Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error 0xc0000008 SecActMgrInitialization failed on wife's HP; won't turn on  (Read 40531 times)

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Wife has HP ze4540 laptop.  WinXP.  All updates until about 4 months ago when she last turned it on.  I dug it out today to do updates.  Fire it up, it goes past HP logo, then displays, "Security Accounts Manager Initialization Failed, 'The handle is invalid.'"  Error:  Oxc0000008.  It instructs us to click on OK so it can restart in safe mode.  Clicking on OK merely restarts the same brief wake up as before, with the same error message.  No safe mode at all.

She does very little with this laptop, so it has rarely had much, if any, extra software downloaded.  Runs AVG antivirus.  Uses wireless card.  Ran fine last time.

Any tips as what to do?

Thanks,
    Dennis --- wife pacing floor....

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Thanks, Broni.  That seems to be closely related, but I still can't connect on this.  So far I'm more confused than before.  I think I need more input to get a direction on this. 

Maybe we're gaining.........

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      Did you try any steps listed in my link?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
        Thanks Broni.  I am uncertain how to proceed with your link.  It seems to specifically deal with error, "0xc0000001," not the 0xc0000008 that we are facing.  The error window that comes up for us also says to click on OK and it will reboot into safe mode.  Of course that does not happen at all.  Clicking on OK seems to run the machine through a quick shut-down/restart, but right back to the same error message.  An endless circle.  And to shut the laptop off I have to do a hard shut down by holding the power key on for a few seconds. 

It does not seem to want to go into safe mode at all.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        Does this laptop has any backup?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
          Backup:  quick answer, No.  Wife got it 2 or 3 years ago and has used it very little.  She figured she needed it for work and it turned out she didn't.  Her investment I guess.  I get it out once in a while recharge everything, update virus protection and MS updates, etc.  I clean up anything she doesn't need.   There was never any disk burned for any backup.  She also does not have anything much on it that needs to be saved.  I have my own laptop which is all I need.  Now she thinks she better have it available again. 

If this thing was taken down to ground zero, then put back together, she'd hardly know the difference.  It would be nice to load it without all the MS, HP and, "try me free," software teasers that commercial units come with too.

I've never reloaded Windows into anything before. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          Sounds good.
          Do you have Windows XP CD, or Recovery CD for that laptop?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
            Sorry to be slow.  Wife just found the, "stuff," that goes with her laptop.  In these things she gave me:

A plastic bag with a folder in it that, through the unopened bag, reads:  "system recovery."  Looks like 3 disks.

Operating system CD, blue HP-blue labled copy of XP home SP1

Looks like 3 disks marked, "hp quickrestore, system recovery CD."

I take it this is a good beginning. 

I've never loaded, or re-loaded an operating system into any computer. 

If one re-loades an operating system, does any misc. info, (i.e. emails, Word docs, etc.),  remain alive on the hard drive?

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            If one re-loades an operating system, does any misc. info, (i.e. emails, Word docs, etc.),  remain alive on the hard drive?
            It depends on method used, but you said:
            She also does not have anything much on it that needs to be saved
            If we can wipe it clean, that's the better way to go.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
              Re: Error 0xc0000008 SecActMgrInitialization failed on wife's HP; won't turn on
              « Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:26:37 AM »
              Thanks.

I just asked.  She said there is nothing on her laptop she needs to retain.

So it's a free run to start over fresh.  And it would be a new experience for me to try that. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 09:07:33 AM »
              The best way will be to use HP System Recovery disks. It'll return your laptop to the original state, like it came straight from the store.
              Pop in 1st CD, restart computer.
              Watch the screen. At some point, it'll say "Press any key to boot from CD".
              Press any key, and restoration process should begin.
              Just follow on-screen instruction.
              It's that simple.
              Feel free to ask any question, if any problem arises.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »
              MAKE SURE the Wife understands everything will be gone...
              Most common screams after this is done are "What did you do ? ? "
              Where are all my e-mails ? ?
              My address book is gone ! !
              I can't logon to gmail i don't have my password ! !

