Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Safe Mode  (Read 4060 times)

vece_78

Safe Mode
« on: April 16, 2004, 04:40:16 AM »
   Hi, my friend has a desktop Compaq Presario 5000 series.  His OS is Window ME, processor AMD 800 MHz, RAM 64 MB, Graphics card is NVIDIA VANTA LT, hard disk 20 GB.   The problem he face now is it keeps going into Safe Mode whenever he turn on his computer.  The last time normal operation was before using internet explorer and then it got hang up.  Then, he restarted the computer, since then, it goes into Safe Mode.  

Before it goes into Window, there is a message in DOS stated that Window is unable to process registry and run command "SCANREG /FIX" to fix the problem.

After I restart the computer (in Safe Mode), it prompted that a new hardware found and add new hardware wizard has occurred.  Therefore, I have followed the instruction in install but to no avail.  Then, I checked the device manager, there is no display driver. Then, since I don;t have the driver CD, I tried to install the display driver using Window search but there's none in the list.  

Therefore, is it possible that some system files might be corrupted.  Besides that, is there any other potential problems with regards to this (in Safe Mode) ?

As for the hardware, is it possble that the display card itself spoilt ?  

Another thing is do you guys know that is it possible to format any Compaq PC's hard disk ? This is because I have tried to format the hard disk but the computer can;t detect my bootable win2000 CD (I have changed the first boot device to CD-ROM).  Is there any special settings done to the Compaq computer such that we can;t format it ? (which means that we only have to use their "quick recovery CD" to restore back to factory settings).  

wrathchild_67

Re: Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 04:09:34 PM »