Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trojan Hijacks Google Text Ads  (Read 3500 times)

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Trojan Hijacks Google Text Ads
« on: December 21, 2007, 09:40:18 AM »
From PC Magazine:

Malware authors are beginning to nibble at Google's text advertising money pie.

According to a warning from anti-virus vendor BitDefender, a new Trojan is making the rounds, hijacking Google text advertisements and replacing them with ads from a different provider.

The Trojan.Qhost.WU threat works by modifying the hijacked computer's Hosts file to redirect the initial query to the Google AdSense servers to a malicious host.

Instead of getting advertising content from Google's "page2.googlesyndication.com" domain, the Trojan, discovered Dec. 17, instructs the infected machine to fetch ads from a different, third-party ad server, according to BitDefender virus researcher Attila Balazs.

BitDefender did not identify the rogue third-party ad server.

Balazs said the threat is a worry for Webmasters and end users.

"Users are affected because the advertisements and/or the linked sites may contain malicious code, which is a very likely situation, given that they are promoted using malware in the first place. Webmasters are affected because the Trojan takes away viewers and thus a possible money source from their websites," he said in a statement.

Over the past year, malicious hackers have turned their attention to ad networks as vehicles for drive-by malware downloads.

In November, security researchers found DoubleClick serving up massive amounts of ads for bogus anti-spyware programs in place of legitimate advertising. Before that, advertisements served by RealNetworks' RealPlayer were also used to exploit a zero-day software vulnerability.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Trojan Hijacks Google Text Ads
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 11:30:29 AM »
From what i've read this exploit only will run on XP machines without SP2 and all current updates.
Anyone doing that is foolish to say the least...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:56:49 AM »
    Once I agreed to format and reinstall XP for a friend. He had an ancient XP disc without any of the service packs slipstream to it. I failed to realize that his computer was connected directly to the internet without a router to act as a firewall in between. Before the XP desktop had finished loading for the first time after the reinstall, the computer had already been infected by 2 or 3 worms.
    I learned a couple of things that day...
    Always have a router handy when doing a reinstall.
    And updating an XP installation without any service packs slipstreamed takes forever.

So yes letting a computer loose on the internet that's anything less than fully updated is just dumb. And a hardware firewall never hurts either.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 12:29:11 AM »
    I had a similar situation when fixing my Grandma's machine. Restored XP to realize she was on a modem. Downloading all the XP updates on a modem is not fun.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein