Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AUDIO INTERRUPTIONS  (Read 2605 times)

yossi123

Topic Starter

Rookie

AUDIO INTERRUPTIONS
    « on: November 21, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »

(This is a replacement of my previous related post of this morning in this forum  and after doing some description and language related changes and corrections that happened due to been in a hurry and for the first time using this site complicated site that consumed much time to study it.. So I apologize if someone will have to read this question again and sorry if my English is not perfect).

THE PROBLEMS

For over three months I suffer repeated interruptions at any time of the day almost on a hourly basis and sometimes for seconds, minutes or hours that starts while listening to the Israeli National Radio station www.iba.org.il/media  broadcasting  among others news every 30 minutes.

Usually I run this station using my DSL service and in more than one computer at the same time. These  interruptions when happens, hits all the computers at the same time although within  few seconds or maximum a minute between each of them.  There is no difference in the interruptions whether one or 5 computers are connected at the same time to this station, whether one is connected direct to the DSL modem running alone, or when the others are connected through router or routers on the way. Whether connected through the website of that station or through Windows Media Player or both at the same time, Whether using  old or newest version of operating system,  computers low or very high in memory and the same with the speed, the interruptions are the same.

THE TYPE OF INTERRUPTIONS
    The interruptions are different and  I will describe them as follows:

Type 1. They are momentary and some times for fractions of seconds. (in this cases, part of the words are cut).   More often the broadcast stop completely for a minute or so and these usually happens during the first minutes of the news.  I am sure that in this cases, the more the news are important they attracts more audience and therefore the load on the station increase during these minutes and that should explain these type of interruptions. Usually these interruptions resume automatically after a minute or two. 

The same type of interruptions also occurs but not so often when I work on another computer nearby that don’t run that station and I click at the same time on any link or even a program on that computer. The station in the other computer suddenly stop the reception and the broadcast resume within less than a minute.

Type B.  Is when the interruptions occurs at any time during the day and don’t resume automatically, the buffering get stuck somewhere in the middle without moving forward.  Usually in these cases I try to restart the program again but also usually it stop loading at the same percentage wgere it stopped earlier and resume much later. 

Type C.  These interruptions shows a box with networking error that advise to contact the network provider for assistance.  In these cases, only restarting the program solve the problem but usually not for the day but for good for minutes or hours only.  This type of interruptions I temporarily solve it by disabling all my startup programs.  Note that disabling my CA  Firewall, the anti virus and later the anti spy ware options and even the total removal of the program did not helped in any of these types.

Until this day, not my repeated contact to my DSL provider, nor the media tech support provider could not solve the problem.  They both insists that that the same problems are not from their site but mine, although I disagree with that. 

Note:  I am not using these computers together as a network system, but each independent from the others.

By the way before these problems started, I had for many months the station work without any problem on all my computers running this station 24 hours a day at the same time. Before that I had more than once certain interruptions but always when was contacting the same media tech support, the problems were solved within minutes or hour maximum. This time is unique and I don’t  know what else I can do and this station is very important for me and don’t have any alternative.

THE QUESTION

Is anyone in there in your system can help to figure out how to solve these problems. If so, please try to do so and hope in exchange one day I will be able to solve one or more of your problems and thank you in advance for that.

Sincerely,
    Joe

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: AUDIO INTERRUPTIONS
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:12:37 PM »
    You have 5 differerent computers simontaniously connected to the internet through a network to one DSL box?
    That is your problem right there. Its very possible, that when you share all that internet, you dont have enough left over (enough bandwidth) for the computer trying to stream audio.

How fast is your DSL?

If this isnt the problem, we will troubleshoot further

Other possible causes:
    Bad connection (check your network itself)
    Router speed (tell us the speed of your router)
    Maitenence on your DSL lines (this isnt likely, but possible)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

yossi123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »
      Answer to the reply of Zylstra one by one

"You have 5 differerent computers simontaniously connected to the internet through a network to one DSL box?
      That is your problem right there. Its very possible, that when you share all that internet, you dont have enough left over (enough bandwidth) for the computer trying to stream audio".

First thank you for your quick reply and effort to solve the problem and here are my responses to your answer and questions one by one.

Response 1
      The same thought about the answer was provided to me by the tech support of that station, so as a result, for the last three weeks I am running only four computers instead of 5 and only two of them are connected to the subject station but the result remain the same, except that I have to deal only with these two computer to reconnect that station again or wait untill it reloads again without these news.  So I miss part of thees news.  In the other hand, when I was running simultaneously the same station in 5 computers, then until the last one topped, I still had the chance thanks to the delays between each disconnection or temporarily stop, the interruption in the first may have resumed and I am back with the news.  (not all times this goes do fast but still benefitable somehow. 

How fast is your DSL?
      Response 2
      About 1250 kbps Dn with 325 kbps Up

If this isnt the problem, we will troubleshoot further

Other possible causes:

Bad connection (check your network itself)

Response 3
      I mentioned in my question that I don’t use my computers as a network but each independently.  If you meant the connecting cables, all the connections were checked more than once and each Ethernet cable between the modem and the routers and between the routers and the computers were changed to newer ones has good connection. but the two computer that run that station 24 hours a day are connected directly to the modem and the rest through the routers without connection to the station.

The only thing that was not checked lately is my telephone line for the modem, but this was checked 5 months ago and was fixed after complaining about hearing some noises on the line.  Now I don’t hear any noises, so I have no reason to suspect or report of any problem with that line for now.

Router speed (tell us the speed of your router)

Response 4
      One of them is 2.4 Ghz Dlink wireless but I use it with cables only.
      Two others no indication of their speed one is small and one an old type but all used them when I had no the recent audio problems.

Maitenence on your DSL lines (this isnt likely, but possible)

Response 5
      I think I answered this issue above hopefully to your satisfaction, if not please let me know.

However, I am adding some other ideas.
      One of my suspicions that I can think of, is that my old modem that was working well for many years was replaced 3-4 months ago with a newer model (by my request).  Perhaps the newer one is less powerful than the old one and therefore it cannot provide the same bandwidth that the old one, but again, since I am the only one who use these computers and, for these last three weeks only two computers are connected to that station and the rest I use only when I am near these  computers and the rest of the time they remains inactive and perhaps not connected the internet.  After my previous experience in the past with more activity and more connections to that station simultaneously when everything was fine, I suspect that still we are not yet in the right direction to find right answer and need more search.

Meanwhile please read my third related question posted just now in the same forum  under the subject,  SOUND CARD QUESTION where the proper answer may solve some how the problem momentarily until a complete solution might be found.
      Thanks again
      Joe

« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 06:17:54 PM by yossi123 »

yossi123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 11:23:01 PM »
        I think the problem is solved.  I found that from my DSL modem I connected by error a cable to a router and from there to a third router because I need two computers in every room or office where each router is located.

Now I corrected the problem by connecting each port of the modem direct to only one router and this appears to have solved the problem and be connected with 5 computers simultaneously and running that station from allof them without interruptions.

As a matter of fact, I would prefer to have a modem router with 6 ports instead of 4 that I have now and then run cables to each computer directly without additional routers but I don't know where I can find one of those if any.

Anyway thanks to your help I did this intense works to find my error.

So I will leave this topic active for several more days. Perhaps someone can benefit from this experience.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:27:18 PM by yossi123 »