Etc. etc. etc.

Just be sure before you proceed...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 10:11:34 AM »
              Yeah, patio knows. His wife almost divorced him, after he did it to her computer....LOL

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »
                Back again.  Thank you;   the 4 HP recovery disks worked perfectly.  Her laptop is alive once again, and I'm back to the beginning.  Now to load MS SP2, etc., etc.  But first, I have to remember how to configure the laptop to recognize my D-Link 524 router so I can go on line and download.  Router is running 2 other computers in the house, wireless.  I need to see if I had to use a D-Link disk software originally or not.  Once I remember where to plug in the info, I can compare to this working desktop for addresses, etc.

Tomorrow's another day.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 08:58:21 AM »
                I'm glad, you're back in  business, and what's even more important, your wife is happy :)
                If everything went well, the laptop should recognize connection by itself.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »
                  First:  thank you for your help.  Regarding computers, I have always tried to download or install as >little< software as humanly possible;  embracing only what I really, really need.  I dislike memory-consuming junk.  Next, I de-frag and clean up on a regular basis.  I use AVG anti-virus, (after getting really mad at Norton), and Ad-Aware, although Ad-Aware won't update now after I added Spy-Bot. 

Your encouragement was important.  I guess I have a high degree of reluctance to dive into these things, always worrying that I'll mess up the whole thing.

No, her laptop will NOT automatically recognize my router.  I don't know why it doesn't.  I tried to enter LAN info to send it the right direction, but that didn't work.  I guess having the laptop back is the most important thing.

Again, thanks, you got me through it.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »
                  You're welcome ;D
                  As for Internet, try this.
                  Turn all computers connected to the router off.
                  Disconnect modem, and router from power source. Wait 1 minute.
                  Re-power them. Restart computer(s), and see, if it helps.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                    « Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 11:59:23 AM »
                    Thanks.  But that did not work either.  After laptop fires up, first pop-up message in lower right corner is, of course, the auto-update alert to get updates.  No other flags or pop-up messages.  I've used laptops on the road in motels that, when turned on, pop up a window that basicly says, "hey, I found a wireless network!-'wanta hook up?"  That was what I was hoping for here.

When I initially reloaded the laptop it did not automatically recognize anything then either.  That's when I figured I'd have to do it, somehow, manually.

Ethernet card in her laptop is a D-Link DWL-G650.  It is in the external slot that accepts the flat cards that are about the size of a small checkbook. 

??

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »
                    Do you have a CD with driver for it?
                    Also, check Device Manager for any errors (yellow "?", or "!" marks).

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                      « Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »
                      You are keeping pretty busy on this forum this morning.  I hope your overtime pay is good.

Thanks.  Yes, after getting into device manager again I remembered being there before.  There are two yellow, "?," stamps there.  The D-Link card seems to be missing it's driver.  So far, we cannot find a driver CD.  She's still looking.

I went to D-Link's website thinking I might download a driver to this computer, save it on a CD, and pretend it's the regular driver CD.  No luck so far finding a download, but I might need to go back and look farther.

When this is over I suspect her laptop will be in better shape than before. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 12:53:14 PM »
                      Your driver is here: http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=11
                      What is the other "?" mark for?

I hope your overtime pay is good
                      We're all volunteers.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                        « Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »
                        She found the CD.  Worked fine.  Lit up the active LED on the wireless card.  But now I evidently need to find the, "network key," code/number.  I'll see if I can find it on this computer. 

Wireless link is, "talking," but cannot pull up IE yet.

I figured you were all volunteers, which I appreciate.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                          • Computer Help Forum
                        « Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 01:22:03 PM »
                        What is the other yellow "?" mark for?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                          « Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 01:28:03 PM »
                          Yellow marks went away.  They were associated with one another.  One yellow flag, then the second inset just below it.  Driver fixed both.

Apparently the, "key," number is the only thing holding things up.  So far, I can't find where to get that.  Error window suggests it is created/provided by the administrator, (which might be me?), but I'm not sure where to look next.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                            • Computer Help Forum
                          « Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 01:31:26 PM »
                          I evidently need to find the, "network key," code/number
                          What is the full message, and when exactly it pops-up?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                            « Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »
                            It has popped up at various times. 

However, from a clean desktop, no programs running, I click on the lower right toolbar icon, "wireless connection unavailable," and it brings up window that says:

"  Wireless Network Connection" 

Within that window available connection is blue-highlighted as, "default."

Note below that says, "this wireless network requires use of network key (WEP), to access the internet."

Then there is a blank box within which to type in the key, (if I knew what the key was).

Does this help?

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                              • Computer Help Forum
                            « Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 02:07:12 PM »
                            You have to use other computer to access D-Link setup page at http://192.168.2.1, and you'll find that key under Security.
                            I use Belkin, but there is a checkbox "Obscure PSK". If unchecked, it'll reveal password (normally hidden behind asterisks)

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                              « Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
                              I got the wireless card working fine.  Device manager says it's fine.  Now I just get, "can't access server," when I bring up IE.  I go under, "Tools," and internet options and can't seem to find anything there.

Next I'll try the set up through Outlook Express, maybe that will help.

I think I just don't have the right numbers in for internet access via, "our," particular ISP.

Getting tired.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                • Computer Help Forum
                              « Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 05:11:43 PM »
                              Go Start>Run, type in:
                              cmd
                              Click OK.
                              At Command Prompt, type in:
                              ipconfig /all
                              Hit Enter.
                              Post back with what it says.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                « Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 06:13:13 PM »
                                Here is what comes up in the black window, (looks like DOS stuff):

Microsoft Windows XP  v. 5.1.2600
                                Windows IP configuration:
                                Host Name.......................CPQ219632575 23
                                Primary Dns Suffix................................. ........
                                Node Type...........................Hybrid
                                IP routing enabled...............Yes
                                WINS Proxy enabled............No
                                Ethernet adapter wireless network connection:
                                Connection specific DNS Suffix...........................
                                Description............................ D-Link AirPlus G650 wireless card bus adapter rev. C
                                Physical address........................00-OF-3D-AA-20-5F
                                Dhcp enabled.............................yes
                                Autoconfiguration enabled.........yes
                                Autoconfiguration IP address...............169.254.154.246
                                Subnet mask................................... ......255.255.0.0
                                default gateway................................ .......................
                                Ethernet adapter local area connection:
                                media state.............................media disconnected
                                description........................Nati onal Semiconductor Corp. DP83815
                                physical address...............00-0B-CD-EA-B8-B2

That's it. 

I wrote a note to myself this morning from looking at one of the other computers here with this:
                                IP...........192.168.200.100
                                Subnet mask   255.255.255.0
                                gateway    192.168.200.1

I wonder if this indicates a mis-match?

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                  • Computer Help Forum
                                « Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 06:28:07 PM »
                                Go back to cmd, type in following command:
                                ipconfig /flushdns
                                Hit Enter
                                ipconfig /registerdns
                                Hit Enter
                                ipconfig /release
                                Hit Enter
                                ipconfig /renew
                                Hit Enter

Type in:
                                ping www.computerhope.com
                                Hit Enter.
                                What does it say?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                  « Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 06:49:29 PM »
                                  I timed out while typing; will try again:

I did what you said.  Following the," renew," command, there was a time delay.  Then the response was, " An error occured while renewing interface wireless network connection.  Unable to contact your DHCP server.  Request has timed out."

I went ahead and typed in:  ping www.computerhope.com, anyway, but it merely returned, "could not find host."  Probably because I never succeeded in establishing a real connection.

?

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                    • Computer Help Forum

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                    « Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 07:11:16 PM »
                                    Found that icon group.  NO network bridge is shown. 

Does show the wireless device, etc.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                      • Computer Help Forum

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                      « Reply #36 on: February 02, 2008, 07:58:35 PM »
                                      Whew. 
                                      I pulled up that site, clicked on the preferred download mirror, and got, " page not found."  I tried to look at the antivirus text, but it would not load. 

They say that it is, "fairly safe," to use, as a last resort, which makes me nervous. 

Would I be ahead to just reload the laptop again, like I did last night?  Or is this a corrupt file that will re-occur every time I reload the laptop?

As a curious aside, this laptop has not been able to recharge it's battery from the AC cord almost since new.  After reloading, the darned thing acts like it's charging again.

??

I'll try that fix page again, but I'm becoming weary of it all and may give it up for the night pretty soon.  (I'd hate to foul something up).

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                        • Computer Help Forum
                                      « Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 08:01:42 PM »
                                      Would I be ahead to just reload the laptop again
                                      I don't think, it's gonna help, and besides, you can do it at any point, later.
                                      Winsock repair is worth to try.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                        « Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 08:12:34 PM »
                                        I'll keep trying the winsock repair.  If I can download it here on my pc and onto a CD, maybe it will run on the laptop.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                          • Computer Help Forum
                                        « Reply #39 on: February 02, 2008, 08:17:03 PM »
                                        It sure will.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                          « Reply #40 on: February 03, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »
                                          Good morning.  Still at it.
                                          Downloaded winsock repair; saved to CD; placed CD in ailing laptop;  CD won't open.
                                          Went to bed.
                                          Got up; went back and reloaded the whole laptop all over again with recovery disks.  Created restore point when it finished.   With no ethernet card in place, I inserted CD for ethernet D-Link card and loaded driver.  Shut off machine. Inserted D-Link wireless card; restarted. 
                                          Under card configure, I think, I managed to improve the situation in that I began to see a wireless connection, "speed," when I held the cursor over that point in the lower right hand screen tool bar.  I also noticed about this time that the laptop picked up the correct time-of-day.  (Two days ago it never did that, I had to do it manually) 

Currently it says, Wireless connection, "signal strength excellent." 

I better post this before I'm timed out.
                                          Dennis

Now when I click on IE, it still says not connected.  The window now that keeps coming up is one that demands a

Broni

Mastermind
                                            • Computer Help Forum
                                          « Reply #41 on: February 03, 2008, 12:10:44 PM »
                                          The window now that keeps coming up is one that demands a
                                          ??

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                            « Reply #42 on: February 03, 2008, 12:11:45 PM »
                                            I must be really tired; I'm messing up my postings.

All previously written in last post is OK.

I still don't connect to the world.  I put in mail settings in her Outlook Express, but when I come back to pull up OE, it says it can't find server.  

Same with Internet Explorer....can't find server.

I wonder now if I merely have a bad entry in my internet/ISP access.  I'm trying to compare everything to this desktop, but have not yet found anything missing.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                              • Computer Help Forum
                                            « Reply #43 on: February 03, 2008, 12:17:01 PM »
                                            Let's recheck some settings..
                                            Go to cmd, type in:
                                            ipconfig /all
                                            Hit Enter.
                                            What does it say?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                              « Reply #44 on: February 03, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »
                                              Sorry.  The un-ended sentence two postings above was to state that the window that usually keeps coming up demands a, wireless network key "WEP,"  for the wireless access.  I don't know what that key code/number would be and cannot find it on my desktop.  Must relate to wireless encryption.  

Now I walked back to the laptop and it has dropped connection and says disconnected again.  It seems to be flip-flopping from connected to disconnected.  

It's done this twice, at least, over the past half-hour.  I'll bet if I go back and do configure again, it will come back.

Dennis (soon to be drinking)

Broni

Mastermind
                                                • Computer Help Forum
                                              « Reply #45 on: February 03, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »
                                              Dennis...
                                              the window that usually keeps coming up demands a, wireless network key "WEP,"  for the wireless access.
                                              Look at my reply #27:
                                              You have to use other computer to access D-Link setup page at http://192.168.2.1, and you'll find that key under Security.
                                              I use Belkin, but there is a checkbox "Obscure PSK". If unchecked, it'll reveal password (normally hidden behind asterisks)

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                « Reply #46 on: February 03, 2008, 12:31:21 PM »
                                                Trying to catch up.  I'll act on your last post momentarily, but here is the result of your cmd line request:

Windows IP Configuration
                                                Host name.................CPQ2196325723
                                                Node type..............Hybrid
                                                IP rounting enabled...........no
                                                windows proxy enabled...........no

Ethernet adapter local area connection

media state...........media disconnected
                                                description.........Nat'l semiconductor, etc.
                                                physical address.............00-0B-CD-EA-B8-B2

Ethernet adapter wireless network connection
                                                media state .............media disconnected
                                                description..........Dk-Link AirPlus DWL-G650, etc.
                                                C:/Documents& Settings/owner>

I'll look for that key again.

Dennis

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                  « Reply #47 on: February 03, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »
                                                  Now I remember:  that D-Link setup page you posted link for just comes up," Cannot display page." 

I'll go to D-Link homepage again and look for security.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                                    • Computer Help Forum
                                                  « Reply #48 on: February 03, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »
                                                  that D-Link setup page you posted link for just comes up," Cannot display page."
                                                  You're not using laptop to do this? You must use the other (working) computer.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                    « Reply #49 on: February 03, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »
                                                    Yes, I'm using the working computer to look up D-Link.  (but I am fast approaching being that flaky)  I just looked at D-Link's page for our model card, can find specs, etc., but no security revealations yet.

Broni

Mastermind
                                                      • Computer Help Forum
                                                    « Reply #50 on: February 03, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »
                                                    My bad...D-Link setup page is at http://192.168.0.1/

Broni

Mastermind
                                                      • Computer Help Forum
                                                    « Reply #51 on: February 03, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
                                                    I just looked at D-Link's page for our model card, can find specs, etc., but no security revealations yet.
                                                    Dig around. It has to be there. I, being on different router, can't access that site.

Broni

Mastermind
                                                      • Computer Help Forum
                                                    « Reply #52 on: February 03, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »
                                                    Enable WEP (D-Link)
                                                    Enabling WEP* (Wired Equivalent Privacy) will require anyone wishing to access the Internet through your wireless network to enter a password. After the correct password is entered, a connection is established, and all data sent from the D-Link to the computer and back is encrypted. From the D-Link configuration screen:

1. Click the "Home" tab.
                                                    2. Click the "Wireless" button.
                                                    3. Click the "Open System" button next to "Authentication".
                                                    4. Click the "Enabled" button next to "WEP".
                                                    5. Set the "WEP Encryption" to "128 bit".
                                                    6. Set the "Key Type" to "ASCII".
                                                    7. Type a 13 digit password into "Key 1".
                                                    8. Click "Apply".
                                                    9. When you connect to your wireless network from a computer, you will need to enter the 13 digit password.
                                                    *Note: If your computer's operating system supports it, enabling WPA is more secure than WEP. The steps above can be modified to set up WPA.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                      « Reply #53 on: February 03, 2008, 01:06:28 PM »
                                                      Thanks.  That D-Link, link you changed works much differently. (grin)  Now I'm looking for my password to access it.  I see how it can work.  When we set up our present ISP a year or so ago, the installer put in all this info.  So I have to work hard now to sort out where everything is.

We work on a radio link from here to a tower in a farmer's yard, bounces from there to grain elevator, then into town. Not that all that has anything to do with this....

This will take me some time.  First, I'm going to take a long walk in the snow.  I'll post back.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                                        • Computer Help Forum
                                                      « Reply #54 on: February 03, 2008, 01:20:02 PM »
                                                      I'll be gone for few hours, so I'll check on you later.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                        « Reply #55 on: February 03, 2008, 05:47:59 PM »
                                                        I timed out again.  I'll try to remember all I just wrote...........

I can get the laptop to connect to the router.  i.e., lower right hand screen toolbar icon says, "54Mbps," and "excellent signal strength." 

When I try IE it fails, giving message cannot find server.  When I try Outlook Express it gives error, "can't find mail server." 

And if I continue to try these programs, the connection dies.

So I think I am now able to achieve the connection, but when I try any program that needs to send data, the encryption feature sees a foreign attempt to use the connection and it dies.  (novice at work here)

If I can find our user name and password to access the D-Link security URL you gave me, I could probably find the network key, plug that in the wireless utility window and I might be good. 

Am searching all our paperwork in the hope that was written down somewhere.  So far no luck.

I see your instructions which seem to show how to set up this all new, but I hesitate to fool with our entire system as we have the two main computers working fine now.  I don't need to knock it all down.

So I'm searching paperwork. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                                          • Computer Help Forum
                                                        « Reply #56 on: February 03, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »
                                                        I can get the laptop to connect to the router.  i.e., lower right hand screen toolbar icon says, "54Mbps," and "excellent signal strength."
                                                        That only means, that your card is seeing the router, but apparently, there is no connection between the card, and your laptop.

I see your instructions which seem to show how to set up this all new, but I hesitate to fool with our entire system
                                                        I posted that quote from some site, just to let you know where to go to see the WEP key. I don't want you to change anything.

Check also this thread

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                          « Reply #57 on: February 03, 2008, 10:25:42 PM »
                                                          Well, now that's an interesting thread.  I copied it to a Word doc. and printed it out.  I'll study it over a bit.  Sounds as if there is, "stuff," going on. 

I was called away for a bit.  Two of the boys are here visiting with their snowmobile.  Evidently they went for a little ride about 7 PM in the dark.  Got lost 2 or 3 miles out in the wheatfields.  Found their way back just as I was leaving in the Cherokee to go looking.  Would never know they are in their mid-30's.  In some directions here there's nothing for miles. 

Kids.  My wife's still in the other room lecturing...............

More in the morning.

Thanks, Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                                            • Computer Help Forum
                                                          « Reply #58 on: February 03, 2008, 10:39:36 PM »
                                                          No problem :)

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                            « Reply #59 on: February 04, 2008, 09:53:04 AM »
                                                            I sat down this AM with the, "other thread," printed out.  Pretty interesting.

1st, I tried the fix that worked for, "JilleBean, " under, "Go To Device Manager in XP."  I followed through carefully and when I got to the last step there was nothing there to enable me to change or insert the MAC address.  I have no option like his.  Dead end. 

2nd, I tried the fix that worked for, "edinvent," under, "Go To Network Places."  I got to the drop down menu that listed the desired, "repair," and it was not highlighted.  i.e., could not click on it at all. Dead end.

The other fix by, "John," seemed to involve getting into the router software which I am avoiding for the time being and, Broni, you said not to change anything yet anyway. 

I did find the basic documention for our router and wireless card.  I looked at the underside of the wireless care and found the MAC address which is a six digit string, alpha/numeric. 

I still cannot find the network key for our router and now doubt I will find it.

I'd prefer to hack away on just the laptop as I think the problem must be there.  And, again, I'm avoiding getting into the router software in fear of disturbing our whole, "system."

??

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                                              • Computer Help Forum
                                                            « Reply #60 on: February 04, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
                                                            I'm avoiding getting into the router software in fear of disturbing our whole, "system."
                                                            I don't want you to change anything.Just look around, if you can find that key.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                              « Reply #61 on: February 04, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »
                                                              Agreed.
                                                              Besides, company this evening; they are leaving tomorrow.

One thing to remember is that because of your help the laptop is running just fine, again.  This problem is just a post-recovery nuisance. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                                                • Computer Help Forum
                                                              « Reply #62 on: February 04, 2008, 08:05:38 PM »
                                                              I like EVERYTHING to be solved....LOL

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                                « Reply #63 on: February 05, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »
                                                                Back again.
                                                                First, while I had some, "down time," I dug out my MS XP SP2 disk I had MicroSoft send me in the past.  Not having the laptop working yet on an internet connection, this way I was able to load SP2  while I was out of ideas about fixing the connection problem.

