Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cannot write to hard disk partition  (Read 6739 times)

askaterina

cannot write to hard disk partition
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:59:45 AM »
Hello everyone,
I am currently using Linux Feisty Fawn, and I want to ask a question. I have a partition which I want to use to save important files,etc. I can write to this partition only if I login as root. Can I change somehow the write permissions so that I won't have to login and execute everything from the shell every time I want to save or edit something there? I formatted the partition to fat32 file system.
Thank you.

phoenix910

Hopeful

Re: cannot write to hard disk partition
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:46:42 PM »
    Fat32 partitions are not compatible by default with Ubuntu (except for the new one, Gutsy Gibbon or 7.10 - this can write to all Windows file systems). If you just want it to put files on, format it to and ext-3 file system. If this doesn't help, login as root and in the terminal change directory to the mount point for your hard drive, and change the permissions using
    chmod 777 /mnt/hda1    (or whatever your drive is, and 777 makes it accessible to everybody, so change the numbers according to what you want - they are octal)

-Stephen