Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: raided hds, new motherboard, windows won't load  (Read 2563 times)

potato

raided hds, new motherboard, windows won't load
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »
Hi all,
My past motherboard died so I replaced it. I previously had a raid 5 array and now have that hooked up to the new motherboard. At startup, the computer recognizes the array and labels it as healthy. Yet when the computer tries to load up Windows, the Windows startup screen flashes for less than a second, and the computer restarts. Someone said that the problem may be that Windows does not have the drivers of this motherboard installed. Does it sound like that is the problem? And if so, does anyone know how I can install those drivers even though Windows can't load up?

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: raided hds, new motherboard, windows won't load
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:31:40 PM »
    When you do a major hardware change like installing a new motherboard you should always reinstall Windows. Windows doesn't like hardware changes and as you've now found out it can become unstable or unable to load properly.
    Furthermore newer versions like XP utilizes copy protection based on hardware IDs.

So my advice to you would be to get out you windows install disc.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »
    Everyone needs a Windows CD sooner or later.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:05:22 PM »
      Windows is tring to find your old mother board cause that is how it was setup you have to format it and install windows with that motherboard.  When its loading it sees if there are any changes.  It also means that you need to activate windows again.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

potato

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »
      So if I were to reinstall windows, would it know to stripe the data between all 3 harddrives? Or would I end up making a new raid array and losing my data?