Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to get input without a submit button??  (Read 3079 times)

trying but not flying

how to get input without a submit button??
« on: December 21, 2007, 10:49:24 PM »
Hi,

I am pretty much a newbie and haven't even really tested my wings let alone figured out how to flap both at the same time but I seem to have tackled a pretty big project so I am working at it. 

I am creating a web based plant key and I am currently working on the glossary part of it.
In most online glossaries I have looked at you can either scroll through all the entries or there is an alphabet at the top that takes you to the begining of the entries starting with any given letter.  Some also have a search function.  What I would like to do is have the user be able to type in an input box and the computer sort of zoom in on the word.  So if I type an "A" it would skip to the begining of the A section and as I continued typing it would keep jumping to show the words that started with say "ABA".  I want this zoom in function to occur as soon as the user starts typing so there is no submit button.  The help sections in software like dreamweaver and microsoft products have this feature.  I don't really know what the proper name of it is so I haven't been able to find it on the web.

I can only assume that there must be an autosubmit script that continually submits the typed letters and causes the jumps to an anchor in the page/glossary to create the zoom in effect. 
Where might I find an example of the html to make this happen? 
What is the proper name for this so I can learn more about it?
How does it work?  Is it an autosubmition thing??
If I can do this will it slow down the load time on my page a lot?  Maybe that is why I haven't encountered it much on the web??
Will I have cross browser compatability issues with implementing this?

Thanks so much for your patience & time.

Kate

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: how to get input without a submit button??
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 10:37:40 AM »
tie a javascript to the input field that utilizes the onkeypress event to begin searching.