Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 2000  (Read 4852 times)

bret levi

Windows 2000
« on: December 08, 2007, 02:16:50 PM »
I've accidentally installed a fresh copy of Windows 2000 over the top of another. I want to delete one of them because when given the choice of which one to boot, if I don't pick the right one, the computer will not boot up. Any help?

Astoria

Intermediate

Re: Windows 2000
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 02:22:06 PM »
    How does one install Windows on top of another Windows?

Are they on the same HD? or different partitions?

If I were you, I'd back up all my data, and do a format to reinstall Windows

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 07:59:35 PM »
      It's not that hard, if there's an existing copy of Windows it will just install to another location. 

It's been a long time since I used 2000 (actually, it was in the year 2000 I stopped using it.  hehe) but if it's anything like XP, there's a boot manager menu you can delve into.  I don't have a 2000 system running so I can't tell you exactly how to get there.  Open up the control panel, and under System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, there ought to be a section about what operating systems you can boot.  WIth a little digging, you can figure out where each option is, and once you do, you can delete the correct one.  Let me know if you need additional help, I'll do some digging.

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 09:28:14 PM »
      well, lets say like this..you have xp and ME.Now you want to delete the ME OS, boot up as windows xp user, then go the the C:windows (make sure you know which one is xp & ME)than delete the windows ME folder.

A simple example i think.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 07:32:27 AM »
      This takes a bit of finagling to determine which one works...
      First off make a copy of your bootini file and post it here.
      While waiting for that do the following:

Boot to the working version of Win2K
      On the Desktop create a new folder called AAA.
      Re-boot.
      Now open Windows Explorer.
      You will have 2 WiNNT folders.
      Navigate to the first one and go to Documents and Settings/User Name/Desktop...
      If you see the AAA folder listed this is the WiNNT directory you want to keep.
      Navigate to the other one in the left pane of Explorer...for now make a note of whether it's the first or 2nd WiNNT folder or if it is WinNT000 ...write down which it is.  Later we will be renaming this folder but leave it be for now.

Now we know which one to get rid of.

After you post the bootini and it's edited to remove the other install we can then clean out the non working ver.
      « Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 07:48:05 AM by patio »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "