Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need help  (Read 3418 times)

need help
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:25:01 PM »
dont know if this is the right forum but idk where else to put it

yesterday my comp was running slow so i restarted it and then while restarting it came up with the page saying some kind of error occured and shows all the possible options (start normal, last good config, safe mode,etc.) no matter which on you choose it tries to restart and just comes up with the same page

i asked someone what id have to do to fix it and he said restore the comp.....before i do, is there anyway i can hook that hard drive up to my other comp and get some important files and music off of that hd?

been Reading on the internet and most people suggest to buy a external closure for it....but im kinda short on cash

i was also wondering....the comp that messed up is a toshiba satellite a15-s129 and the comp im using right now is a satellite a105-s101....there any chance i could just swap hds and transfer it little by little using my 4g flash drive to my sister computer? all three of these comps are running win. xp with service pack 2

any ideas welcome

RatPack

Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 01:26:21 AM »
The hard drive seems to be a standard 2-1/2 inch ide which could be plugged up as a slave in a pc using a laptop to ide adapter (very cheap) shown in the attachment.

Is your sister's machine a laptop or desktop?  If it's a laptop do you have access to a compatible desktop?

FYI the dis-assembly instructions for your notebook are here.

Good luck & welcome to the CH forums.

[saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:04:51 AM »
Also, if you're not comfortable or able to put the hard drive physically in another computer, there are USB drive adapters. Personally, I think they're a lot easier to mess with, especially for a temporary connection for transferring files. All you have to do is hook up the drive to the adapter and plug it into a USB port and you're good to go.

[saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 06:23:56 AM »
The power coming from a USB port can sometimes be flaky that's why i don't trust it when it comes to data retrieval....sometimes you only get one shot at it.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 06:28:42 AM »
Adaptors like this don't draw on power from the USB, they have external power. We've been using them here in the shop for this very thing for quite a long time and have never had a problem with one.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:03:53 PM »
took hd out of both the toshibas and the hds have diff. connections

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 10:43:37 AM »
You need an adapter...it's called a 2.5" to IDE connector.
Click on the picture in ratpacks post above
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "