Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it possible to port forward without a router?  (Read 3432 times)

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Is it possible to port forward without a router?
    « on: October 17, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
    Hi everyone,

Is it possible to port forward without a router? Everyone is saying I can't. Is there any such way I can port forward without a router? I know I tried the following IP into my browser but it doesn't do anything. 192.168.1.1

I thought maybe I can try to access the web Interface and port forward?

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Is it possible to port forward without a router?
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 06:09:22 PM »
    The Web Interface you are referring to is the Web Interface of a router.  You cannot port forward without one.  However, you can tell your firewall to open up certain ports for use, which is pretty much the same thing.
    Back In The Game

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:56:30 PM »
    However, you can tell your firewall to open up certain ports for use, which is pretty much the same thing.

...but it's very dangerous thing to do. A firewall protects a computer fully, only when your computer is invisible to the outside world (ports are invisible), and all ports are closed.
     It's different when you have router + software firewall combo. When you open a port using router, your software firewall still protects you.

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 05:08:17 PM »
    However, you can tell your firewall to open up certain ports for use, which is pretty much the same thing.

...but it's very dangerous thing to do. A firewall protects a computer fully, only when your computer is invisible to the outside world (ports are invisible), and all ports are closed.
     It's different when you have router + software firewall combo. When you open a port using router, your software firewall still protects you.

^^^ True story.
    Back In The Game