Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virtual Private Network and Residential Gateway  (Read 2791 times)

Archquark

Virtual Private Network and Residential Gateway
« on: October 20, 2007, 08:08:04 AM »
Is it possible to use two computers connected to a DSL line through a residential gateway when one is using a company VPN and the other is connected to the general internet? Does this require two DSL connections with separate gateways to access both the VPN and internet. I am getting conflicting answers on another board.

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Virtual Private Network and Residential Gateway
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 08:57:41 AM »
    I'm not quite sure I understand your question but here goes.

If you're asking if it is possible to share a DSL connection between two computers using a router (aka residential gateway) then yes that should be possible. It shouldn't really matter what the computers are going to connect to.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Archquark

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 10:03:27 AM »
    Deerpark,
     My neighbor was told by his company's IT department , only 3 personnel, which he says do not have a lot of experience, that he could only access their site through a VPN and his wife could not be browsing the internet on her computer. I beleive as long as he does not enable file and printer sharing and continues to use a residential gateway and each of the computers has its own firewall setup that they should not have a problem comprimising the company site. I do not however have any formal training but only what I have picked up in setting up several of my own personal internet connections. Both your answer and the answer from another board appear to confirm what I beleive is possible. Hope this clears what I was trying to say in the last post. 

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »
      Ahh yes that explanation makes you neighbor's issue a lot clearer. And I stick with my previous answer. Since the whole point of a VPN is to create a secure network on top of an existing insecure network I can't see how two computers on the network could cause a problem.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)