Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Temporary Internet Files  (Read 6461 times)

20delta

Temporary Internet Files
« on: December 08, 2007, 12:09:29 PM »
Is there any way to locate the temporary internet files the system created when you save a document.  I need find a file that was created when I saved an email attachment.  I know it was saved in "C:\.....Temporay Internet\.... - but I cannot find this file.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Temporary Internet Files
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:29:02 PM »
Just to be sure you understand, Temporay Internet Files is not a good place to save an email attachment if it's something you really want to keep.  Temporay Internet Files get deleted if your clear your browser cache, run Windows Disk Cleanup, or run some other disk cleanup utility such as CCleaner.  And, even if you don't manually activate a cleanup procedure, files may be automatically removed from Temporay Internet Files when they exceed a set amount of hard drive space.

Have you used Windows Search to search for the file? 

20delta

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »
Thanks for the great device and this is not something that I would normally do.  Presenter was using system to show presentaton and stated that they saved the document; however, I know they only clicked saved which sent valuable file to temporary internet file location.  I am in the processing of doing a full search to include hidden files as well.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 01:20:15 PM »
Are you sure it would have been saved in temporary Internet files (TIF)?  I use Outlook Express for most of my email.  Right now, if I open a message with an attachment and elect to save the attachment by clicking the paper clip icon at the right end of the message header in the preview pane and selecting "Save Attachments...", the location that appears there is not where TIF is stored.  It's the same location I specified the last time I saved an attachment. 

If I open the message in a separate panel, the attachment appears in a box above the body of the message.  If I right click on the attachment and select Save As, My Documents appears as the default location. 

So, you may need to include your entire hard drive in your search if you haven't already done so. 

20delta

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 01:25:29 PM »
This is what happened.  A file was sent to revise while doing a presentation via outlook.  I opened the file so all could view it on the screen as I had the projector plugged into my system.  As we were making changes to the document I clinic the save icon several times.  At the end of the presentation I had to walk out of the and they individual stated that the document had been saved.  On the following day, I attempted to bring the document up and to no avail.  Not the one I saved or the one that was saved after me.  My only outcome is that it went to Temporary Internet Files.  Since I cannot find it on my regular directory for stored info, I was hoping that it was there.  However, it is difficult to find the location of the temp files.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 01:48:49 PM »
I believe Temporary Internet Files are normally stored in:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

where user is your username on your computer.