Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Web Address Redirect  (Read 3177 times)

malajuliana

Web Address Redirect
« on: November 23, 2007, 09:50:22 PM »
I am not a computer expert and I thought someone here could help me.  My old evil roommate got into my DOS screen and redirected several websites I frequently visited to Google.  When I returned home my DOS screen was open with a bunch of stuff I did not understand but I did see the website addresses that were affected. For example when I put "www.myspace.com" in the address bar the Google website is on the screen.  The address in the address bar does not change.

I am never able to access myspace unless I enter "home.myspace.com".  However for the various others she changed, I am not able to do the same thing and have no access to these sites from my computer.

Please someone tell me how to fix this.  I would really appreciate it.

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
Re: Web Address Redirect
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 06:03:41 AM »
This is a long shot, but check your HOSTS file. Normally the HOSTS file is used to redirect dodgy web site names back to the local computer; in effect not allowing the user to view the site. Perhaps your "evil roommate" redirected www.myspace.com to Google's IP address (72.14.205.147).

On an XP machine the HOSTS file has no extension and can be found in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc directory.

Like I said, it's a longshot, but hey, you never know. 8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein