Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building a PC out...  (Read 6423 times)

Dave666

Topic Starter

Beginner

Building a PC out...
    « on: January 14, 2008, 11:39:48 PM »
    ..of old parts..CPU-Intel Celeron 1Ghz tualatin,Motherboard-ATX CM 33 TL SKT 37O DFI...I am considering putting on Linux Ubuntu..I am wondering will it work with this PC? And once i have everything hooked up,i just put in the CD and follow instructions,leading to having Ubuntu as my OS??
    I am new to all of this,and i love that Linux is free,is it very good? I only use the PC for surfing the web,online schooling,and music...Will i benefit from using Linux,and if so what benefits?....I have heard it is faster than XP,more stable etc,uses less space etc is all of this true? Do any of you know of any links telling of Ubuntu's benefits over XP??
    Thanks
    « Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:54:23 AM by Dave666 »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Building a PC out...
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:42:06 AM »
    Yes, on all counts.

The biggest drawback is that you won't be able to run Windows-only games on your new machine.  Apart from that, it's just better.  ;)

It's also harder, but post again if you get stuck.

Harder is better: the more you "pay" for something, the more you appreciate it.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:28:00 AM »

Dave666

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 09:08:45 PM »
      Yes, on all counts.

The biggest drawback is that you won't be able to run Windows-only games on your new machine.  Apart from that, it's just better.  ;)

It's also harder, but post again if you get stuck.

Harder is better: the more you "pay" for something, the more you appreciate it.
      ...Thanks Rob:) I will keep everyone posted once i fire up my new PC..Goodbye Billy boy and your world of human cyborgs! lol

Dave666

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 12:46:47 AM »
        Rob i was wondering why you think Ubuntu is better? Is it true it is faster,less error prone,uses less space etc etc? What exactly makes Ubuntu better than say XP?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        « Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:35:05 AM »
        Yes, all of those in many ways.  Biggest drawback with Linux is the lack of support for the very latest peripherals.  As a working environment, it's excellent - more stable than XP in many ways.  Definitely more space efficient, and for more versatile out of the box.

That said, as a professional user I mainly use Linux at the server end, not at the desktop.  Linux servers tend to have so little unnecessary junk installed they can't help but be faster than Windows servers at equivalent tasks.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 10:54:59 AM »
        "Better" is a relative term. If you want the fastest, most secure OS, you could try netbsd (unix, not linux) and it can run on anything (it's even been installed on a toaster). If you want a full desktop system, try opensuse or ubuntu. If you want a basic desktop that is super fast, try puppy linux. It's up to you which one is better.
        My personal favorite is opensuse.

Hendo90

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:51:29 AM »
        Biggest drawback with Linux is the lack of support for the very latest peripherals.
        Ubuntu has WWAAYYYYYYY more support then windows! Check out http://ubuntuforums.org/ and Google any other problems (if any). I am having windows problems-and am struggling to find help. But when i had a little issue with ubuntu-i found help straight away. Its because ubuntu is 'community'. And has more support then windows ever will.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:32:24 AM »
        Biggest drawback with Linux is the lack of support for the very latest peripherals.
        Ubuntu has WWAAYYYYYYY more support then windows! Check out http://ubuntuforums.org/ and Google any other problems (if any). I am having windows problems-and am struggling to find help. But when i had a little issue with ubuntu-i found help straight away. Its because ubuntu is 'community'. And has more support then windows ever will.

okay, what have you been smoking..... and why aren't you sharing? ;D :P
        Windows has infinitely more support than Linux. That's because Microsoft is a billion dollar company and has 500 million more users than Linux. If a list were made of all the windows user forums and all the linux user forums, Windows would be in the lead 25 to 1. And then windows has the corporate website that can answer almost every question asked about any microsoft product. Linux has no such site that can answer everything. linuxquestions.org probably comes the closest, but still way behind.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        « Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 05:49:52 AM »
        Actually, I said:

lack of support for the very latest peripherals.

:P