Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to remove boot menu  (Read 9257 times)

-JQ-

How to remove boot menu
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:37:37 AM »
Hello everyone,

I tried doing a search but none of the results that came up were clickable, don't know whats up with that.  So I apologize if this has been asked already.  A while ago I had trouble with windows not booting.  I went into bootcfg and rebuilt the boot ini which fixed my problem.  But, that wasn't the first thing I tried, and being inexperienced, I played around in there before rebuilding it.  I ended up with a boot menu that has just my one windows install.  Which command do I use to remove this menu?  I have searched the internet and all I seem to find is how to create menus, but not how to remove them. 

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How to remove boot menu
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:09:08 AM »
Quote from: -JQ_
I ended up with a boot menu that has just my one windows install.  Which command do I use to remove this menu?

I'm confused - do you want to delete the Boot.ini file?

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

-JQ-

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:33:52 PM »
No, I just don't want a menu for selecting multiple operating systems.  I am only using one operating system, so I have this pointless menu to select which operating system to boot.  Also, my usb keyboard doesn't function until windows is up, I'm assuming because I have an older motherboard, so I have to wait the 30 seconds for the menu to time out unless I want to hook my old keyboard up just to select the only os on the menu.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 03:20:52 PM »
A USB keyboard won't load til the OS finishes loading...
As to the other query...copy and paste your bootini file so we can see exactly what you're talking about.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Adario

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 07:59:40 AM »
Go to the Control Panel - System - Advanced - Starup and see what can be done :)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 08:39:07 AM »
Run msconfig.  Select the BOOT.INI tab, and change Timeout to 0.  Click Apply, then OK.

-JQ-

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 10:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Patio,

Ya I figured the keyboard wouldn't work until the usb drivers loaded, but I thought maybe newer motherboards would have usb drivers in the bios or something.  It sucks that you have to hook up a ps2 keyboard every time you want to go into bios settings.

Soybean,

It wouldn't let me go lower than three seconds, it would have been less annoying but not exactly a fix.

Adario,

In the control panel systems advanced tab under settings there is an option to edit the startup options file manually.  I went in and deleted the second instance of windows that was causing there to be a menu, thanks.