol before he installed the new copy. I just can't recall if that was before or after the validation.

Q: Is there a way to peek into the recycle bin?

Also, I know I'm putting a lot out there but you never know what might be helpful. I'm trying to help my cause.

Sure I'm having sympathy pains. This whole computer is one big pain if I'm not sitting infront of it.

I think the thing that I'm not able to understand mainly is what changed between the time when the computer did work well, and the time when it randomly froze and then blacked out.

Could you un-install AOL?

You mean to see what is inside the recycle bin? Just double-click on it to bring up the explorer windows.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Don't feel bad...I'm lost too.
      « Reply #91 on: September 29, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »
      I think the thing that I'm not able to understand mainly is what changed between the time when the computer did work well, and the time when it randomly froze and then blacked out.

Same here. I know that whatever happened happened after Windows was validated. I know because I wasn't having the black screen or BIOS page problem until after that. When WIndows was activated, 76 updates came in at one setting. Of course with a WGA on your comp Windows doesn't update. I had intentions of ignoring this thing forever, but my local repairmen said, That was my biggest problem. It might be causing the freezing in Pogo.Com. However, at the time Pogo.Com had problems with their games and members weren't aware. Even now they're having problems.  But the freezing wasn't sending me to balck or BIOS. I got the black screen twice one night while using AIM. But when it threw me off the emulator. I was stunned. So with that and the connectivity errors from AOL they advised a reformat fearing a virus. But that reulted in the same issues, and they continue now.

Could you un-install AOL?

I know how to uninstall AOL. Are you asking me to do that? Why? I haven't unchecked the 3 items in "Start Up" yet. I'm being overrun with tasks that I have no idea why I'm doing them. I just need clarity.

Are you guys aware of "Belarc Advisor" a system tool for gathering your system's information? Do you think it would help you, if I loaded that and did the scan?

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

BTW, how do I keep the 2nd page of the BIOS up long enough to read it all? Again, I'm sorry to inflict my ineptitude for computers on you guys but at least I'm asking questions and taking in what you're telling me. :) In other words, I appreciate you.
      If you say, "I can", you're right. If you say, "I can't", you're also right.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #92 on: September 29, 2007, 10:23:12 AM »
      Belarc Advisor will tell you what all the internal components in your machine are...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #93 on: September 29, 2007, 10:27:44 AM »
        Okay, but is it something that will give you guys needed info?

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #94 on: September 30, 2007, 09:46:58 AM »
          Yikes! I finally got to see an error report during a freezing. Here it is:

Windows display drivers stopped responding

The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally. Save work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to [upload data about this failure to Microsoft.]

The bracketed part didn't happen. Okay, so the screen wen to white this time. Not that there was a white screen rather than black but that everything was shown in whte with black fonts. Then it was grey after closing down the error window, then the next screen was teal (my desk top).

Also yesterday I managed to copy down info from my BIOS pages.  If you think it might help I'll post it.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Computer Hope
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #95 on: September 30, 2007, 03:21:54 PM »
          Looks like you may have video related issues. I did a search on ati2dvag and came up with the below post. It's possible that many of your problems could stem from a video driver related issue.

http://www.modernstreet.com/general/ati2dvag-problem/
          Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
          -Albert Einstein

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #96 on: September 30, 2007, 05:02:13 PM »
            This is sooo depressing. >:( A virus.  I told a few Techs that the way the black screens seem to go from not just games but to offline games, my AIM, when I was just posting even, that it seemed to be something spreading across my machine.

Thanks for the leg work Admin Hope.

BTW, Admin Hope...maybe you guys should sticky that link and advise people to consider that as the possible source of their problems if they have ATI.

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2007, 08:01:26 PM »
              So after all it was just a Driver problem?
              Yes.. I suppose that would explain it, as the answer would have to be software-related.
              So when in Safe Mode, somehow the Virus/Issue didn't come up.

Casse,
              Re-install the drivers for the ATI card - or tell me which card it is (using the Barlec Advisor) and I will find them for you. And then we will see if this persists.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                « Reply #98 on: October 01, 2007, 12:01:07 AM »
                I hear ya Jess. I'll get back with you later. Right now I'm thinking, what about the modem. Is that still a viable cause as well? Should they both be investigated?

Well, the tech unistalled and reinstalled the driver, but no dice. Still freezes and goes black.

I went into the system devices as recommended in the link from Hope Admins, I was looking for the PCI STANDARD PCI-to-PCI BRIDGE,]/b]
                but I didn't find that exact listing.  This is what I did find:

PCI bus

******** CPU to CPI BRIDGE

***PCI to ISA BRIDGE

********PCI to AGP CONTROLLERS

The (*) represent numbers and letters that if needed will be furnished. Is one of these the equivalent to the PCI STANDARD PCI-to-PCIBRIDGE?

Thanks everyone.
                « Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:10:13 PM by casse2go »

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2007, 12:41:39 AM »
                  The PCI Standard PCI to PCI bridge is located under "System Devices".

The modem is probably fine. This is a software issue.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                    « Reply #100 on: October 02, 2007, 09:06:53 AM »
                    Yeah jess, I know. Those are what I found in SD. It was stated in the article from Admin Hope that not all machines will list the device as CPI STANDARD CPI-TO-CPI BRIDGE. To know what the listing is, ask the manufacturer.