Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphical Terminal Emulator- SSH, Telnet  (Read 6217 times)

akil

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Graphical Terminal Emulator- SSH, Telnet
    « on: January 04, 2008, 09:27:54 AM »
    Hai Dears,

I was using PuTTY terminal emulater for accessing Linux system from windows. But PuTTy is a comand line terminal emulater where we cannot see any graphical application. But PuTTY is freely available.

By the way- I need to access the GUI of Linux from windows. Therefore I need any  Graphical Terminal Emulator. anyone knows any free GTE software??

I tried in google but couldn't find  :(

Thanks is in advance

Regrads,
    akil
    ***^^^NoThInG ImPoSSibLe To MaNKinD***^^^

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Graphical Terminal Emulator- SSH, Telnet
      « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:38:42 AM »
      Actually what you want is a Remote Desktop Administration application. A terminal emulator is by nature text based (since the terminals it is emulating was text based). What GUI is the linux machine(s) using? (GNOME, KDE, Xfce, etc).
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

akil

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »
        Thanks Deerpark.

We have two servers one is Linux red hat 9 other one is windows 2003 server. Also we have 15 XP PCs which are the clients of windows 2003..

At this moment what we are doing is from the all 15 XP PCs we are connecting the Linux serer by using PuTTy (Terminal Emulator) at a same time. But PuTTY has command line user interface.

Now What I want is I need to access the LINUX Graphical interface from all the 15 PCs at a same time. I mean the every user should be able to log in the Linux by using their individual account

You mentioned about Remote Desktop Administration application.  can all users access(log in) the PCs in same time from this application ???if it so, please can u give the details of the software?

GUI is GNOME

once again Thanks 4 ur time

Regards
        akil

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 04:50:28 AM by akil »

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:00:23 AM »
          Check out the last post in this thread on another forum.
          http://www.linuxservertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258

(Download the free edition from here to get the vncviewer.)

I don't believe VNC allows more than one user at the same time though. It's not something I've ever had any need for so can't give you much help there.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

akil

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 09:50:03 AM »
            Thanks Deerpark

Yeah the VNC is one kind of Remote Desktop Administration application software where one user can access the Desktop the Meanwhile other useres can only able to see the desktop but they cannot access..

This Real VNC software currently I'm using for Remotely access the client PCs..

But what I'm asking for is,, U know PuTTY rite? Through the putty so many users can log into the Linux server from XP client PCs. But they can only use command line user interface not GUI.. But what I want is Graphical user interface..

Anyway Thanks for you time and Links

Anyone please could give me solution for this.

Kind Regards,
            akil

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 03:03:29 AM »
            VNC can be multi-user (use different ports) but it's insecure.  PuTTY is text-mode only.

What you really want to do is run an X Server on your local PC, connecting to your Linux server to run applications remotely.  Consider Xming or Cygwin/X.
            Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos