Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound Problem on newer laptop  (Read 2237 times)

phoenix_rising753

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Sound Problem on newer laptop
    « on: January 18, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »
    So, since about a week ago my laptops external speakers have stopped working. I can hear sound when I have headphones in, but not when they are out.

I've tried a system restore, checked all of my drivers and everything seems to be in working order.

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505
    Core 2 duo
    1 gig ram
    Windows XP Pro.

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

THANKS!!!

Andrew

Panda25

Beginner
      Re: Sound Problem on newer laptop
      « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »
      Have you tried reinstalling your sound drivers?  I had a problem with a desktop system where the speakers sounded muffled and I uninstalled the sound drivers and reinstalled them and now it works great.

phoenix_rising753

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
        I'll have to try that.

A friend of mine said that the speakers might have blown out. How much would they cost to replace with parts and labor? I'm guessing quite a bit since it's a laptop...

Panda25

Beginner
          « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »
          I hope your speakers didn't get blown out, but if they did I don't know how much it would cost to have them replaced.  Is this a fairily new laptop that could possibly be under warranty?

Try my suggestion of reinstalling the sound drivers and go from there.

That's one of the reasons I don't like laptops because it's hard for the everyday person to fix stuff on them.  I have a laptop, but it's one that I got free from work because it is extremely outdated running Windows 98.  If anything like that ever breaks, I'll just keep using it until it completely dies.

Anyway, please keep us updated.

phoenix_rising753

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »
            uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and nothing has changed. still no sound from the external speakers but sound from my headphones...

I'm tempted to take off the case just to see whats going on but i'm not sure I would be able to put it back together right. I'm fairly advanced when it comes to desktops but not sure how that would relate to a laptop.