SP2 seems now to do a little better job of showing various windows for dealing with my connection.  So I went back and re-tried everything I had done before.  No luck.  I can still connect to the router, I just cannot send/receive data.

I looked in my leaflets that came with my D-Link hardware.  I found the section where the network key is built and noticed my handwritten note to type in the key, but no key noted.  On a hunch, I typed in, "admin," for user AND password.  It worked.  So both I and the ISP installer had never created a password.  (And I still have not).  So now I tried everything again, including powering down the router, etc., and bringing them back up.

No luck.

So I have made progress but have yet to solve the problem of wireless transmission and reception.

I don't have any new ideas at the moment.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                                                  • Computer Help Forum
                                                                « Reply #64 on: February 05, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »
                                                                I just checked your post #30 about ipconfig, and it looks to me like there is something wrong with your laptop IP address.
                                                                Go here: http://www.hotcomm.com/FAQ/FAQ_staticIPXP.asp
                                                                and look at Assign the IP address paragraph to see how to change IP address...
                                                                In second image:

force your laptop to Use the following IP address ('tick" that option)
                                                                Your IP, and Gateway address should read:
                                                                192.168.0.1 (BTW another mystery here is why your other computer reads 192.168.2.1, since it's not D-Link, but Belkin address)
                                                                Leave Subnet mask the same: 255.255.0.0

Check also your other computer for this entry:
                                                                IP routing enabled...............Yes
                                                                This setting on my computer is set to No

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                                  « Reply #65 on: February 05, 2008, 07:37:51 PM »
                                                                  Just did that.  Inserted IP addy and left subnet mask as it was.

Checked my IP rounting enabled with the cmd line and it was already set to , "no."

Restarted laptop.  Acted, again, like it was working to the router, but when I clicked in Internet Explorer, it hesitated, then brought up the same window, "no current connection available." 

Broni

Mastermind
                                                                  • Thanked: 614
                                                                    • Computer Help Forum
                                                                  • OS: Windows 8
                                                                  « Reply #66 on: February 05, 2008, 07:40:50 PM »
                                                                  Try both numbers: 192.168.2.1, 192.168.0.1

Broni

Mastermind
                                                                    • Computer Help Forum
                                                                  « Reply #67 on: February 05, 2008, 07:41:41 PM »
                                                                  Also, if you have a friend with laptop, try your card in there. Maybe something wrong with card itself.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                                    « Reply #68 on: February 08, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »
                                                                    FIXED.

I've been busy; just not on this forum.  I did a lot of scratching around.  Called my ISP yesterday.  They said the radio system I'm on assigns an address for us.  Then my router assigns an address, (or I assign it).  Then the separate computers within our home have addresses.  First, we disabled the encryption, (we live miles out in wheat fields and that kind of security is not important to me at this point). We still had trouble getting communication of data between laptop and router, just as you, Broni, were aware of.  They asked to see the laptop when we went into town today.  Once there, he said it appeared that D-Link and Windows were both trying to set up communication.  Frankly, I don't know what all he did, but he did re-assign an IP address to 192.168.200.101, and it worked. 

So I'm up and running.  Downloading Grisoft AVG as I type this.

Thank you Broni, for all your courtesies and help. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                                                                      • Computer Help Forum
                                                                    « Reply #69 on: February 08, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
                                                                    Great!!! Super news!!!

Chir6

Rookie
                                                                      • Yes
                                                                      • RepairStar
                                                                    • Certifications: List
                                                                    • OS: Windows 7
                                                                    Re: Error 0x0000008c ATTENTION HP OWNERS!
                                                                    « Reply #70 on: September 01, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
                                                                    I ran into this one too.  If you have a HP computer and Windows XP tries to automatically install SP3, you will have this problem too.  What you need to do is go to HP website and download and install a patch before you install service pack three to avoid this.  Try restoring your computer to an earlier time before SP3. 

Admin edit: I don't mind the mention of OneCare however do not like to affiliate programs.
                                                                    « Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:29:46 PM by Computer Hope Admin »