Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: friend's laptop  (Read 2700 times)

im1cardfan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

friend's laptop
    « on: March 23, 2008, 07:17:15 AM »
    My wife is in nursing school and one of her friends bought a used laptop (Toshiba) and was having problems getting on the net. So, she asked my wife if I would look at it for her. I am relatively new to this networking, right now. It is to be my degree, but I have not took any networking classes yet.

I bought a Linksys wireless router about a yr ago and after some  help from Linksys finally got it up and going. My main PC where the router is at is an HP a1710n running VISTA, my other 2 pcs in the house are a desktop in my son's room and my laptop, both running XP. My wife's friend Diane's laptop is a Toshiba running XP. It has a Linksys wireless card (VER #3) that came with it. I tried the USB fd that has the network setup on it like I had to on my 2 PCs. But when I run it on Dianes, it has an error #678. I tried re-entering the IP address in the prompt window, and it says it can't do this unless it is connected. I have tried everything that I know with no luck. What am I missing?

im1cardfan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: friend's laptop
      « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:20:22 AM »
      I forgot to say that on the taskbar, it is showing my network with excellent signal. But will not connect to the net.

viking

Adviser
      • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
        « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »
        Her laptop has wireless started?
        It sees your wireless network?
        Did you do any special settings, like disabling broadcast SSID? (I don't understand if her computer connects to your wireless network).

im1cardfan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 03:37:36 PM »
          yeah, her laptop shows that it is receiving the network signal on the taskbar. I dont know SSID?